617 Sqn 70th Anniversary Special Tail GR4s question

bobsyouruncle

Hi Gents,

I just wondered if anyone out there might have the answer to this one at all please?

I've been searching the net to try and confirm that of the two 617 Sqn special tails for the 70th anniversary of the dams raid, only ZA492 has flown with anything

hung beneath the fuselage whilst in the special colour scheme (it has a Litening pod on the port fuselage pylon in some photos)?

I can only ever see ZA412 (whilst with the special tail) with nothing below the fuselage; (I've found shots of her whilst previously with XV Sqn, carrying CBLS on both fuselage pylons). 

I understand that '412 was a twin stick 'trainer' version, but wasn't she that when XV operated her also?

Thanks, Bob.

This is apparently ZA412 seen on finals with a Litening pod fitted.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/113339808@N08/40394057323/

Edit - further enquiry I’d say this is actually ZA492, going by the what can be seen of the crew names and replacement panels.

Hi Muzz, thanks for that and yes, I'd agree that that's ZA492 as well.

There are photos of ZA412 carrying ASRAAM and RAIDS pod on the inner pylon stations (that come off the external wing tank pylons) during the time between 2013 and 2015,

but as far as I can see, she carried nothing under the fuselage whilst having the special markings, unless an elusive photo turns up.

From a modelling point of view that keeps things simple I guess. 

Cheers Bob.

• Like 1