Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update Wed 30th March 2022

Hiya

Well today my seamless intakes from Allycatmodels arrived and they are lovely for £14.00 I think they are worth every penny..

I marked out what needed removing and proceeded to cut, grind and sand away the excess plastic to get the resin plugs to fit

And the intakes fit really well (bravo Allycatmodels!)..

50718345637_c91e530ec2_b.jpg

50718345627_b4cea5b913_b.jpg

I'm happy with that, now I just need to do the other side! That my modelling buddies is for tomorrow.

Cheers 

Iain

• Like 9

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. More Chopin' Cuttin' and Grindin' (Allycat seamless intakes)

Great start Iain- the cockpit placement certainly looks better now.

Quite a mouth-watering stash of AM - with this lot and your undoubted skills, this'll look superb.

I'm already thinking of getting another of these kits, so that I can make good on the errors in my (current) build!

Watching with great interest.👍

Q:dunce:

• Like 1

Just now, Dr. Quack said:

Great start Iain- the cockpit placement certainly looks better now.

Quite a mouth-watering stash of AM - with this lot and your undoubted skills, this'll look superb.

I'm already thinking of getting another of these kits, so that I can make good on the errors in my (current) build!

Watching with great interest.👍

Q:dunce:

Hey Dr Q

'I'm already thinking of getting another of these kits, so that I can make good on the errors in my (current) build!' - that is exactly why I bought another one. The base kit really is excellent and with a little effort (and AM) it can be built into something quite magnificent (I've seen one completed with the AM I have and it looks ace)

Thanks for the kind words buddy and I look forward to seeing your end results.

Cheers

Iain

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martinBK said:

Quick Boost MK7 seats are for US jets (USAF, not USNavy), surely not RAF.

Hey Martin

I've done a little rooting around and on Ejectionsite.com they say that the RAF used the Martin Baker Mk 7 A1 in the Phantom F4M (FGR.2) and on the Martin Baker website the pictures of the MK 7 look very similar (if not the same) so I think that the QB seats will be close enough for government work 😆

Cheers

Iain

• Like 1

Before you fit the alley cat intakes give them a very good wash.  Mine resisted the usual dip in soapy water and a rinse and needed a long soak in cold soapy water to remove all of the oils.

Fabulous work so far!  Love it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, At Sea said:

Before you fit the alley cat intakes give them a very good wash.  Mine resisted the usual dip in soapy water and a rinse and needed a long soak in cold soapy water to remove all of the oils.

Fabulous work so far!  Love it!

Hiya

Thanks for the heads up on the intakes, I’ll make sure I give em a good old clean - did you experience any other problems fitting them coz so far they seem to fit like a dream?

cheers

Iain

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hiya

Thanks for the heads up on the intakes, I’ll make sure I give em a good old clean - did you experience any other problems fitting them coz so far they seem to fit like a dream?

cheers

Iain

Your prep looks pretty impressive TBF, test fit the wing, I had to relieve a bit of plastic on the wing section to fit,, where it meets the forward under fuselage section I think.

They certainly work well.

• Like 1

I'm pleased to see that the Alleycat intakes fit well as I have a pair destined for a Hasegawa FG1.

Good progress so far, you've made quite a few holes in it though.

John

PS I remember standing about 12ft in front of a Phantom at Yeovilton many years ago and you could easily see all the way down the intake trunking to the fan so it's worth the effort in this case.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:30 AM, At Sea said:

Your prep looks pretty impressive TBF, test fit the wing, I had to relieve a bit of plastic on the wing section to fit,, where it meets the forward under fuselage section I think.

They certainly work well.

Hiya

Again thanks for the heads up ref the wing, I’ll have a look at those over the next few days and maybe get everything dry fitted, just to make sure there are no nasty surprises.

On 12/8/2020 at 6:52 AM, Biggles87 said:

I'm pleased to see that the Alleycat intakes fit well as I have a pair destined for a Hasegawa FG1.

Good progress so far, you've made quite a few holes in it though.

John

PS I remember standing about 12ft in front of a Phantom at Yeovilton many years ago and you could easily see all the way down the intake trunking to the fan so it's worth the effort in this case.

Hi John

Yeah the Allycat intakes are really very good and although you do need to make some pretty hefty holes it’s actually pretty easy, I’ve just finished the other side and it took me all of 30 minutes to do and once installed properly will look great on the model.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:12 AM, JeffreyK said:

Looking really good!!

As far as I know, both Quickboost and Master Casters have the UK version of the Mk.7 seats in 1:48, featuring added straps and central release fitting.

J

Hey J 

thanks for the info buddy

Gents thanks for your kind words.

Iain

On 12/8/2020 at 6:01 AM, martinBK said:

Quick Boost M7 seats are for US jets (USAF, not USNavy), surely not RAF.

I was thinking about product 48004 and not 48913...sorry.

Hey Martin

no worries buddy, I’d rather someone point out a possible mistake rather than have me blindly bumbling along.
So please help keep me on the straight and narrow!

cheers

Iain

Hi Iain, great build and glad you weren't afraid of the resin cockpit. What doesn't bight, can't harm you!

Fortunately or not, I never got to work on the Phantom, I was a Gannet and Wessex grubber. One regret is, I never paid enough attention to the one in the museum at Yeovilton.

I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

• Like 1

Hey Colin

Thanks for the kind words mate, call me daft but to make matters worse I’m installing Aires electronic bays too (they take up even more space that I don’t have!) I’ll have an update later 👍😎

Iain

Hey everyone

Just a quick update, today I fitted the Aires electronics bays designed for the Academy F4 phantom kit, its a tight old fit but I managed to get em in (bit to well really as everything is a little loose at the moment)..

