Sil-Air 15D Oil behaviour

Jasonb13

Hi all...

I got a Sil-Air 15D compressor about 3 months ago. Have loved it so far, so much quieter and just better performing than the AS-186 I used to have. I've used it a decent amount, but definitely not heavily at all.

I've never had an Oil filled compressor before, but I filled it up to the fill line when I got it and that was that.

I noticed a couple of days ago that the oil level had dropped noticeably. I still had some oil left, so decided to top it up. When I took off the case, I could feel and see oil on the inside of the case, gathering between the joint between the upper and lower cases.

A little investigation shows me that whenever the auto-cut off kicks in and the excess pressure is released (and you get the only halfway-loud noise as it 'pffftttts'), that little blast of air has oil in it, and it sprays the inside of the case. It's not a lot, but it's noticeable if you look for it, and obviously over time this builds up and runs down the case into the join between the upper and lower cases, and slowly but surely the oil level drops.

I suppose I have two questions. Firstly, is this normal? And secondly, what can I do about it, if anything?

Thanks!

I think it's normal. I used to have a Sil-air 15 export and I placed it in a plastic tray because the oil used to collect and drip from the bottom onto the carpet. The plastic tray used to catch the oil and I used to clean it out about once a month. I didn't have to top the oil up very often as it only lost small amounts. I've just bought a Jun-Air compressor and this has a catch bottle for the excess oil. There is a pipe that the oil flows down and goes into the bottle, a nice addition and no mess. Not sure if something similar could be fitted onto your Sil-Air unit?

• Thanks 1

It's normal behaviour for oil compressors. Just remember to check the level every now and then and clean the air filters. Minute amounts of oil will travel along the air line and eventually make their way in the airbrush. I've had it happen a few times when the air filters were beyond contaminated.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, some searching does suggest it's normal, I guess I'm surprised by how much oil comes out each time it happens. It's not lot, but it adds up quickly! I've taped some kitchen roll to the inside of the case to at least collect it for now.

I had a 15A for a number of years before I went for the bigger D (fnerk), and it only ever spat a smattering of oil on the inside of the case.  I've just checked my D and it too has a splattering on the inside of the case that is just starting to run down into the bottom.  I'd say if your compressor is coughing out enough to use a noticeable quantity such as you've mentioned, there's something amiss.  It seems way too greedy.  I've never had to top up either one of my two, only ever replacing all the oil sort-of annually (aka when I remember).

Take some pics and keep a note of the levels, and talk to your seller now, rather than have it fail just outside warranty, because you just know it will :doh:

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Mike, it just seems more than I would have thought. I filled up the oil to the correct mark on the bubble 3 months ago when I got it, and the oil was at the very bottom of the bubble a week ago, which prompted me to add more oil, which then led to me discovering the oil along the side of the case.

I think I'll email them now to let them know of the issue, and then put a clean tissue on the side of the case and record it happening to see how much is sprayed.

I also found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eLAyNZIyZ0) which shows someone adding a tube & bottle to that air outlet, but he did that to reduce the noise of the air escaping, not to capture the oil.

Thanks for the advice...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

I also found this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eLAyNZIyZ0) which shows someone adding a tube & bottle to that air outlet, but he did that to reduce the noise of the air escaping, not to capture the oil.

Now that actually seems to have made the cut-off sound more percussive from my point of view, so I don't think I'll be bothering with that little mod.  Funny that he bought it to airbrush in the house at night, but what about the extraction noise?  My compressor is totally overwhelmed by the draw of the spray booth, and I seldom hear the PFFFFFT... priorities, I guess.  He wants it to be quiet, I want to have the fumes drawn away safely :shrug:

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Mike said:

I had a 15A for a number of years before I went for the bigger D (fnerk), and it only ever spat a smattering of oil on the inside of the case.  I've just checked my D and it too has a splattering on the inside of the case that is just starting to run down into the bottom.  I'd say if your compressor is coughing out enough to use a noticeable quantity such as you've mentioned, there's something amiss.  It seems way too greedy.  I've never had to top up either one of my two, only ever replacing all the oil sort-of annually (aka when I remember).

Take some pics and keep a note of the levels, and talk to your seller now, rather than have it fail just outside warranty, because you just know it will :doh:

14 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking Mike, it just seems more than I would have thought. I filled up the oil to the correct mark on the bubble 3 months ago when I got it, and the oil was at the very bottom of the bubble a week ago, which prompted me to add more oil, which then led to me discovering the oil along the side of the case.

I think I'll email them now to let them know of the issue, and then put a clean tissue on the side of the case and record it happening to see how much is sprayed.

Thanks for the advice...

I agree, had my 15A getting on for 5 years, I used to clean it every month but stopped as it just wasn't worth the effort for what I was cleaning.  Like Mike and Jas I was getting almost nothing out of the tank and just a slight coating on the casing.  I cleaned it last night after reading this post and it's not been cleaned for at least 2 years, oil had dropped like 0.5mm at most, the cover needed a wipe and the tank had about an egg cup of water/oil mix 90% water.  It's used on average 4 times a week for between 2 - 4 at a time, of late more.   If yours is using the amount of oil your suggesting something not right, are you sure it was on totally level surface when you filled it?   How much did you put in from the supplied oil bottle when new?  I had almost 50ml left in the bottle after filling to half the sight bubble, just wondering if it wasn't quite level when you filled it, or when checking it so it looks like it's low.   If you got it from Air Craft contact Martin he'll sort things for you if it's still under warranty.        

