DAF Dealer Team Truck 1992 Dakar

I thought I'd open another box and get the saw out. This kit has been in various lofts for quite a few years, it was even put up for sale at one point, but with no takers I have decided to convert it to the Jan de Rooy 1992 Dakar Rally Truck. As there were two trucks entererd, No.381 badged 2800 and No.382 badged 3300, I've yet to decide which to go for but early leanings are the 3300. A plea for photos via Facebook elicited a decent walkaround selection fom a kind modeller who was vsisting a Dutch motor event at Zandvoort to go along with images I've found from various trawls on the internet. Recently I stumbled across a photo of the interior rear section of the box stuffed with much equipment, this is an area that too is still being considered, but knowing I'm a glutton for punishment the rear doors may get blown off 😉

Sadly a decent set of blueprints eludes me at his time, if anyone has a set please PM me. I predict a very slow build schedule for this. At least I'll have a handy skip to throw all the unused bits in 🤣

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

18 hours ago, richellis said:

You could try De-Rooy as I’m sure they did lots of Dakar DAF conversions

Thanks Rich, they are indeed Jan de Rooy trucks bit I think the conversion, or maybe just the box, was done by Lamboo in Holland. It now resides in the DAF museum.

• 2 weeks later...

As Royal Mail appear intent on not delivering orders of modelling materials and books other projects have stalled. And so last week was spent generating the artwork for the decals for this beast, little did I know they'd fill nearly one and a half A4 sheets. Looking at period photos and some from recent motor events it appaers this vehicle has been zapped by quite a few companies applying their stickers. Thanks go to a Dutch contact for making sense of some of the sticker wording and pointing me at an excellent reference source on Facebook.

Now I'm into researching the door furniture for the 'box'. This drawing of the door latches popped up on a n internet search, I know there are white metal aftermarket ones available but I've never been a fan of that particular material. These will probably end up being a mix of 3D printed and metal or plastic rod. I've also put out a query regarding the paint codes, I think the yellow is a DAF colour 'Yacco Geel' and the closest match I can get to the blue is a Vallejo colour from their aircraft range [sacrilage I know].  Sorry there's no actual modelling going on, but as with decorating, it's all in the preparation!😉

spacer.png

• Like 2

Dear Mr. Italeri this is a truck kit not The Bismark! Just look at the sink holes on this 😲

I'm trying to fathom out how much to remove and where to chop the chassis rails and thought I may have to build up the axles as a reference point, but look at the springs. Do I fill or remake them as they will be hidden behind the mahoosive tyres?

spacer.png

• Sad 1

Well I've had the saw out again some modelling has been done starting with chopping a chunk out of the chassis rails and thy're now all trussed up for xmas 😉 . The rear axles are assembled too now awaiting the DAF Hub Reduction Drive Hubs from KFS and the sink holes in the springs have been filled.

spacer.png

• Like 2

The chassis is now back together, you may spot the reinforcing plasticard plate, and most of the components have been added, there's a bit of warpage in the rails but I think once the engine is dropped in that will square up the front end. Some remedial work has been done to a few parts that were either broken or missing locating pins and the moulded-in towng pin has been replaced with some plastic rod.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by mbdesignart
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd make a start with the xmas coloured plastic 😁

spacer.png

Looking at more ref photos, but there's not a lot of period detail shots to be had, there looks to be some scratchbiulding ahead. A box between the seat which I guess is a cooler box, the nav instruments and the airconditioning unit. And the cab rear window needs panelling over.

spacer.png

Also got around to fathoming out the tyre and rim sizes and hit the CAD software which has resulted in something I'm happy with. I may add some Michelin and sizing text, but it wasn't that big on the original rally set. The rears, beig super singles, will sit on some Hub Reduction hubs from KFS.

spacer.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The big wheels have been resin 3D resin printed and they've come out pretty well after experimenting with a new process. Little did I know they were full of liquid resin a bit like jam filled donuts 🤣 until my contact suggested I drill 2 holes in each, one drain one vent. That explained the weight! Along with the Transit conversion bits these have had a coat of Vallejo Primer but it hasn't reached the parts as well asother primers have no trouble in reaching. Other ongoing projects are slowing the process of this build but I knew it was going to be a slow burner.

