Dakota nose job

Yet another dakota from the work bench (with plenty of others to follow) but with a difference. The subject of this build is TS423/G-DAKS now N147DC and TV/movie star in her own right. This is what I'm aiming for:

Dakota TS423 mayfly

I would have liked to have done her earlier scheme like this:

Dakota TS423 mayfly

But unfortunately I have no colour references, does any one know or know someone who would? Back soon

• Like 3

Along time ago I met Dakota Dave at a local model show and told me a few tricks of how to build Dakotas quickly and that was to leave out the interior it also helped getting that fuselage seam fairly level. Well I went half way there with the italeri kit by just removing the cargo floor and using the bulkheads:

Mayfly

The cockpit was assembled as per usual painted up and glued in, sorry I forgot to take any photos of this stage. And surprisingly the fuselage went together very nicely. Then armed with my trusty razor saw I lopped the nose off:

Mayfly

I then went back and studied the photos and noted that he alterations to mayfly begin on the fuselage frame that is directly behind the cockpit so I marked out where the next surgical incisions need to be made:

Mayfly

When that was done I have been working out how to actually construct this nose section. By chance I purchased an Airfix Dakota that was just a box of spare parts and has donated various bits to different Dakota builds. So out of this I took a pair of cowling halves and removed the cooling flaps and hey presto the front of the  nose, I also salvaged the nose ring and radar of a frog/revell lightning just in case:

Mayfly

Mayfly

That's all for now 

• Like 8

Yes it was, She was later used in sonar bouy trials and even had a powered turret fitted which was radar controlled. In 1979 Mike Woodley of aces high rescued her from the Catterick fire dump and took her to Duxford where she received an original nose and registered G-DAKS and there a star was born which she has made many appearances on TV and film.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great project RAS. Their are a couple of very useful reference pictures in Arthur Pearcy Jnrs  book "The Dakota a history of the Douglas Dakota in RAF and RCAF service".  Published by Ian Allan 1972. I remember too the old Airfix modellers magazine covered the aircraft with a side profile drawing. I'll try and find my copy. The original Scheme was was very similar to the later one just that it was bare metal below the Transport Command style Blue cheat line.One thing to note is that the last Three cabin windows on the starboard side were blanked off.

I've tried to identify the crest carried on the fin in the latter years of MOD (PE) service without success but I am reasonably certain it is the West Freugh Station badge.

Regards,

G

• Like 4

Nice subject to model. But surely the earlier colours are blue cheat line/flash white top andlower surfaces silver dope/aluminium finish  which is what it strongly looks like rather than bare metal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jyguy said:

Great project RAS. Their are a couple of very useful reference pictures in Arthur Pearcy Jnrs  book "The Dakota a history of the Douglas Dakota in RAF and RCAF service".  Published by Ian Allan 1972. I remember too the old Airfix modellers magazine covered the aircraft with a side profile drawing. I'll try and find my copy. The original Scheme was was very similar to the later one just that it was bare metal below the Transport Command style Blue cheat line.One thing to note is that the last Three cabin windows on the starboard side were blanked off.

I've tried to identify the crest carried on the fin in the latter years of MOD (PE) service without success but I am reasonably certain it is the West Freugh Station badge.

The badge on the fin is the Electrical Quality Assurance Directorate - EQD badge

36 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Nice subject to model. But surely the earlier colours are blue cheat line/flash white top andlower surfaces silver dope/aluminium finish  which is what it strongly looks like rather than bare metal.

Definitely painted silver undersides and not bare-metal in the older scheme but otherwise as the colour photo.

Steve

• Like 1

I stand corrected.Thanks for improving my knowledge on the colours folks.I've been trying to pin down that crest for Years,nice to finally know.

Just a final reference drawing (Sourced from the net.):

spacer.png

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, jyguy said:

I stand corrected.Thanks for improving my knowledge on the colours folks.I've been trying to pin down that crest for Years,nice to finally know.

Just a final reference drawing (Sourced from the net.):

spacer.png

Just what I've been looking for, cheers 

A little bit more progress as the weather is a bit wet and cold also wifey is working from home and swearing at her NHS computer. So I ran and hid out in shedquarters turned the heater on and did a little bit more:

IMG_20201130_110947

IMG_20201130_110951

I decided to do it the old fashioned way using balsa:

IMG_20201130_125835

Then it will be out with the sandpaper and filler

• Like 7

A initial filler and sanding session then a coat of grey to bring out where further filling/sanding is required:

IMG_20201202_120143

So while that was drying I got on with the wings and tail feathers:

IMG_20201202_120130

So to avoid confusion the horizontal stabilisers were descreetly marked:

IMG_20201202_120329

This shows the age of the kit! Obviously before Italeri removed a few vowels, circa 1979:

IMG_20201202_120221

I also decided to add a few details from my dwindling box of Dakota spares:

IMG_20201202_120242

And said box of dwindling Airfix Dakota spares:

IMG_20201202_120352

Model on everyone 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, jyguy said:

Here is a useful picture showing Mayfly's RHS.Intresting to note the blanked off cabin windows.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1025299

Yes, it a very overlooked detail, but recently I noticed that pair of windows have been re installed 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Time for a little update, the airframe is now all together except the glazing and paint has been thrown at it mainly Tamiya flat aluminium XF16 which seems to like the cold when brushed on as it doesn't dry too quickly. I'll allow 24 hours before I start masking for the white fuselage top the black anti dazzle panel and the de-icer boots

IMG_20210111_114424

IMG_20210111_114430

IMG_20210111_114448

IMG_20210111_114414

IMG_20210111_114459

Model on 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update main paint scheme on and hand painted de-icer boots applied:

IMG_20210126_125037

Another coat on the de-icers will be required the tailplane de-icer will come from decal strip. As usual the weather dictates when and what can be painted. Model on. 

• Like 6

RAS

I do love to see a differing model that will be a one-off . . .

You are doing a great job on the conversion and there is nothing wrong with the old-fashion way, using balsa seems the best way to shape that nose  . . . 

Ian

• Like 2