Stug IIID - Bronco - 1/35

Hi guys,

Here's my take on Sturmgeschutz Ausf D, one of three Stugs of Sonderverband 288 special purpose unit. Unit arrived in North Africa between November 1941 and May 1942. Three Stugs were part of No. 5 Company, that most likely arrived to North Africa in May 1942 on Thessalia. The unit participated in Gazala battle, where one Stug was lost (captured after doing some scouting). Second Stug was lost during retreat after second battle of El Alamein after it ran out of fuel and third one was captured at Cape Bon in Tunis after being hit and abandoned.

Two of these vehicles (I think one captured after retreat from El Alamain and one captured at Cape Bon) were taken to UK for examination, where one was scrapped and the other used for target practice. The one used for target practice was recently restored to running condition. All three vehicles are very similar, so one I built could be any of them.

Bronco kit No. CB35117 is quite nice and there are just a few accuracy and construction issues worth mentioning:

1. There are 4 single link track holders on the right fender and 2 on the left fender that do not exist in the kit. I scrap build them, although I built only right fender ones (I found the photo of the left fender too late).
  2. The pipes taking air from tropical air filters to engine deck are missing, scrap built as well.
  3. Lights protection on the left fender is incorrect, so I had to modify it.
  4. Return rollers are to tight and track horns do not fit. I added 0.5mm styrene sheet between two parts to make them a bit wider.
  5. Tracks are very well molded but there are fit issues with drive sprocket. It simple does not fit well. I am not sure is it a problem with drive sprocket or tracks though.

There's also a question about tropical air filters and were they mounted to these Stugs at all. While these filters were cylindrical, some images show boxes where these filters should be mounted. However, some images clearly show the cylindrical filter support with straps used to attach them. The most probable explanation is that at some point filters were replaced by additional stowage boxes. However, were they replaced on all vehicles, before sending to NA or after, it remains unknown. The build you can see here is my guess on how they looked like.

Vehicle is painted RAL 8000 (Gunze H402) over RAL 7021 (MRP) and weathered with AK and MIG pigments and nature effects.

I added few Value Gear stowage bits.

Thanks for looking and thanks for any feedback!

And few shots on black background:

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 59
  • Thanks 6

Very nice! Great weathering.

I have some doubts about the tropical filter. If I understood right no StuG III had this filter in Africa. 

lqS1qAk.jpg

Anyway I prefer pics on white background! Ciao

Filippo

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2020 at 7:02 PM, Natter said:

What's not to like? Super Stug.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:51 PM, diablo rsv said:

Another lovely build Nenad, and well photographed.

Wayne

On 11/28/2020 at 10:22 PM, Stef N. said:

Great looking model Nenad. Impressive work.👏

On 11/28/2020 at 10:54 PM, Carius said:

Great job Nenad.

Cheers from Brazil

On 11/28/2020 at 10:55 PM, vytautas said:

Wonderful job! 👏

I have an unfinished Bronco Stug, now I will know what to look at.

On 11/28/2020 at 11:32 PM, Saeran said:

Terrific work, love it!

On 11/29/2020 at 9:05 AM, Bullbasket said:

That's an excellent looking model. Well painted and weathered. Great work.

John.

On 11/29/2020 at 11:01 AM, swralph said:

Excellent modelling.😀

On 11/29/2020 at 11:29 AM, M3talpig said:

A really really lovely example of a Stug III with some outstanding detailing... awesome    :goodjob:

On 11/29/2020 at 11:38 AM, Homer said:

Congratulations on an excellent piece of work 👏 

On 11/29/2020 at 11:48 AM, Retired Bob said:

Good modelling, a nice dusty Stug with plenty of stowage and spare tracks. :like:

On 11/29/2020 at 6:33 PM, Harry Callahan said:

Amazing model, great work mate.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:20 PM, Longbow said:

Wonderful little Stug !!

On 11/29/2020 at 8:25 PM, badger said:

Nice!! I saw the restored one at War and Peace last year and it was the star of the show for me.

6 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That is one beautifully finished model, very well done...

Ed

Thank you all very much!

Cheers,

Nenad

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Very nice! Great weathering.

I have some doubts about the tropical filter. If I understood right no StuG III had this filter in Africa. 

lqS1qAk.jpg

Anyway I prefer pics on white background! Ciao

Filippo

Thank you Filippo!

I have some doubts about tropical filters as well. There are many theories about them and my opinion is that they were probably replaced by stowage boxes before tanks were sent to Africa or there were no filters installed at all. However, this is just a guess, it may be possible that they were replaced on some tanks because they were not working properly and left on the other tanks. There are photos of supports with straps that suggest that something cylindrical was attached at some point, like this one:

StuG_III_Ausf_C-D

I think this tank is the one captured at Cape Bon, although I am not sure.

Also, filters being installed like this seems very unconventional. They are very exposed. Although having stowage boxes installed this way is even more unusual, but they were mounted like this for sure :)

So who knows, unless some picture appear with the filters attached, we will just guess I think.

Best,

Nenad

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 11:22 AM, Phil1960 said:

Hi Nenad, you're right. With German Afv's never say never! Anyway, great Stug 😉

Please add on some Alpine Miniatures!

Ciao

Filippo

Hi Filippo,

I am really bad at painting miniatures. Whenever I tried, I ended up with a non-realistic toy-like abomination :)

Although I must say I tried only a few times.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Thanks 1