Airfix... Swift!

Okay, here is the current project chez nous.

The 1/72 Supermarine Swift that Airfix did recently. A nice subject that I hope to do justice to.

As a figure modeller at heart, I have developed a technique that runs at odds with aircraft doctrine, so there'll be a few diversions from the usual etiquette, and a bit of artistic licence.

You have been warned.

Now... how do I post pictures??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes Dave, you do I'm afraid - the forum doesn't host images for 'security reasons' (says Mike).

There's a big thread on it here. Pays your money (or not) and takes your choice…

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Yes Dave, you do I'm afraid - the forum doesn't host images for 'security reasons' (says Mike).

There's a big thread on it here. Pays your money (or not) and takes your choice…

Ok thanks.

The memory required on a server to host the 100's (or 1000's?) of pictures posted here everyday would be very expensive - especially as the back catalogue would stretch back for thirteen years! I guess if we provide the image hosting, BM's server requirements are substantially reduced, which makes the website far more financially viable...?

• Like 5

Welcome @Big Dave S!

There are plenty of choices of photo hosting sites out there Dave. I chose Flickr (which you either love of hate!) which will host less than 1000 pictures for free. Over that amount and its annual subs. I host more than that these days so am happy to pay the annual subs. Give it a try and see what you think?

Looking forward to your "interesting" approach on the Swift!

Terry

• Like 1

20201203_211919

Hopefully this b@st3rd is visible.

Cos it was challenging to say the least to get it this far.....

I really need a better method of holding fuselages together.

This kit needs filler. Oh yes most definitely.

• Like 9

When you gash your leg open in the USA, they let you keep the forceps after removing the stitches.

Had a nice chat with the nurse that did the job, who was a modeller himself. Trains and boats.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Big Dave S said:

When you gash your leg open in the USA, they let you keep the forceps after removing the stitches.

Had a nice chat with the nurse that did the job, who was a modeller himself. Trains and boats.

Bit of an extreme length to go to get hold of a modelling tool.  Easier, less painful and probably cheaper to just buy a pair!  😉

AW

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

👋 I'm doing the same kit right now. About to close the fuselage and get the exhaust, intakes, cockpit and weights in the right place. Internet reviews indicate this can be tricksy 🤔. So far however straightforward and, aside from my own errors, no filler needed. Assuming no issues I would hope painting and decalling will be done by this time next week and into RFI the week after.🤞

I see you've made your choice as to photos but FWIW I use Chrome. I know it has issues compared to others but it's convenient and easy and I'm all for that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Properjob56 said:

👋 I'm doing the same kit right now. About to close the fuselage and get the exhaust, intakes, cockpit and weights in the right place. Internet reviews indicate this can be tricksy 🤔. So far however straightforward and, aside from my own errors, no filler needed. Assuming no issues I would hope painting and decalling will be done by this time next week and into RFI the week after.🤞

I see you've made your choice as to photos but FWIW I use Chrome. I know it has issues compared to others but it's convenient and easy and I'm all for that.

Yeah the fuselage needs some encouragement, but goes together - with a little filler here.

I'd be interested go see yours when finished?

• Like 1

On 11/29/2020 at 5:51 AM, Big Dave S said:

As a figure modeller at heart, I have developed a technique that runs at odds with aircraft doctrine, so there'll be a few diversions from the usual etiquette, and a bit of artistic licence.

Oooh, heretical doctrine!  Will you be using figure painting techniques on your Swift?  Oil paints perhaps?

Outside of medical context, I recall forceps mostly being used to clamp items rather less savoury than Airfix, indeed, sometimes whilst listening to the Sundays.  Mostly if there were girls in the party, circa 1991 it seems like every female I knew had a copy of Reading, Writing in heavy rotation. 

I look forward to whatever modelling blasphemies you have in store.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Oooh, heretical doctrine!  Will you be using figure painting techniques on your Swift?  Oil paints perhaps?

Outside of medical context, I recall forceps mostly being used to clamp items rather less savoury than Airfix, indeed, sometimes whilst listening to the Sundays.  Mostly if there were girls in the party, circa 1991 it seems like every female I knew had a copy of Reading, Writing in heavy rotation. 

I look forward to whatever modelling blasphemies you have in store.

90s music was a breath of fresh air after the decade that preceded it.

Enamels - on the whole - and an air brush except for the fiddly bits.

More musical references to follow. The modelling table sits opposite a drum kit. The two subjects are inseparable.

• Like 2

Whoever thought it made sense to have two pieces of clear plastic to stick together in the canopy front is an eejit.

EEJIT!

The insert has been launched across the room. Don't care where it is.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Be interested to see how you approach the painting of this one.  

I do like the 90s music,  but it's 80s all the way for me!!!

Chris

It's a very subjective topic (music). 

Spraying with enamels, brush painting the detail. Varnish and washes. 

Question is: will it stand up? Or sit on its &rse? Ballast.... it all about ballast.

• Like 3