I did manage to find some door closers for the cargo box from Aber, an exquisitly detailed etch set, which arrived pretty quickly from Spotmodel. I just need someone who knows how to weild a soldering iron to return a favour.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

Yes another project rescued from the days of yore. I've been playing 'Can I create a 3D model of this?' with the aim of creating the box body. I'd thought printing the sections flat would be the easiest route, as opposed to making everything from plasticard with multi layers, and a bonus is that all the riveting and panel line scribing would be done at the same time, as opposed to sticking them on individually like some aircraft modeller 😬.  A while back I'd bought a set of etch handles and brackets for the doors but I've never been much good at folding etch and my attempts at soldering only ends up with burnt fingers and the etch bits still in separate parts and so those have been 3D modelled too. Still some way to go but it's keeping me quiet, until I attempt to do the roll cage - eek!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Whilst waiting for the first body section to print I attacked the cab with some tape to aid in scaling the roll cage. Fit and location is a bit hit and miss with the front of the roof just butting against the windscreen surround and the swage lines around the waist don't quite align. Once I get around to actual assembly I can see this needing a lot of fettling to achieve a neat fit and also it looks like the interior will need finishing before assembly, then masking to paint the exterior. UPDATE print issues resulted in two failed prints of the body sides which I can only put down to suction forces as it was printed flat to the bed. I'm hoping that redoing these set at an angle will prove successful.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

A few of the bespoke parts for the build have been produced. On the real truck the front grille vehicle model badges have been moved onto the bullbar and the ends which go into the front of the wings are deleted and so I decided to remake this, hopefully the radiator will now be visible through it [the kit part is shown upper left]. New headlamp housings are yet to be printed which go into the wing fronts to accommodate the headlights. Another pair of headlights were needed to go behind the bullbar, the new ones have larger bowls as per the real truck as the kit ones looked too small. Also some fold out steps are needed, four in all to go under the doors in the box body. These are essentially a tray with slide out tubular ladders secured by a rubber T bonnet latch. The boxy parts under the grille are fitted to the bumper, I can only guess these are some sort of towing/winching points. Also I remade the bonnet catches as there are four fitted as opposed to only two being in the kit. And whilst messing around a couple of new air horns were thrown into the mix.

spacer.png

Most of the box body side panels are done, only the l/h side to print. The rear section will need a flat piece of plasticard to mount the lights and number plate to and hopefully this will take out the kink in the cross bars. I think I mentioned previously I had a set of etch handles for the doors but I decided to produce these in 3D too. Some rods between the upper and lower closures will be required. I'd never would have had the patience to add every rivet or successfully score the panel joints by hand, no aircraft kits for me then 🤣

spacer.png

spacer.png

Due to the colour scheme and decalling the hinges and handles will have to be fitted last. Progress has been made on the external roll cage cad drawing, a print will tell me how accurate my scaling and measuring has been.

Thanks for following along, sorry about the length between posts but other things are on the bench too.

• Like 5

One step forward some steps back. The main section of the rollcage has come out ok, just a bit of filling and sanding needed. However, the bull bar has not fared so well with distortion and mesh failure. It looks like something off the pace car at the Pamplona Bull Run. I will up the diameter of the mesh and smaller frames and also print the these sections separately.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

The failed parts have been reprinted successfully, phew, along with a few other new parts which differ from the kit. Two new rectangular fuel tanks to replace the kit's round single one, headlamp housings which sit into the front wings, oval grilles for the bumper cutouts over the lower lights, cab step plates, AC unit grille, a satnav unit and the three part bullbar. Still remaining to be resolved are the air intake, exhaust and a filter/pump unit near one of the fuel tanks, oh and the extra equipment in cab interior.

spacer.png

• Like 5