Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update Wed 30th March 2022

Happy New Year  old bean. Lovely to see an update on this. Cockpit is excellent.......your painting of the oob kit pit ain't too shabby either: I recall being highly impressed at the time. Thanks for showing the comparison.

Q

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Finally an update!  I was about to come over and bang your door down...😆

Wonderful work, that cockpit looks awesome!  Well worth the wait

Cheers for the Phantom Phix...I really need it LOL

Anthony

Hey Anthony

Happy New Year!!!

I thought you were getting a little lairy...😝 

Thank you for the very kind comments, the aires AM once in is lovely, all you need do is slap on some paint and washes and presto even the most cag handed of folks (me) can make a semi decent job of it.

4 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Happy New Year  old bean. Lovely to see an update on this. Cockpit is excellent.......your painting of the oob kit pit ain't too shabby either: I recall being highly impressed at the time. Thanks for showing the comparison.

Q

Hi Q and a very happy new year to you too, I hope its better than 2020 (can't be much worse TBF)

Thank you for the kind words mate as I said earlier slap on some paint and washes and using the aires AM you would be pretty hard pressed not to get a decent result and OOB its still looks pretty good.

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

That cockpit looks amazing!

Hey LR

Thank you buddy I really appreciate that 👍

All the best for 2021 everyone

Cheers

Iain

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CJP said:

That Aires cockpit looks great - lovely work on the Phantom

CJP

Hey CJP

Thank you buddy, yeah I really do like the way the cockpit is turning out, I have to say it looks better in the flesh (I am biased) 😆

take care

Iain 

Hi everyone

Just another small update. This week I have been working on the Martin Baker Mk.7A Ejector seats for my Phantom. As you know I have the Aires cockpit upgrade set for this build which includes a pair of rather nice seats (without harnesses), however I also had the Quick Boost seats that do include the harnesses so because I think the moulded in harnesses look better than the etch versions I opted for the Quick boost flavoured ones.
They were first given a primer coat of XF1 followed by the belts and buckles being picked out in various shades followed by several enamel washes of differing colours...

50822412281_89711d7898_b.jpg

50822508567_7f3e9b7bfc_b.jpg

50821663853_b30c722b76_b.jpg

50822508587_ffe89acfc6_b.jpg

I also made a start on the electronics bays..

50822412311_7fdd68cf63_b.jpg

All in all I quite happy with how this is going.

Cheers all and stay safe.

Iain

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update Sunday 10/01/21
8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Great cockpit Iain, I always think that moulded on harness is better than the PE variety if they’re painted properly and yours certainly are.

Happy New Year.

John

Hi John

I have to agree, etch to my mind will always look like etch even when painted and draped over the seat, it always looks too stiff. The QB resin seats are lovely and the amount of detail just right. As always thanks for your input.

8 hours ago, Harry Fraser-Urquhart said:

Incredible 

Thank you mate.

stay safe.

Iain

10 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Love that cockpit!  If I can get my 32nd one to look half as good as that I will be happy.  Those avionics bays are cracking too.  This will be a very special model when done, and great inspiration for me!

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony

Thanks buddy - From the amount of attention your giving the intakes on your conversion I've no doubt that you will produce something pretty special when the time comes? 

6 hours ago, Christer A said:

That cockpit is great! Is that a red-brown carpet for the GiB that I spy there?"

Hey Christer

"Is that a red-brown carpet for the GiB that I spy there?"

Well the Pilot and Nav need some nice deep shag-pile to dig their toes into on those long flights 😆

Actually I took my inspiration from these 2 pictures of the front and back office of the FGR.2 at the RAF museum Hendon..

50658166391_2128d3723e_z.jpg

50658166121_0838a87731_z.jpg

I thought the red/brown colour would add a splash of interest to an otherwise rather bland cockpit.

