Bluetac or other?

Andy123

About to order some bluetac that I can use for masking and also holding small parts whilst painting and am sure I read somewhere that some brands are better than others due to oil and residues being left behind.  Is there much truth behind this?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

White tack is the stuff but don't leave it on for longer than needed. Definitely don't do what I did put it on, put it safe in a cupboard then leave it for a month because I forgot.

I used many different types, usually what ever I can get, where ever I am. I have not used white but various brands - blue and green. Usually as camo masking and as a welcome third hand. It is always close on the bench. The one thing "bluetac" products like sticking to more than anything else is itself. I always make a ball of it an go over any area where it was applied and ensure any residue, if at all present, is cleared away. A discipline I have got into meaning no issues with finishes and still get the benefit from the product. 

Ray

I started using UHU white tack after reading about it on here.  No residue and it seems softer and easier to work with.  It can leave a slightly different shade (not every time) where it was, but that goes away with a clear coat.

• 1 year later...

I don't know whether it's available outside Australia, but Anko Reusable Tack (from Kmart) is ideal for doing camo.

It has a similar texture to White Tac and is similarly easy to roll into strings and curve, but it's smoother and less sticky.

It has just about enough adhesion to stick to your model with light pressure, but it lifts straight off when you're finished - no time wasted cleaning it up, no need to dab it off bit by bit as is necessary with White Tac.

Won't remove paint or leave marks, either. Highly recommended.