Matilda T-10133 name

KRK4m

A photo taken near Tobruk during (or just after) the Operation Crusader https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C7602   shows the battle-damaged A12 Matilda II WD No. T-10132 T-10133.

Just behind (and slightly above) the serial there's some individual name of this tank, probably consisting of two words, with first half stencilled in black and the other in white. Does anybody know the name of the T-10132 T-10133? Or maybe somebody can decipher it from the mentioned photo?

The tank itself is very interesting, because (given the barely noticeable contrast between the colours in the Caunter scheme) it could be one of the very few (the other is T-10085 Grimsby) Matildas in the Light Sand/Silver Grey/Khaki Green variation of the pattern. Usually Light Sand was used only in conjunction with Dark Slate as the darkest shade, while most vehicles with Khaki Green left in lieu of the Slate (i.e. shipped from the UK to Egypt in plain G3 camo without G4 or Tarmac areas), had a much brighter Portland Stone as the hull basic colour.

Any ideas, gentlemen? 

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
WD serial corrected

It is perhaps  something like "Vatkali Lion (???)" 

50655985688_2700b4e9c2_b.jpg

But I am afraid, it sounds like a nonsense I think. Vatkali is the name of one of Buddha pupils, but why the  Australian tank will be supposed to have such name? Maybe its commander was from India?

A cannot read more from this photo

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

What does fresh eye mean ! Obviously 10133 (so I have to modify the topic) and of course the smaller serial in black.

Nevertheless, the question remains - what is the name (in white, behind the black serial) ??

According to the list of 4 RTR tanks it should be one of these: DADDY, DAFFY, DAMASCUS, DAPPER, DASHER, DEMON, DERBY, DERWENT, DEVIL, DURBAN

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
List of names added

• KRK4m changed the title to Matilda T-10133 name
4 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

Personally, I think it's the same census number in black (but in smaller characters). Also I believe that the census is T-10133 (not 10132).

John

Indeed, it is! That is power of suggestion - you cannot see number if you looking for word!

Regards

J-W

Yes, repeated census number. Overpainted and repainted, original worn through.  As for the name, all but 1 of those listed have A or E as the 2nd character.  The  2nd character in the image is not A or E, but looks like a more rounded letter.  So that suggests DURBAN

• Thanks 1