MasterCasters - Iroquois ... do they still exist?

RichardCAF

Hello all. My name is Richard from Canada. I am building a 1-48 scale Avro Canuck from Hobbycraft (some call it Hobbyscrap but that is another discussion...). The British firm MasterCasters - Iroquois has several sets for the Canuck. Back in April 2020, right in the first wave of the COVID19 pandemic, I ordered the CF100 cockpit, wheels and wheel doors sets IQM48006, IQM48007 and IQM48010 directly from MasterCasters' website using PayPal. Money was taken on the next day. Since then, I received no package or no news (now 7 months). I wrote to them by email in July and August  ([email protected] and [email protected]) and directly on their website on October, again no response. I understand that mail was slow for a few months earlier this year but it works well now: a friend ordered from Hannants a few weeks ago and it got through to Montreal in 2 weeks...

So I am asking you fellow modelers: have they stopped operations? does anyone know Jay and can they put me in contact with him? I find very bizarre that they never answered my emails. If they are out of resin or out of stock, I can wait. I fully understand that they probably operate out of their basement, maybe be busy with the pandemic and the like, and I fully support such great artisan work, especially coming from Britain for our Canadian subjects. I previously used their nice Avro Arrow products on my plane a few years ago. I did not ask for a PayPal refund because I want the Canuck sets!!! They will save much work and I want to sponsor such talent. I just want to have some feedback on my order. Please if anyone can help explain or put me in contact with MasterCasters that would be so great! 

Thanks! Richard

Hannants took delivery of new Iroquois stock on 20th Nov 2020, so he is still in business.

Mr Laverty (who I believe is a Canadian living in the UK) has what might be described as an 'interesting' reputation. You can find various bits and pieces on the relevant forums with some Google searching. Leaving SAM under a cloud did not do his reputation much good. 

I am on his blacklist on Ebay because I ordered some Quickboost items through his online shop earlier this year. The items arrived late and I gave the according feedback (i.e. the item did not arrive by the quoted date). For everything else I gave him 5 stars. I got a message complaining that I did not write a proper positive review of the service I received, which apparently showed my lack of appreciation for the sweet (candy) that was included in the order. For this transgression I am no longer welcome to buy from him.

I fear you may not get your items and you are now beyond the usual 6 month Paypal window for raising an issue :(

I wish you the best of luck

Jon

• Like 5

I have a friend who ordered stuff from the website only to be told it was on back order, then to see the same listed on ebay by them..

I also fear you will not get your product. 

Thanks Julien & Jon for your replies (nice pix of the RF-8G recon Crusader by the way!)

Being Canadian where honesty is paramount  and where businessmen respect the law and deliver the goods being paid for, or refund, what is going on right now gets me very disappointed.

I still have some hope (diminishing with your replies...) that Mr.Laverty has been affected like everybody else by the pandemic and has not had time to reply to his emails.

But there is a limit to everything and it is time to get closure on this, respecting the law and customer rights.

I will write one last time to Mr.Laverty and hope that he is able to answer this time around.

Thanks to all

Richard

• Like 2

Bought an item from Jay on eBay around mid-October and the service was impressive to say the least , item was delivered twenty hours after purchase using Second Class Mail which obviously by sheer chance hit all the right places at all the right times but although it seems that yours was not an eBay transaction perhaps you could try the 'Contact Seller' facility on one of his eBay items to see if you can establish contact , he operates there as mastercasters-1

He hit me up for photos and dimensions of the bang seats in the Venom for an upgrade to the Matchbox kit.

Utter waste of my time and effort, promised much, delivered silence.

One of the biggest reasons why I'm getting very unhelpful.

• Like 2

Hello Richard. I'm afraid I've had similar problems. I ordered some decals (using Paypal) on mid Oct so chased up a couple of weeks later and was advised that my order had accidentally gone to trash but that my order would be immediately dispatched. Fair enough, these things happen and I then got confirmation of dispatch with a Royal Mail tracking number but when I plugged it into the system the number wasn't recognised. So, I chased up with another couple of emails but, regrettably, I've had no reply. Hopefully the vendor is ok but if I don't get the decals or a refund by Monday I'll be opening a dispute via Paypal. All a bit disappointing really. I hope you get your issue resolved.

Update: 8 Dec 20 - Refund provided by the vendor straight away after I raised a claim through Paypal. Apparently the decals were sent out twice but got lost in the post on both occasions. 

Edited by Nesdu
Update. Issue resolved.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:41 AM, Nesdu said:

Update: 8 Dec 20 - Refund provided by the vendor straight away after I raised a claim through Paypal. Apparently the decals were sent out twice but got lost in the post on both occasions. 

