Spitfire canopy replacement

IanC

Ever had that 'drop your newly masked and painted canopy on the floor then run over it with the swivel chair' moment?

It's happened to me which is why I'm asking if anyone knows of a suitable replacement for Eduard's 1/72 Spitfire Mk IX. Looks like I'll have to try a vac-form one, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Ian     

• Haha 2

I am pretty sure there are commercial vac form alternatives available commercially and that might be your easiest option though not the cheapest. Falcon make 1/72 canopy sets and while retailing at the big H for about £12 you get a load of other subjects in the box. If you model in 1/72 and can use the others it pans out across the box at a few quid per canopy. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, IanC said:

Ever had that 'drop your newly masked and painted canopy on the floor then run over it with the swivel chair' moment?

Accompanied by an "expensive sounding crunching noise" - it's optiminsed for the Airfix kit but it looks lilke Pavla offer a replacement for you

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, IanC said:

replacement for Eduard's 1/72 Spitfire Mk IX

Contact Eduard's spares department. 

The IX is still being sold in many versions, and they're good with replacement parts.

• Thanks 1

You can buy a complete new sprue directly from Eduard. It's not on the website as such, you have to make a support request when ordering it from them.

How do I know? Well, I dropped my newly masked and painted canopy on the floor and then ran over it with the swivel chair.

/Finn

Edit: Alt-92 beat me by 5 seconds 🙂, but consider buying a complete overtree set while you are there. Great value for your money and you can use your experience to make an ever better model.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

The IX is still being sold in many versions, and they're good with replacement parts.

I saw on their website you can buy an overtree for the clear sprue but it wasn't cost effective. It's the windscreen I really need and sadly there's only one on the sprue - inc the lowback Mk XVI. But I didn't realise they had a spares dept - that's good to know and I'll try that. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

You can buy a complete new sprue directly from Eduard. It's not on the website as such, you have to make a support request when ordering it from them.

How do I know? Well, I dropped my newly masked and painted canopy on the floor and then ran over it with the swivel chair.

/Finn

It hurts, doesn't it? 🙂

1 minute ago, IanC said:

I saw on their website you can buy an overtree for the clear sprue but it wasn't cost effective. It's the windscreen I really need and sadly there's only one on the sprue - inc the lowback Mk XVI. But I didn't realise they had a spares dept - that's good to know and I'll try that. Thanks!

It hurts, doesn't it? 🙂

Yes, I used a lot of words not used in front of children.

You don't have to buy a complete kit to get the extra clear sprue (runner?), the overtree solution was only a suggestion aimed at your next spitfire project.

/Finn

• Like 1

Ok, I just sent Eduard a support request. Many thanks for taking the trouble to respond and offer suggestions.

And note to self - don't move chair until parts safely retrieved from floor! 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

When I needed a new canopy for a 1/48 Bell X-1 (I'd lost the original), Eduard didn't charge me for a replacement, but said it would be sent out with my next order from the Eduard Store! Hence I now have a new Bf109F in the stash!

(They have a minimum order of US$20)

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Fifer54 said:

When I needed a new canopy for a 1/48 Bell X-1 (I'd lost the original), Eduard didn't charge me for a replacement, but said it would be sent out with my next order from the Eduard Store! Hence I now have a new Bf109F in the stash!

(They have a minimum order of US$20)

Hmm....:hmmm: Sounds like a cunning plan forming. How does this sound?

Gosh darling I’ve just broken a part but the good news the manufacturer will send me a replacement free if only I buy another model from them so I’ve just ordered a [here insert next purchase of choice] :wicked:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, JohnT said:

Hmm....:hmmm: Sounds like a cunning plan forming. How does this sound?

Gosh darling I’ve just broken a part but the good news the manufacturer will send me a replacement free if only I buy another model from them so I’ve just ordered a [here insert next purchase of choice] :wicked:

Worked for me . . .!😉

• Like 1

I tried to order a replacement part from Eduard spares department for my 72nd scale Spitfire VIII and the total cost including postage was more than buying the kit again from the Big H so was not cost effective.

