Panther Ausf A Late.

Stef N.

I may run out of time to finish this by January but it has been sat on my shelf since the summer and I feel I need to get it done. I bought it on a day trip to Ely after the first lockdown had ended. (I drove there to check out a model shop and to get out of town before I went mad 😀.) My first Das Werk kit and so far, so good. Looking at the others that have been made on this group build, and a good look at the sprues, it should be pretty straightforward. I also got the DW/Atak Zim to help me along. And so much of the glue Redcoat suggested that I'll have enough to build a Hannants full of Panthers.

I was building some Friul tracks for a Late G, sat on the shelf of doom, but I thought why waste them on that and just use them on this instead. Plus I'll still have the kit tracks to finish off the G at a later date (i.e probably never.)

I spent last night doing a bit of research on a suitable tank to build/paint and a GrossDeutschland was first thought about but that needed Zim on the track guards as well going by a couple of photos I'd seen. The Normandy ones also looked good but then I found this one in a book I had which looks very interesting, with a dash of colour and a tough camo scheme (but they all look tough schemes in late 44 anyway.)

spacer.pngspacer.png

Obligatory box and sprues shots.

p?i=bc55b7657f1aa69bb8a53e3cb47fcad6

p?i=e39a4990e90cd24dc89e575039bfed0e

p?i=003bd0092cd8fcbb3e8b30227f6f039b

Tracks are already made but I think that is well out of the 25% rule.😀

Also some decals are on their way. Trying some from Echelon to see how they perform. (And some from Star just in case.)

spacer.png

I'll try my hardest to get this finished and as this is my first time using this DW/Atak Zim I may be asking a few questions.

Cheers all.👍

P.s. Ridiculous amount of glue. The only one left in the whole of my local B and Q. Everything else fully stocked.

p?i=f9349e96243d2ebfdf5965736deb448b

• Like 5

Looks a good subject Stef, I will be watching this build with interest as I am looking to get this kit, at present I only have a couple of the older A kits from Dragon.  Any help I can give just ask. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing this one Stef.......and how the DW work's out in the build. Make sure you post the issue's as I had some with a DW Flak gun. Curious on how their bigger kits go together. Bummer on the grab glue size........

Good luck....:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Simon. Just been trying out that Atak Zim and grab glue and so far so very good. The Zim is very easy to use and fit and tougher than it looks. The glue does exactly what you said. Smooth sticking and filling any gaps that may occur (not many) and giving a far smoother edge. Cheers for the tip.👍

• Like 1

Little update. The tidying up of the wheels and shell, adding some zimmerit.

p?i=e6ac56e20b62269daaa324889a675adbp?i=f4ff583fa19a3a5aae230e50b755ce56

p?i=0068f45a1af74385f62994b02dc0ce92

If you are going to do this model don't add these plates. All information that I can find suggests that they only went on an Ausf G. There are different shaped plates for a Late A but I can find no evidence, other than one drawing, that they were used, so as most of this will be hidden they won't be used. Luckily I was going to take them off as the zim behind them needs taking away, so it saves me a job.

Cheers all.

• Like 9

Missed this one Stef, quite a box full of goodies!

I know what you mean about the grab adhesive, do you think there are more people applying resin zimm than you'd imagine?

Went to B&Q back in Oct on Simon's recommendation and nothing,  absolutely nothing, wasn't even available online, completely sold out....

I'll watch this with interest,  I've the same kit and zimm in the stash so be good to pick up and tips. 

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

I have 280ml of the stuff and by the end of the build I'll have 275ml left. I've even ordered an Elefant to use up some more of it. 😀

If in a couple of months you are still struggling to find any give me a shout and I can send you the remainders. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, by my reckoning one polymer grab adhesive should be as good as another for this job....famous last words !

If I prove myself wrong I might take you up!

Who have you found that supplies the atak resin zimm, I've the DW one which I believe is atak but some of the other sets would be handy.

