Spitfire IX UF-Q

11bravo

Oh dear, if I'd seen this quicker I could have saved you a few quid. The decals for MJ250 come with the Revell kit so you could have had mine as they are spare! :(

Well, if anyone else needs them, please let me know 

Cheers,

WV908

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm getting closer to starting my build.   Two questions if anyone can help:

Regarding the overall finish, at first I was leaning towards NMF but in thinking about it, if they stripped the paint off of all the metal surfaces, wouldn't the fabric covered rudder, elevators, etc then be either in the original camo or stripped down to primer?   I doubt they would have bothered to repaint those control surfaces silver, so now I'm leaning towards MJ250 being overpainted in aluminum (or high speed silver I supposed).  

Also, I know this pure speculation but what do you folks think about the presence of servicing stencils on the stripped (or repainted) airframe?  I'm leaning towards none but would love your thoughts on this.

Thank you! 

PS - As a reminder, if anyone has that EMD / Grey Matter resin bomb carrier and wants to part with it, please PM! 

The bomb carrier is now available in a number of different 1/72 kits, including the Airfix Swordfish (not needed if you do a torpedo bomber) and the Revell Halifax has a bomb-bay full (or, strictly, 2/3 of a bomb bay as they should be three abreast not two).  I've a feeling it is in others too, but either I don't have them or have forgotten.  Possibly Airfix Wellington, Whitley, Blenheim?  Possibly in 1/48th too?

2 hours ago, 11bravo said:

aluminum (or high speed silver I supposed).  

There's no High Speed Silver at this point in history, just plain aluminium dope

what do you folks think about the presence of servicing stencils on the stripped (or repainted) airframe?  I'm leaning towards none but would love your thoughts on this.

If you can't see them on the photograph, don't put them on the model

• Like 1

wouldn't the fabric covered rudder, elevators, etc then be either in the original camo or stripped down to primer

I agree with the possibility that your train of thought is correct in general but just for the record it;s impossible to strip paint off fabric to leave primer. You can add layers but not take them away. They either painted over the rudder and elevators (which is a bit dodgy for balance reasons) or re-covered them altogether.

Every unit involved in fabric work had aluminium dope to hand: the sequence is red shrinking dope, then aluminium dope for UV protection, then if desired any additional colour coat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

I agree with the possibility that your train of thought is correct in general but just for the record it;s impossible to strip paint off fabric to leave primer. You can add layers but not take them away. They either painted over the rudder and elevators (which is a bit dodgy for balance reasons) or re-covered them altogether.

Every unit involved in fabric work had aluminium dope to hand: the sequence is red shrinking dope, then aluminium dope for UV protection, then if desired any additional colour coat.

Great info, thank you!  I can't see a combat unit taking the time to recover all the control surfaces just so they match a custom paint job, so I'm going to go with the assumption that they were overpainted in the same manner as the rest of the airframe.   I'll also plan on leaving the stencils off.   

I've been scouring the internet with no luck, anyone happen to know if there are other pictures of this aircraft out there?   A poster on another site mentioned this but I've not been successful so far. 

1 hour ago, 11bravo said:

can't see a combat unit taking the time to recover all the control surfaces just so they match a custom paint job,

Depends, they might well have needed recovering anyway. Remember every rudder and elevator was aluminium doped. Anyway, from your point of view it makes no difference

• Like 1