Jump to content

SAAB AJS37 Viggen, 1/48th scale Tarangus


Recommended Posts

First off, sorry for being absent for a while...it´s been, you know....life :P

Anyways I´ve put togehter a AJS37 Viggen from Tarangus and it´s not for me! No, it´s a comission build! My first but not my last :D

To please a paying customer I set out to make a kit fit for a model show :D


I added CMK wheels, CMK reverse thrust paddles, Pilot replica ejection seat, Master pitot tubes and Eduard Mavericks on pylons from Maestro and some Moose Republic decals
Armed with all this after market I made this, painted with MRP.
 

DSC_5224.jpg

DSC_5226.jpg

DSC_5228.jpg

DSC_5230.jpg

DSC_5232.jpg

DSC_5234.jpg

DSC_5236.jpg

DSC_5238.jpg

DSC_5240.jpg

DSC_5242.jpg

DSC_5244.jpg

DSC_5246.jpg

DSC_5248.jpg

DSC_5250.jpg

DSC_5252.jpg

DSC_5254.jpg

DSC_5256.jpg

DSC_5258.jpg

DSC_5260.jpg

DSC_5262.jpg

DSC_5264.jpg

DSC_5265.jpg

DSC_5269.jpg

DSC_5270.jpg

DSC_5272.jpg

DSC_5274.jpg

DSC_5275.jpg

DSC_5277.jpg

DSC_5278.jpg

DSC_5279.jpg

DSC_5280.jpg

DSC_5281.jpg

DSC_5282.jpg

DSC_5283.jpg

DSC_5284.jpg


Thganx for looking :D
 

  • Like 65
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, redcap said:

Tremendous work and that splinter scheme is a work of art. Well done mate!

Gary

Thanx Gary :D

post shading it in zinc chromate yellow really brought it to life.

 

3 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

This splinter scheme is perfect. I never could do that.

Thanx Vesa :D

well I cheated with pre cut masks from maestro :P

 

3 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Beautiful! 
 

What’s the story behind the large white marking near the trailing edge? I have never seen that marking before. 

Thanx Brandsaw :D

 

the white markings are peacetime exercise markings to improve visibility. Later dayglo stickers were used but specially on grey viggens.

The white paint was acrylic and could render fantastic streaks when flying in wet conditions.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Stunning 

 

1 hour ago, John_W said:

I have nothing but admiration for anyone who can produce splinter camo on a Viggen. Stunning build.

 

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

An exceptional build. Never seen an AJS-37 loaded with Mavericks before.

Thanx SAT69 :D

I've seen a picture but I was told that apparently they never loaded 4, only 2 either on the body pylons or the wing pylons.

 

 

37 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Outstanding! The camouflage alone deserves the highest praise 👍

Thanx binbrook87 :D

I used cheat ready cut masks so it wasn't that bad

 

 

23 minutes ago, rodenlee said:

Absolutely brilliant modelling there!

 

Cheers

Shaun

Thanx Shaun :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fab job on the splinter:like:. The very thought of doing it puts me into a cold sweat🥶.  The temp white markings make it all the more interesting as well. Great skills all round.

 

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites

That one turns out excellent! Must be a terrific job with the splinter camouflage......you got a lot of nerves!

nice photography too with the black background.

thx for sharing 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It`s so cool to see your models👍. Fantastic work on this kit, especially the camo scheme. Just one question: did the AJ/ AJS fly with AIM-9s on the outboard pylons? Heard that this was due to flutter problems - anyone? Think they used the belly pylons for AIM-9 for BFM training, due to this.

I did the SH-37 with a full CMK update, but I think I need to mottle the camo more. Also kind of surprised that the wheels from ResKit did not fit with the undercarridge legs of the Special Hobby kit. I needed to make the pins myself, which I find disappointing. Need to find the mojo to finish this kit!

 

Keep em coming Aigore!

Link to post
Share on other sites

That is absolutely brilliant and great photography. With those skills, did you manage to grad a 1/32 Jetmads kit?.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alan P said:

One of the toughest schemes to pull off but you absolutely nailed it. Excellent work!

 

I hope you have a very happy customer and many more to follow 👍

 

Thanx Alan :D

I think I cracked the code on how to weather the viggen splinter scheme and make it look realistic, really pleased with the result.

And the customer promptly ordered 3 more viggen so I assume he is pleased :D

 

 

 

3 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Fab job on the splinter:like:. The very thought of doing it puts me into a cold sweat🥶.  The temp white markings make it all the more interesting as well. Great skills all round.

 

Pete

 

Thanx Pete :)

with ready cut masks it is not that bad, just be careful while masking :)

 

3 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

That one turns out excellent! Must be a terrific job with the splinter camouflage......you got a lot of nerves!

nice photography too with the black background.

thx for sharing 

Andy 

 

Thanx Alan :D

it is my 4th splinter  scheme  so I got a few under my belt.

the totally black background was achieved with editing in Adobe light room  :)

 

2 hours ago, Iceman11 said:

It`s so cool to see your models👍. Fantastic work on this kit, especially the camo scheme. Just one question: did the AJ/ AJS fly with AIM-9s on the outboard pylons? Heard that this was due to flutter problems - anyone? Think they used the belly pylons for AIM-9 for BFM training, due to this.

I did the SH-37 with a full CMK update, but I think I need to mottle the camo more. Also kind of surprised that the wheels from ResKit did not fit with the undercarridge legs of the Special Hobby kit. I needed to make the pins myself, which I find disappointing. Need to find the mojo to finish this kit!

 

Keep em coming Aigore!

Thanx Iceman11 :D

The AJ could only take Falcons on the outer stations and they were never used however with the AJS mod they could take Rb24 (aim-9B) and Rb24J (aim-9P/J) but not the AIm-9M due to it could only take winders with internal cooling bottles.

For the camo, don't pressade the uppersurface, with all the layers of color the pressade disapears or appear to heavy. After you've done the scheme go over it with a postshade of zinc chromate to get the worn look on the scheme, it works on all the colors even the blacks. The use pigmensor tamyia make up kit for the dirt in the panels.

 

2 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Simply stunning you've captured the Viggen in all it's multi coloured glory, outstanding Jan well done 

 

thanks for sharing 

 

regards

 

Eamonn

 

 

Thanx Eamonn :D

 

 

2 hours ago, speedy said:

That is absolutely brilliant and great photography. With those skills, did you manage to grad a 1/32 Jetmads kit?.

Thanx Speedy :D

 

 

yup I grabbed me one if those so prepare for a smashing build thread this spring :D

 

 

1 hour ago, swralph said:

What a stunner.😀

Thanx swralph :D

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Fab looking AJS – very 'right' looking!

 

But with that overkill number of photos, you should weed out the out of focus ones! The do nothing for your beautiful model, quite the contrary.

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Absolutely superb work. One of the best I've seen this year.

Thanx Stephen :D

 

25 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Fab looking AJS – very 'right' looking!

 

But with that overkill number of photos, you should weed out the out of focus ones! The do nothing for your beautiful model, quite the contrary.

 

Kind regards,

 

Joachim

Thanx Joachim :D

 

yeah I know a few out of focus slipped through unfortunately but it is easy to scroll past them :) overkill number of photos is kind of my trademark :P

my thinking is that I rotate 3 turns around the model from above angle to level to capture all fabulous angles of a jet and then add detail pictures of areas of interest:D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...