Cheers

Darryl 

8 hours ago, Stef N. said:

The Atak and DW sets I got from Modellbau Koenig in Germany. They had most in stock last time I looked. And as I needed a few books and other bits the postage wasn't as stupid as it could have been. 

Thanks,  I'm trying to get all my orders in from abroad before Jan 01st so MBK might get a look. Already orderd from Mojo /Super hobby Poland and Mig in Spain so what's one more order, it's only money....

Spent €85 at Mig (Mig black Friday sale is tremendous btw) it was only afterwards I noticed if I'd spent €95 I'd have had free postage.......

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have bought from MBK Germany and Spotmodel of Spain and they are both handy companies to have had around as they tend to have the bits you can't get over here. Not that much slower delivery times either and prices are comparable.Just have to have a good sized order. I'm pretty well stashed up for a good few months now but hopefully after the new year they are still viable options to use.

• Like 2

It's looking likely that I will run out of time as this is taking longer than I thought it would. The good thing is that I am learning how to use the Atak/DW zim and it is very nice to work with. Most of it is straigtforward, with only a little bit of fettling to contend with. The Das Werk kit is great, with one exception, the fit is really good.

p?i=811f1f6507803292c4bf3e45b195423d

p?i=b47db9ac7b3af1adb02f437f5e4dfbc6

The exception to the good fit of parts is the backplate. It's a tight fit without zim, with zim it is not going together at all. You either have to shave off the molded mold seam or take about a milimetre off either side of the zim. Not a big problem unless you glue the zim to the plate before doing the adjustments.😳 And gluing the back plate to the main body is a bit of a faff and will need superglue to get it in place quickly and securely.

p?i=55bcd740dc5381dbde4e448ca8b5e048

In not unrelated news I treated myself to a decent camera as my mobile is pretty poor. Now I just have to spend a few days trying to figure out how it works.

Cheers all.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Stef N. said:

It's looking likely that I will run out of time as this is taking longer than I thought it would. The good thing is that I am learning how to use the Atak/DW zim and it is very nice to work with. Most of it is straigtforward, with only a little bit of fettling to contend with. The Das Werk kit is great, with one exception, the fit is really good.

The exception to the good fit of parts is the backplate. It's a tight fit without zim, with zim it is not going together at all. You either have to shave off the molded mold seam or take about a milimetre off either side of the zim. Not a big problem unless you glue the zim to the plate before doing the adjustments.😳 And gluing the back plate to the main body is a bit of a faff and will need superglue to get it in place quickly and securely.

Panther's looking good with the zimm, the b&q grab adhesive worked ok?

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

Aye, it works a treat. I was a bit overly cautious on some parts so there are a few gaps while some parts I used more and it worked as a good filler. The tip of using white spirit to clean also works.👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dads203 said:

That looks superb mate, the B&Q Zim glue is looking a fantastic way to go :thumbsup:

I was going to use Pritt Stick on my build just to grab the resin but this looks better.

Sods law that now its uses have been discovered, thanks to Simon, B&Q have decided to stop stocking it. Luckily if you google polymer grab adhesive places like Toolstation and Screwfix have their own generic types and I presume they are roughly the same. Including one with a mildly sweary and amusing brand name.😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

That zimmerit looks really good, I'm looking forward to seeing it with some paint on. :thumbsup:

I haven't touched the airbrush in a few weeks and am getting an itchy trigger finger.😀 I normally miss out the primer stage but I'll definitely give it a good coat of Mr Surfacer this time and see how it goes. Hopefully the thinner doesn't react with the glue. I'll give it a trial on a small section and see how it fares.

When it comes to it I will need peoples advice on weathering the zim. I did it once before on a Dragon KT and it ended up too dark and also on some Tamiya zim, but that had zero texture so looked poor whatever I used.

Very impressive work with the Zimmerit! It’s going to take your build to the next level! Very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing it with the paint going on.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1