Stug IIID - Bronco - 1/35

On 12/6/2020 at 12:30 PM, Roberto said:

Beautiful work!

On 12/8/2020 at 4:27 PM, PlaStix said:

That really is a fantastic looking Stug III. Beautifully built and weathered! Very :goodjob:

KInd regards,

Stix

On 12/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, Buzby061 said:

Excellent work. You can't have too many jerrycans!

Pete

On 12/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, RMCS said:

Fantastic 

On 12/9/2020 at 4:09 PM, Tojo72 said:

Thats a great job on a great kit,beautiful work.

Thank you all for your kind words.

Cheers,

Nenad

On 12/9/2020 at 9:48 PM, Deadeye18 said:

You've done a great job on this stug! The restored stug is sadly now in America with a company that offers tank driving lessons. 

Thank you very much.

Really?!? Didn't know that. Pity :(

How does it make sense anyway to buy super expensive rare WW2 subject to use it for offering tank driving lessons?

Cheers,

Nenad

On 12/14/2020 at 10:55 PM, DAG058 said:

Excellent work and nice photography.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:08 AM, gmoss said:

Wow - that's really awesome mate.  Superb weathering.

On 12/15/2020 at 3:42 PM, Ernst said:

Stunning model backed up by solid research. Great work 👍.

Cheers,

Ernst.

Thank you guys! I appreciate your comments.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2020 at 5:51 PM, Nenad Ilijic said:

Here's my take on Sturmgeschutz Ausf D, one of three Stugs of Sonderverband 288 special purpose unit. Unit arrived in North Africa between November 1941 and May 1942. Three Stugs were part of No. 5 Company, that probably arrived to North Africa in December 1941 on Thessalia. The unit participated in Gazala battle, where one Stug was lost (captured after doing some scouting). Second Stug was lost during retreat after second battle of El Alamein after it ran out of fuel and third one was captured at Cape Bon in Tunis after being hit and abandoned.

Two of these vehicles (I think one captured after retreat from El Alamain and one captured at Cape Bon) were taken to UK for examination, where one was scrapped and the other used for target practice. The one used for target practice was recently restored to running condition. All three vehicles are very similar, so one I built could be any of them.

Came across this when looking for the original source of the South Africans examining the Stug.

Thessalia made this journey most likely in May 1942. I'm still looking for the exact date. I am certain it did not happen before March 1942. The transport of SV288 is well documented in the archives, and I have written about it twice:

https://rommelsriposte.com/2012/10/13/a-bit-of-detail-for-sonderverband-288/

https://rommelsriposte.com/2009/03/01/transport-of-sonderverband-288-to-africa/

The delivery of German AFVs can also be tracked quite well, but I have not managed to get beyond March yet:

https://rommelsriposte.com/2018/03/04/german-tank-deliveries-part-i-5-lei-div/

The issue in November/January 1942 was a substantial backlog of transports, coupled with a great urgency to get supplies and reinforcements across. In consequence, the elements of SV288 that crossed did so practically without vehicles or heavy equipment.

It's a fine-looking model. Congratulations on your skills.

All the best

Andreas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AndreasB said:

Came across this when looking for the original source of the South Africans examining the Stug.

Thessalia made this journey most likely in May 1942. I'm still looking for the exact date. I am certain it did not happen before March 1942. The transport of SV288 is well documented in the archives, and I have written about it twice:

https://rommelsriposte.com/2012/10/13/a-bit-of-detail-for-sonderverband-288/

https://rommelsriposte.com/2009/03/01/transport-of-sonderverband-288-to-africa/

The delivery of German AFVs can also be tracked quite well, but I have not managed to get beyond March yet:

https://rommelsriposte.com/2018/03/04/german-tank-deliveries-part-i-5-lei-div/

The issue in November/January 1942 was a substantial backlog of transports, coupled with a great urgency to get supplies and reinforcements across. In consequence, the elements of SV288 that crossed did so practically without vehicles or heavy equipment.

It's a fine-looking model. Congratulations on your skills.

All the best

Andreas

Thank you Andreas. Are you the author of Crusader Project? This is an amazing website I am constantly using it when I need some info for my builds and it is one of the best sources for NA theater.

On 2/8/2022 at 10:02 PM, Nenad Ilijic said:

Thank you Andreas. Are you the author of Crusader Project? This is an amazing website I am constantly using it when I need some info for my builds and it is one of the best sources for NA theater.

Yes that's me. Thanks a lot for the compliment, it is very much appreciated.

All the best

Andreas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 10:02 PM, Nenad Ilijic said:

So I had a gander and so did Lorenzo Colombo and we believe that the picture of Thessalia loading the Stug is either in Greece (loading) or Italy (unloading), as there is no record of Thessalia making a journey to North Africa in this time frame.

Important to note that the record isn't quite complete for the Aegean traffic, but I have confidence for the North Africa traffic.

All the best

Andreas

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2022 at 1:03 PM, AndreasB said:

So I had a gander and so did Lorenzo Colombo and we believe that the picture of Thessalia loading the Stug is either in Greece (loading) or Italy (unloading), as there is no record of Thessalia making a journey to North Africa in this time frame.

Important to note that the record isn't quite complete for the Aegean traffic, but I have confidence for the North Africa traffic.

All the best

Andreas

Hmm that's interesting. So what does that mean? That the Stug pictured might not be the one that reached Africa? Or at least does not reach it on Thessalia in May?

On 12/9/2020 at 8:48 PM, Deadeye18 said:

You've done a great job on this stug! The restored stug is sadly now in America with a company that offers tank driving lessons. 

I saw the real thing and spoke to the previous owner and restorer the last time it was at Tankfest.  I understand that he sold it because he was fed up being trolled over "inaccurate" restoration, especially his (entirely necessary) use of a non-original engine.

I recently bought one of these kits so I was very interested to see what you have done with yours.  The last photo above clearly has the strapping for something circular above the air intakes which tends to suggest that at least the vehicle pictured had filters fitted by the end of the conflict.  Maybe that one was unique.  Maybe the exposed location suggets a local installation in-theatre in response to conditions.

In that picture the balkenkreuz seems to have the centre fiiled-in with a different colour.  Red, perhaps?

Edited by Das Abteilung