H

Edited by radish1us
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

That's totally brilliant bit of scratch building and a great backstory, a museum-ready build without doubt.

Yeah, Oz was a bit of a backwater in those days. The "6 o-clock swill" had just been abolished in Victoria before we emigrated in mid-69 - I used to jest that it was for my benefit ! - and our milk was still delivered by horse & cart.

The photos and press cuttings brought back a few memories of horse & cart deliveries in those days.

Top modelling !

Rog

“And now for something completely different...”  Outstanding work- the model belongs in a museum.  I really enjoyed the history and backstory.  Thank you for sharing

Lou in California

What a charming and beautifully made piece of history, which together with the very detailed back story, makes your model all the more interesting. It deserves to be shown in a local history museum as I'm sure that there will be countless others who may never have heard of these carts and who would find it as interesting as I have. 

Thank you for sharing it with us. 

Edited by cngaero
  • Like 1

Just an astonishing model, absolutely beautiful and building it from just a few photographs, only one of which is in colour is remarkable, and a wonderful story behind it too.

When I was a very young child in the late 70's there were still 2 people using horse drawn carts in my home town, one a coal merchant, the other a rag and bone man who once gave me a balloon on a stick in exchange for some old pillow cases, so not just Queensland that was bit late to the motorised revolution.

Cheers - Rab.

Back in the sixties in Kent, when I was a lad, our rag-and-bone man still used a horse and cart (Like Steptoe and Son!). The principal thing I remember was the cry he used as he went up and down our road, and strange wailing sound!

Imagine my surprise when, a few years back, less than ten, to hear the same sound coming from the street. On the street, it was the rag-and-bone man (or his son, I expect) , only this time in a disreputable Transit drop-side plying his 'trade'.

Strange!

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R

That is brilliant!  One beautiful replica for sure! :clap::clap:

As someone who grew up in a regional town in Queensland, Australia (but not Toowoomba) I am familiar with the pie wagon.

However I'm not so old that I recall the horse-drawn version! 😬

Fantastic model.  I love it! 👍