50714943438_3981362a58_b.jpg

The grey stuff around the panel is sprue goo, once its hardened fully I'll blend it in properly..

50715759012_daf985d2f8_b.jpg

50714943383_22fcc145e8_b.jpg

..Here you can see just how much of the resin tub I've removed to get the the electronic panels to fit, as I said earlier nothing is fitted (other than the electronic panels) so that blob in the middle of the picture is Blue Tac.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 6

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. More Chopin' Cuttin' and Grindin' and now hackin! Aires electronic panels!

Hey everyone

Another little update for you. I think that I have finally finished with the major kit alterations. The Aires electronic bays are permanently fitted as are the side consoles in the cockpit, the tub itself is just dry fitted as is the HUD / IP surround and navigator's console and seats. The Allycat seamless intakes are dry fitted as is the the radar bulkhead..

50718345637_c91e530ec2_b.jpg

50718345632_99c3573645_b.jpg

50718345627_b4cea5b913_b.jpg

50718345597_026ce4b469_b.jpg

50718265081_1dc2295bb3_b.jpg

50718265056_f3f9efac02_b.jpg

50717526748_384cdace4d_b.jpg

50718265036_0345022686_b.jpg

Later on today I'd like to get some paint on the electronics bay panels and the cockpit sidewalls and tub.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 13

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Major modifications completed.

Great work Iain

With all that resin upfront you may not need any nose weight😀

Ive got two of these Revell boxing’s and a Hasegawa FG1 in the stash. I’m thinking I’m going to have to try the Aires cockpit in one of them. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 1:03 PM, franky boy said:

Great work Iain

With all that resin upfront you may not need any nose weight😀

Ive got two of these Revell boxing’s and a Hasegawa FG1 in the stash. I’m thinking I’m going to have to try the Aires cockpit in one of them. 

Look forward to more progress. 

James

Hey James 

yeah she will certainly be a hefty old girl when she’s finished 😱 the Aires cockpit is a nice addition to what is already a very good base model, however built OOB it still looks real good. Check out @Dr. Quack His build shows just how good the base cockpit is.

cheers buddy

Iain 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/16/2020 at 4:57 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh wow, that looks awesome!

Hey Anthony

Thanks buddy I appreciate that, have to say mind that your 1/32 flavoured is looking rather splendid 😎👍

cheers

Iain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Check out @Dr. Quack His build shows just how good the base cockpit is.

How kind.

In fact, I must in all honesty point out that my build uses the Eduard printed photoetch set, and actually most of the OOB parts are hacked, mangled, sanded, ground down, thinned and cut to the point of near-disintegration.

(I'm rubbish at painting cockpits, and will cheat flagrantly at any available opportunity!)

:dunce:

P.S. Love this build - you're throwing everything at it. Going to be spectacular when finished! 👍

• Like 4

"How do you superdetail kits and still have a small fortune in the bank?"

"Start with a large fortune"  😁

This is a great build and you are whetting my appetite to build a British 'toom.  Back in the 1980s, I spent a fortune on this Hasagawa F-4K:

spacer.png

I think I spent £25 on it which equates to £80 today and a fortune to a twenty-something back then.

This year I bought the Revell equivalent.  It doen't have the 'goodies' in the Hasegawa original but other then missing the slotted stabilators, it's still a great model.

I shall watch this with interest and hope to emulate you in a couple of months time.

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by neilfergylee
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Morning everyone and a Happy New year!

Some progress has been made on my Phantom I've finished painting the cockpit tub and side walls, I still need to add some etch to the front instrument panel and the Navs instrument panel, the whole thing is dry fitted at the moment.

50796120008_b10b28dd5d_b.jpg

50796867936_bafb7567b1_b.jpg

50796117683_120c38aee8_b.jpg

50796984452_6c6066a168_b.jpg

50796984422_dc5b928066_b.jpg

50796983967_752c6283ea_b.jpg

50795990053_98a289b1b8_b.jpg

And just for comparison the Revell cockpit from my previous build

tub 2

tub 3

tub 4

Cheers 

Iain

• Like 9

On 12/17/2020 at 11:04 PM, neilfergylee said:

"How do you superdetail kits and still have a small fortune in the bank?"

"Start with a large fortune"  😁

This is a great build and you are whetting my appetite to build a British 'toom.  Back in the 1980s, I spent a fortune on this Hasagawa F-4K:

spacer.png

I think I spent £25 on it which equates to £80 today and a fortune to a twenty-something back then.

This year I bought the Revell equivalent.  It doen't have the 'goodies' in the Hasegawa original but other then missing the slotted stabilators, it's still a great model.

I shall watch this with interest and hope to emulate you in a couple of months time.

Cheers,

Neil

Hey Neil

I had the very same kit which I bought for about £40 back in '93, never finished it though as a 22 year old I didn't have the patience or skill set to finish it which was a real shame as its a corker.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 1

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update 04/01/21
1 hour ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Neil

I had the very same kit which I bought for about £40 back in '93, never finished it though as a 22 year old I didn't have the patience or skill set to finish it which was a real shame as its a corker.

Cheers buddy

Iain

Finally an update!  I was about to come over and bang your door down...😆

Wonderful work, that cockpit looks awesome!  Well worth the wait

Cheers for the Phantom Phix...I really need it LOL

Anthony

• Like 1