I had a bit of a surprise earlier my 50th Birthday is coming up soon and I had mentioned to my wife (quite innocently) that I spend a fortune on masking sets from Eduard and Montex and wouldn't it be nice

if I had a Cricut so I could produce my own? Well guess what a Cricut air 2 will be arriving in Cornwall tomorrow! I'm well chuffed I can tell you. Thank you Leanne xxx

cricut

Cheers everyone and stay safe.

Iain

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Great work on that cockpit Iain.👍

And a cricut coming too - nice!

Hey Matt

Thanks mate appreciate it. I know a Cricut I couldn't believe it when she told me all I need to do now is master it so's to make the most of it and the fun just doesn't stop there

Hermes (delivery folks) were just at the door and dropped this off...

50825812876_77236b79fc_b.jpg

..And yes I've ordered aftermarket for it!!

Iain

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Another small update for you. My bench time has been very limited to date, work just isn't getting any quieter (I drive petrol / fuel tankers for a national company) and the days are blinking long however I have managed a little. I've pretty much finished off the cockpit, glue the fuselage halves together  and add the seamless intakes...

50890802291_e9734016b7_b.jpg

50890802216_da3b66f7e5_b.jpg

50890918277_a2eeef8324_b.jpg

and a couple of dodgy pictures looking down into the intakes..

50890802266_f55f9bb8cf_b.jpg

50890918322_4135cde53e_b.jpg

I've also masked and painted up the canopy's and I'll tac them on before I start any sanding to keep any dust getting into the cockpit down to a minimum.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 12

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update Sunday 30/01/21
16 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Serious detail here - brought to glorious life by some lovely painting.

Outstanding. 👍

Q

Hi Q

Thank you mate I appreciate the kind words they help to keep things on track.

All the best 

Iain

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The cockpit details look fantastic,  seriously great work there. 

Chris 

Hey Chris

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate you kind words.

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Nothin’ dodgy about the views down the intakes. Looks like the real thing to me.

John

Hey John

Thank you mate, the allycat intakes really are rather good (far better than the stock ones anyway)

Iain

• Like 1

Hi! I’ve had a couple of FGR2s in the stash for a while and this has inspired me to finally make a start - the WIP photos are perfect!  The cockpit looks great and I can’t wait to see what comes next.  Keep up the great work!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Touchstone42 said:

Hi! I’ve had a couple of FGR2s in the stash for a while and this has inspired me to finally make a start - the WIP photos are perfect!  The cockpit looks great and I can’t wait to see what comes next.  Keep up the great work!

Hiya

I’m glad you’ve found the thread useful and I’m glad you’ve decided to crack on and make a start on yours. I look forward to seeing your progress.

all the best 

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I've managed a little time on my Phantom this afternoon. Last week I went around all the gaps between the Allycat intakes, fuselage seams, wind screen seam and holes left in the tail after I'd removed the pitot with sprue goo (melted sprue in you guessed it Tamiya extra thin glue) and I left it for a week to fully cure before I attacked it with sanding sticks and Mr Surfacer 500. The results are so far quite encouraging, I still need to carry out a little more tidying up of the seams, intake join and wind screen  but I think this should be easy once I unify the whole fuselage with Mr Surfacer 1200 and gently sand it back using varying grades of sanding sponge before finally polishing it out and re scribing any detail that will inevitably be lost or undefined, I also added the resin RWR on top of the fin which can also be faired in with Mr Surfacer.

50943629116_8526f15b0c_b.jpg

50943629131_be1babdd8b_b.jpg

50943729582_ce15e85c09_b.jpg

50943729577_42eb681456_b.jpg

50942928428_44a4322dd4_b.jpg

I've also cut away the fillet at the base of the tail as its over scale and easy to recreate using plastic card..

50943629196_596d89dc71_b.jpg

..What it should look like

tail fillet

I'll carry out this little mod before I spray the whole thing with Mr Surfacer 1200.

Its not much but its been pretty satisfying and I think the seems will be a thing of the past come this time next week. 

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 9