Twice? Lost on the moors? Most issues seem to be with shipping. If it were me I would just let Hannants distribute all my stuff and lose the headache. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nesdu for your message. I tried again connecting with MasterCasters two weeks ago this time using eBay and again, no response. I may now try Facebook as was suggested by Tony Edmundson.

One day I hope tp get my Canuck cockpit and wheels-wheels doors to start the build!  

Richard 

On 12/22/2020 at 6:28 PM, RichardCAF said:

Thanks Nesdu for your message. I tried again connecting with MasterCasters two weeks ago this time using eBay and again, no response. I may now try Facebook as was suggested by Tony Edmundson.

One day I hope tp get my Canuck cockpit and wheels-wheels doors to start the build!  

Richard 

Personally, I only buy his products from Hannants or his eBay account. Directly from his website where there isn’t any independent accountability doesn’t appear to work for so many people.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread.

I wanted some exhaust nozzles for a CF-105, so looked at their ebay site.

Yes they had the last set of a run of 23. £6.99 and free postage for 1/48 scale.  Hmmm, el cheapo!

Paid via paypal, got a tracking number next day.

Tracking number only shows progress after delivery

Give it two weeks (after all, there is a pay dispute with Royal Mail)

Messaged Mr Laverty asking for an update - he lives in the same county.  Zilch!

After another week, advise ebay, get a refund within 15 minutes. ebay say it is a non verifiable tracking number.

So Mr Laverty is still up to his old tricks.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered from Jay Laverty via E-Bay on a few occasion and - to date - have not had any problems. I am well aware of his apparent reputation, however. Maybe ordering his items from E-Bay is the safest bet? At least you have some way of recovering your money, if things go badly.  

C. 

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 02:46, Jon Bryon said:

Hannants took delivery of new Iroquois stock on 20th Nov 2020, so he is still in business.

Mr Laverty (who I believe is a Canadian living in the UK) has what might be described as an 'interesting' reputation. You can find various bits and pieces on the relevant forums with some Google searching. Leaving SAM under a cloud did not do his reputation much good. 

I am on his blacklist on Ebay because I ordered some Quickboost items through his online shop earlier this year. The items arrived late and I gave the according feedback (i.e. the item did not arrive by the quoted date). For everything else I gave him 5 stars. I got a message complaining that I did not write a proper positive review of the service I received, which apparently showed my lack of appreciation for the sweet (candy) that was included in the order. For this transgression I am no longer welcome to buy from him.

I fear you may not get your items and you are now beyond the usual 6 month Paypal window for raising an issue :(

I wish you the best of luck

Jon

Interesting approach to a review. Normally you tell them where they ballsed up, they apologise, then give a sweetener and improve.....not blacklist a potential returning customer. Silly buggers.  I have had problems with firms who sorted things and I stuck with them based on that.🙄

• Like 1

I ordered the Master Casters 1:32 Spitfire Mk.22/24 cockpit set for the old Matchbox kit and it came right away. This was about a year ago. The resin looks pretty good - it's too bad the rest of the Matchbox kit doesn't.

That said, I've had the Iroquois 1:72 CF-105 detail set on backorder from Hannants for at least two years. Haven't heard a peep.

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 months later...

As Mr Laverty has just been sentenced to a five year stretch for offences against children ( see link in separate  article about modelling magazines ) I suspect you may be waiting some time for your items.

14 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Just being cautious, but are we certain this is the same Mr. Laverty?  You could be laying yourself open to legal action.

I wondered myself  as the article is about Jason Laverty

this is the article linked in the other thread

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23418964.suffolk-lowestoft-man-jailed-five-years-child-sex-offences/?ref=fbm&fbclid=IwAR0he4ECoUao1_8I-Tb8mXGYiBiks-wEitX21xtJ3Oy1bQZsAkpR23wYEWQ

16610430.jpg?type=mds-article-962

and google turned  his farcebook page

https://www.facebook.com/jay.laverty/

314429023_10160813139079874_191612302639

Looks to be the same person. 

No dog in this, just adding some information. 

you've ordered anything , then don't  expect anything from Mastercasters for 5 years - The photos above are Him !!

I thought you guys need to read and see this as   Jason "Jay" Laverty gets 5 years for sexual crimes against children.

Suffolk: Lowestoft man jailed for

five years for child sex offences | East Anglian Daily Times
https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/23418964.suffolk-lowestoft-man-jailed-five-years-child-sex-offences/

HOUST9N.

16 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Just being cautious, but are we certain this is the same Mr. Laverty?  You could be laying yourself open to legal action.

its the same one..

• Julien locked this topic