Curtiss P-40 in early USAAC livery

Whirly

Hello,

I'm currently finishing the Airfix 1/72 P-40B in this very early natural metal livery:

http://warbirdsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/Xp_40.jpg

Not finding anymore images I'm wondering about the correct markings: I see one small 'MD11' above the underwing 'ARMY' and I guess this should be under both wings, right?

Going with the markings I saw on P-36s I think there should be also a bigger 'MD11' above the left wing.

Any suggestion is welcome, thank you!

Hi Whirly,

That's the XP-40 in its final configuration.  The first three production P-40s were delivered in aluminum finish, but all subsequent P-40s, P-40Bs, and P-40Cs were delivered in camouflage.

As to the markings, that's the #11 aircraft assigned to the Materiel Division at Wright Field.  (There might be a blue/yellow WRIGHT arrowhead marking on the aft fuselage.  If so it's blocked from view by the wing - but it was there earlier in the year when the aircraft carried a simple "10" on the vertical tail.)

The designator appears above and below the left wing only.

Enjoy the build - early aluminum P-40s always looked so futuristic!  Gotta love 'em...

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Dana,

thanks for all those details: I was mislead thinking of an early production P-40 because Detail & Scale 61 gives that identification. Now I understand why it has a one-off bulged tail wheel fairing!

I'll see what I can do for the arrowhead marking, It would give additional character to colour scheme I really love.

Just one more question, if I may: what would be the radio aerial installed? Two wires from fin to wingtip as in the P-36?

Cheers

Fabio