Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update Wed 30th March 2022

Hey everyone

Just a small update just to prove that I am still working on this and my Tornado project. I have been focusing a lot of time trying to get the Alleycat intakes nicely blended in and I think I'm there now.

File_000 (1)

File_002 (1)

File_003 (1)

File_004 (1)

File_005 (1)

File_001 (1)

My plan over the next few days is to re mask the cockpit area and access panels, re scribe the lost / vague detail and get some paint on it.

Cheers all and Happy Easter!

Iain

• Like 6

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update Friday 02.04.21
4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks very nice all together.  Very meticulous fitting, filling, sanding and polishing.

Great job 

Chris

Thank you buddy

2 hours ago, Touchstone42 said:

They are huge suckers - you’ve done well to blend them in so smoothly! Good luck for the rest of the scribing! What will you use? Needle? Scriber?

Hiya

ill use a combination of a razor saw blade, scriber and 3M fine line vinyl tape and probably a bit of swearing 😆

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Coming along nicely!

Thank you 

Iain

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hey everyone

Well I can't believe that it's been almost a year since I did any work on my Phantom where does the time go?

Ok so I thought I'd start off by giving her a light sanding in preparation for a touch of re scribing especially around the intake area's and I found that where the resin intakes join the plastic of the fuselage I have some cracking

and its the same for both sides....

51971653040_da3fc68990_b.jpg

51971162428_e7e923b579_b.jpg

ummmm strange, I have in my arsenal some black, rubber toughened CA glue (I saw Plasmo use it on Youtube so I thought I'd buy some)...

51971383104_4caaf9431c_b.jpg

So my thinking is use some of this as a gap filler whilst giving a nice strong bond once dried and sanded back? I've never used it before

so it could all go horribly wrong, has anyone else ever used this type of super glue?

Anyway nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that I'll let you know how i get on...

Iain 👍

• Like 1

• (ex)Sgtrafman changed the title to Revell 1/48 Phantom FGR.2. Small update Wed 30th March 2022

Hi Iain

Superb work on getting a tricky join done.  I'd definitely try a test piece, I am sure it is fine (I always use CA for my gap filling and great to scribe over)  just not sure about the 'rubber' and 'flexible' part.  my only concern is you might not get a tidy scribe line??  I dont know, but let us know how you get on, looks like an interesting product

Great to see an update on your Toom, lovley

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

That looks like an interesting product, I'll be interested to see if it works.

Stay safe.

John

🇺🇦

Hi John

Well it seems to work for Plasmo! Actually it seems to have worked for me too, its easy to apply and sands well too..

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Iain

Superb work on getting a tricky join done.  I'd definitely try a test piece, I am sure it is fine (I always use CA for my gap filling and great to scribe over)  just not sure about the 'rubber' and 'flexible' part.  my only concern is you might not get a tidy scribe line??  I dont know, but let us know how you get on, looks like an interesting product

Great to see an update on your Toom, lovley

Hey Anthony

Cheers buddy - hopefully I can make some real progress on my Phantom it been way too long since I did any work on her.

Cheers gents

Iain 👍

• Like 1

So here is where I'm at at the moment, the cracks have been filled, lightly sanded back and Mr Surfacer 1200 reapplied...

51972219675_90ae03b49b_b.jpg

51971725293_1a30b017ea_b.jpg

51971725283_e7f0a3a495_b.jpg

51970653447_018cff4ace_b.jpg

51971946164_8e56f2f95f_b.jpg

51972219645_bcacca4dca_b.jpg

Now to leave it for 24 hours to cure fully before I decide my next plan of action.

Cheers all

Iain 👍

• Like 3