Like Mike I also agree about the mod to the air valve, I just left mine as it is.    

Edited by Kev The Modeller
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Kev The Modeller said:

are you sure it was on totally level surface when you filled it? 

That's actually totally relevant even after it's filled. :yes:  If it's tipped the exhaust valve might be getting flooded with oil, which it's then spitting out in greater quantities than normal.  Putting a compressor on a floor is usually "level enough", but if you live in an older house, or have accidentally got something wedged under one or more of the vibration isolating feet, you could be running it off level.  Also, check one or more of your feet hasn't disappeared.  That could ruin the level too. :hmmm:

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it.

As far as I know it was pretty level when I filled it, I had a little left in the bottle afterwards, but not a lot. The top up has emptied the bottle now. I've checked with a spirit level and it's definitely level at the moment, which means it has been any time I've used it.

I've recorded a video of it spraying oil onto some tissue. I don't know how to attach it here though, the site I used for photos only accepts photos, not videos. Any ideas?

I'm going to send the video to Air Craft as well of course.

Thanks..

Just now, Jasonb13 said:

I had a little left in the bottle afterwards, but not a lot.

I seem to recall the same :)

Just now, Jasonb13 said:

I used for photos only accepts photos, not videos. Any ideas?

Try YouTube.

1 minute ago, Jasonb13 said:

I'm going to send the video to Air Craft as well of course.

If there's anything wrong, Martin will sort it.  You can rely on that ;)

Thanks Mike. I've heard nothing but good things about AirCraft; their reputation, and your review of the Compressor, is what convinced me to get it! I'm just hoping it's something that can be easily fixed, rather than return/repair/replace etc., as shipping will be expensive and right now they've none in stock either!

Anyhow, You Tube was a good idea, here's the video, let me know what you think...

Sil-Air 15D Spraying Oil

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks Mike. I've heard nothing but good things about AirCraft; their reputation, and your review of the Compressor, is what convinced me to get it! I'm just hoping it's something that can be easily fixed, rather than return/repair/replace etc., as shipping will be expensive and right now they've none in stock either!

Anyhow, You Tube was a good idea, here's the video, let me know what you think...

Sil-Air 15D Spraying Oil

Jason,

That does appear to be excessive for a single exhaust.  I've just tested mine and there's only the slightest stain on a piece of kitchen roll, I mean like it's dry and just a hint of colour under a bright light, it's almost invisible.    

If your unit is within warranty, and it needs repair, Martin will sort the postage rest assured, they'll be no cost to you.  I had a light that failed, he arranged for pick up after he'd sent out a replacement all at no cost.  It's possible he'll just replace it and recover your unit if its faulty, if he's got one in stock,  I really can't speak highly enough of AirCraft, Martin is a superb supplier :yes:  

Edited by Kev The Modeller
  • Thanks 1

I does, but that doesn't mean your unit is faulty.  It could be a filling issue or that somehow an amount of oil has gotten into the lines and exhaust valve area, not sure how but possible.  When I drain my tank, last being last night I literally turn the whole unit on it's side as directed in the manual, which would mean the oil in the unit is sloshing about, I've still don't get anything like your discharge at exhaust.  

Contact Martin in the morning, send him the video and he take a judgement, I'm certain he'll either change it straight away (if he's got stock) and recover the faulty unit or order a replacement and he'll take it up with Sil- Air.  It's possible it might have to be repaired due to unit cost but any postage I would have thought will be covered.

Keep us posted Jason please.        

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

For easier comparision, here's the tissue on mine after one auto-cutoff 'exhaust'...

spacer.png

That equates to about 2 years of exhaust on mine.  Waaaaaaaay too much.  You just need to establish why now, and I'd say a chat with Martin on the blower would be your best bet of trouble-shooting that :yes:

• Thanks 1

Hope you get it sorted. There could be some logical explanation, not necessarily a fault with the compressor. When I looked at your video I can see that the Sil-air unit that I had was different because it wasn't auto shut off. It just ran all the time. Still it lasted nearly 30 years and was still working, just had a tiny hole in the tank so wouldn't build any pressure. If I hadn't picked up the used Jun-Air that I have now for such a good price I would have gone for another Sil-air 100%.

• Thanks 1

I don't think so, I still had some left in the bottle, and when I said the line I meant I filled it until it appeared about halfway up the oil level window, as there's a sticker with a line in it that shows it should be halfway up that window.

I do think that I have the same problem but never sorted out the problem..mine was a second hand only despite the problem it run’s already for six years  and I still didn’t have to top it up!!
I even had it completely empty and cleaned the lines and tank with brakecleaner replaced old lines ...filled it up again via the oil pipe and then ...still the same oil spill....

Nevertheless I wil be following this and see what the outcome is😁 as I have probably the same problem😒

good luck with it , Jan