Roden 1/72 Sopwith F.1 Camel

Latest off the bench is my first WWI fighter, the Roden 1/72 Sopwith F.1 Camel.

This aircraft is my first biplane, as well as my first attempt at full rigging.

I used 0.047 mm rubber thread for the rigging. The rigging is clearer in the photos than on the actual model - I think maybe next time I would try ~0.06 or 0.07 mm rigging for better visibility.

I originally drilled small holes to sit the glue/thread, but these just became drops of CA glue on the surface after repeated attempts, particularly for the rigging between wings. The rigging took me two long (4+ hr) sessions, and was a definite exercise in patience.

The kit also had a small windshield on plastic sheet to cut out and add, but I only remembered once the top wing was fitted and half the rigging was done - I'm too scared to try and add it now!

Building a biplane was definitely a whole different experience, particularly one on such a small scale. Fitting the top wing without a jig was a battle, and the aircraft has a bit of a lean, but I will definitely be adding a few more WWI biplanes to the stash.

I've already started on a 1/72 Lancaster just to give my eyes a bit of a rest.

Thanks for looking. CC welcome.

Edit: Better photos

y4mgBQinplu1Gbl7hHF1Rr861wd0GFWozFojCaBR

y4mDYVy4xKRfOQubNpsuT4fJ_QBLPAT5GFZMNJtg

y4mdeaMtyKD3Wq-8Uw9LLJfZlhUNjQsYih3O6nZI

y4mPP0oifDiR8J8e3tepbmZ7U-ngW58b0c416BoA

y4mRfW77tqsg7oYkRxSEVTXm1Wj2BxtL2ecTuIC7

y4mL9CmCLuLmMEBY23BYJnGj5rF2Kt0FkuHDHbK1

Edited by lewis25049
Better photos
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Andy Dyck said:

the pics are quite foggy....or my glasses 🤓?

41 minutes ago, europapete said:

My glasses must be foggy too, lol

Not your glasses, but rather my poor photography skills! Thanks for the kind comments regardless.

Edit: Fixed the photos - turns out one of my lamps was off! Thanks again

Edited by lewis25049
  • Like 1

Lol, your photo skills are just fine Lewis, that's a very small 'plane and difficult to shoot. We were just having a bit of fun.  Keep up the good work, and well done on your first rigging job, came out great. If you have any Q's on biplanes, just email. The variety of types and colours from WW1 are great, it's a very addictive side of the hobby. Regards, Pete in RI

The rigging looks excellent and the model is terrific all round.  I have a couple of Roden's Camels in the stash in different boxings but, after my battle with their Fokker D.VII kit (the kit won the battle but it was pyrrhic victory as it ended up in the bin) I've been studiously ignoring them.  Did this kit go together ok, not withstanding the usual top wing difficulties?

I have recently started rigging models using elastic thread, both for biplanes and radio aerials etc but I also have the problem of ending up with a superglue blob.  I find that in order to get a strong enough bond I have to use quite a bit of cyanoacrylate and still find it much easier to bond my fingers to the model than the rigging! It's not my favourite job but I can't build a biplane without rigging it now. 

To cleanly secure the elastic thread to the model, an easy way is to place a tiny drop of gel CA ( with the tip of a fine needle or similar) to the anchor point, and  dip the end of the thread into a pool of CA acelerator like Zap Kicker then using fine point tweezers touch the thread to the glue. Done. The downside is that your aim has to be right the first time!  Regards, Pete in RI

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, europapete said:

To cleanly secure the elastic thread to the model, an easy way is to place a tiny drop of gel CA ( with the tip of a fine needle or similar) to the anchor point, and  dip the end of the thread into a pool of CA acelerator like Zap Kicker then using fine point tweezers touch the thread to the glue. Done. The downside is that your aim has to be right the first time!  Regards, Pete in RI

I guess you predrill holes first at the correct angles? After rigging, trim and touch up paint?

11 minutes ago, europapete said:

Wow, now I feel silly. My method involved a dob of glue, holding the rigging line in the glue with tweezers while it dried and wishing I had an extra hand for the Zap Kicker that's currently sitting on my desk! I'll definitely give that method a shot next time.

5 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Where do you rubber threads? Never heard of that. I have invisible thread but it has the be painted and would look to big on a Camel. I like this one, wouldn’t mind trying one out.

I used a product called Manwa Rubber Rigging - this particular one was for 1/72 aircraft or 1/700 ships according to the packaging.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lewis25049 said:

Wow, now I feel silly. My method involved a dob of glue, holding the rigging line in the glue with tweezers while it dried and wishing I had an extra hand for the Zap Kicker that's currently sitting on my desk! I'll definitely give that method a shot next time.

I used a product called Manwa Rubber Rigging - this particular one was for 1/72 aircraft or 1/700 ships according to the packaging.

Good point, look what the ship builders use.

2 hours ago, lewis25049 said:

Building a biplane was definitely a whole different experience

It is indeed.  I love it.  

Nice looking Camel, especially from the Roden Family.  Having built their Camel a couple of times in the same scale I know how problematic it can be.  Yours is excellent.

Well done with the rigging.  Try building an RAF R.E.8 with double flying wires.  Your 4 hour rigging session will feel like a brief moment.  

Cracking little Camel...  The rigging is exceptional..   I'm just finishing off a 1:48 Smer Sopwith Camel, this is an ancient Re-box job - cheap and a little crude and inaccurate, as you first biplane since childhood and purchased some Mig rigging .03 for it, just summoning up the courage to have a go with it..

PS the rigging cost more than the kit.