1/48 Roden Mk.I Gladiator, 33 Sqn Palestine 1939

I'm calling this one done. A relatively short build for me! And mostly OOB. My usual deliberations on which scheme to go for, from the five RAF markings on offer with this kit. I liked them all, so another build may be on the cards. I picked up an old copy of Roald Dahl's Going Solo in a charity shop for 10p, and have only just finished it. Had I picked it up before I started the build I would have chosen the 80(F) Sqn markings shown on the box art, the squadron Dahl joined in Greece after recovering from crashing his Gladiator en-route to joining them when they were stationed in Egypt.

In the end I went with my default preferences for prewar RAF, and chose 33 Sqn based out in Palestine in early 1939.

There are a lot of things I could do better on this kit, which isn't without it's faults either, but it was still fun to build. And I received some excellent advice and tips on the build thread. This is my first attempt at rigging a biplane. It is a little rough around the edges and a few short cuts were made. Hopefully they aren't as obvious to you as they are to me!

50656321933_bb26911bee_z.jpg

1/48 Roden Gloster Gladiator Mk.I by Mike, on Flickr

50656322273_5dc68f4d82_z.jpg

50657055426_de9ca00ef4_z.jpg

50657149627_458f757848_z.jpg

50657149962_9dee02e6cf_z.jpg

50657150397_6b2911a53f_z.jpg

50657150692_d3efdfdc88_z.jpg

50656324553_c17ab60746_z.jpg

50657058251_f647b1e9dc_z.jpg

50657152732_985e31a722_z.jpg

50656326743_3350a6fa1d_z.jpg

50656325223_11885ece5b_z.jpg

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done, and good rigging for first attempt - I like it.

What did you use for rigging material and how well did the kit go together?

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Very nicely done, and good rigging for first attempt - I like it.

What did you use for rigging material and how well did the kit go together?

Regards

Dave

21 minutes ago, John Masters said:

First rate build all the way.  Excellent rigging too, btw.  What did you use?

I've always wanted to build Dahl's aircraft too.  If only to temp the gremlins.

Well, the rigging was found on ebay, and is sold as beading or thread for making bracelets and jewellery, but I think it might be the same stuff as fishing line thread? Anyway, it does what it says on the tin, and is 'strong and stretchy'. The smallest size I could get was 0.4mm, which I knew would probably be a tad oversize. I think it is too chunky, but not enough to spoil the effect. Also, it is round, not flat, like the RAF rigging bars, so looks more convincing from the side than from the front!

50630980186_df90779fce_z.jpg

Rigging the Gladiator by Mike, on Flickr

I had already drilled holes with a .3mm drill. I should really have made them bigger, so the thread fitted in them better and had more to glue on to.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Vulcanicity said:

Terrific Glad and not one of the normal schemes. Love your weathering too - the cowling ring is particularly nice :)

Just a Flory wash, which I wasn't as happy with on the silver for some reason. I think I should experiment with oil washes more! I'm still learning on the cowling front. I had two goes with the Blenheim, but they turned out better I think 🧐

Thanks, and I'll be checking out your excellent Stranraer thread (again) as I have the old Matchbox kit in the stash ...

50646316951_01003bc182_z.jpg

A selection of aircraft that float and fly by Mike, on Flickr

33 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

it is round, not flat, like the RAF rigging bars, so looks more convincing from the side than from the front!

At 1/48th, or smaller...hmmm...if it passes the 75cm test, it's alright.  Someone probably makes a PE set of RAF flying wires for that aircraft but I find it is sometimes more of a bother than it's worth.  In other words, it's for other modellers, not myself!

That Eduard Sopwith Baby in the stash is a nice old kit, back before Eduard had really polished their chops, but still very fine.  I built the 1/72nd scale for one the GB here a while back.  

• Quiet Mike changed the title to 1/48 Roden Mk.I Gladiator, 33 Sqn Palestine 1939

Thank you all for the lovely comments 😊

And I think I've decided ... I'm going to build the Micro-Mir S.5 next ... I'm hoping I'm not the first, and that someone has already posted a build thread somewhere!  I'm guessing for a limited run kit it is not going to be straightforward and I'd like to know what to be wary of before jumping in. If not, well I guess you'll be learning from my mistakes then ...

• 3 weeks later...