As promised in the build thread HERE

A few more pictures of the complete model are provided:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

And, a comparison with it's rader-dome-nosed brethren:

spacer.png

Except for the gnarly landing gear, this was a fun a fairly easy to build kit.  I recommend Planet Models kits wholeheartedly, but some, like this one, have a few challenges.

Thanks for looking,

Ed

• Like 30

That's fantastic, looks like it comes straight out of a 1950s science fiction film where they've used parts from about 6 different kits! Good to see it with the radar nose version next to it for comparison.

Steve

Very nice models. The late 40s and early 50s were a very interesting time in aviation as all sort of unique looking airplanes took to the skies.

Thanks for all the kind comments, folks!

I always like the 40's and 50's aircraft, because they were experimenting like crazy, and trying something new and radical every few months, at least.

Britjet, I am looking forward to seeing some of those crazy Brit experimentals  -- hurry up!

Ed

• Like 1

Nice pair!

It would be interesting to learn what was the idea behind increased chord of wing to the wingtip. Normally, the decreasing chord with span is reducing the induced vortex drag  (at least for sub-sonic speeds). Is it that for supersonic speeds the induced drag diminish for reversed geometry of trapezoidal wing? I've googled for it  and found that the idea was not about the drag but about the stall properties and first of all to assure proper flow of air in swept wing in high speed. Moreover, what I found a bit funny, more is said about it  in Polish version of Wiki text on XF91 then in English one...  

Regards

J-W

Actually, JW, the major reason for the wing design was to attempt to control the phenomenon known as "transonic pitch-up" , as opposed to lower speed pitch-up, a problem particularly difficult at low speeds with swept wings.  Of course, along with the variable incidence wing, the ticker tips also provided less parasitical drag at the wing/fuse join, as well as the inverse taper helping reduce wing-tip stall at slow speeds.  Couple that with the fact that the two (3) versions helped study radar nose installations as well as the v-tail configuration.  Originally designed as a supersonic interceptor, the XF-91 could reach speeds of up to 1126 MPH with the turbo and all rocket engines lit up at the same time.  After the rockets ran out of fuel, the plane could then land on just the jet engine.  All in all, a very valuable member of the flight research field!

Some discussion  HERE

Ed

• Like 1

Excellent work. Congrats.

The work you did on the model is really outstanding. Liked very much how you tackled the landing gear issue.

Now, you just need to do the XF-91 with the standard tail and since you are at building Republic rare birds, give a go to the XF-84H Thunderscreech...:think::whistle:...:laugh:.

Please, keep them coming.