On the other hand when I've needed spares for my Special Hobby or KP/AZ kits their spares departments have sent for free or for just around 5 euros to cover postage, so it's only worth requesting a spare from Eduard if you are also planning to buy another kit from them at the same time.

As for Airfix they are even worse as they seem to have an aversion to sending spares out and never actually send anything.

Regards

Colin.

Isn't the Eduard transparent sprue comprehensive for all marks?  It's been a minute since that build but I seem remember there were enough bits for many a Spit on a round sprue, including alternate windscreens and canopies.  If so, surely some friendly modeller near you has a leftover in the spares department.

22 hours ago, IanC said:

It's happened to me which is why I'm asking if anyone knows of a suitable replacement for Eduard's 1/72 Spitfire Mk IX. Looks like I'll have to try a vac-form one, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful!

Have you tried a 'Wanted' in this 'ere forum?

In theory any Mk.IX canopy should fit, or take minimum fettling to make it fit

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Isn't the Eduard transparent sprue comprehensive for all marks?  It's been a minute since that build but I seem remember there were enough bits for many a Spit on a round sprue, including alternate windscreens and canopies.  If so, surely some friendly modeller near you has a leftover in the spares department.

It's a common sprue but sadly only one windscreen.  

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

As it's the windscreen that's broken, not just any IX windscreen but any internal-armour fighter windscreen is worth a try i.e. one from a late V, VI, VII, VIII, X, XII, XIV, XVI, XVIII, 21, 22, or 24.

Yes I think I shall try and contrive something...

A thought: Do you plan to model with the canopy open? I'm asking, as I'm doing a couple of the same kits and are gluing the canopies on now.

If no, I'd try to get a Eduard replacement.

If yes, then the Falcon Spitfire special might be a better alternative, as the Eduard sliding section sit just a tad too high, which spoils the sleek look that it should have had.

Bonus: If yes, then it's possible that I have a spare for you.

/Finn

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

A thought: Do you plan to model with the canopy open? I'm asking, as I'm doing a couple of the same kits and are gluing the canopies on now.

If no, I'd try to get a Eduard replacement.

If yes, then the Falcon Spitfire special might be a better alternative, as the Eduard sliding section sit just a tad too high, which spoils the sleek look that it should have had.

Bonus: If yes, then it's possible that I have a spare for you.

/Finn

Thanks, but it's windscreen and canopy. And I was going to have it closed up anyway. Eduard spares/support dept came back to me very quickly, but unfortunately the postage costs were unrealistic. I could buy the kit here in the UK for less. 

But no matter - I've found something in the spares box that might fit the bill. Onwards and upwards...

1 hour ago, IanC said:

Thanks, but it's windscreen and canopy. And I was going to have it closed up anyway. Eduard spares/support dept came back to me very quickly, but unfortunately the postage costs were unrealistic. I could buy the kit here in the UK for less. 

But no matter - I've found something in the spares box that might fit the bill. Onwards and upwards...

Yes, the spares dept option more or less only works when you add it to a bigger order. In any case it's good news that your spares box justifies it self.

A Spitfire canopy is a Spitfire canopy is a Spitfire canopy is a Spitfire canopy. *)

/Finn

*) (Spitfire canopy=Spitfire canopy)=(Spitfire canopy=Spitfire canopy)

Given three different windscreens, three different sliding sections, and two different rears.  Not counting PRs or teardrops.  But by the time you reach the Mk.IX, it should be ok.

Not allowing for different interpretations by different modelmakers.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Given three different windscreens, three different sliding sections, and two different rears.  Not counting PRs or teardrops.  But by the time you reach the Mk.IX, it should be ok.

Not allowing for different interpretations by different modelmakers.

Yes, accept my humble apology. I was too focused on the Eduard VIII and IX which fills my desk right now.

• Like 1