RAF Sea King Falklands

I Dole

I am looking to model an RAF rescue Sea King in the Grey scheme from the Falklands.

Being Grey it has the problem of which one.

References quote it variously as Dark Sea Grey (Model Decals), Extra Dark Sea Grey (Model Alliance) or Dark Admiralty Grey (Scale Aircraft Modelling).

There are quite a few colour photos about and these show something lighter than Extra Dark Sea Grey.

One photo shows a ZA105 with a darker engine cowl, possibly borrowed from the Navy which would have been RAF Blue Grey.

Dark Sea Grey seems like a colour the RAF would have had plenty of at the time.

On the other hand, as it appears, they were painted on the way to the Falklands perhaps they had to make do with whatever they could scrounge.

My question then. Does anyone out there have contacts that would have the definitive answer?

Dark Sea Gray is the correct colour.  There was a small pool of aircraft rotated between the UK and the FI, all with that colour and additional modifications such as RWR which were not on the standard UK-aircraft.

Regards

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2020 at 8:00 PM, TimB said:

Dark Sea Gray is the correct colour.  There was a small pool of aircraft rotated between the UK and the FI, all with that colour and additional modifications such as RWR which were not on the standard UK-aircraft.

Regards

Tim

Six out of the 19 HAR3s made up the Falklands pool of airframes. By about 2005, they were all gradually painted yellow as they passed through depth maintenance. The matt grey paint usually looked pretty tatty (presumably harder to clean than the gloss yellow) so you will have a field day if you like weathering! 

2 hours ago, torqueofthedevil said:

Six out of the 19 HAR3s made up the Falklands pool of airframes. By about 2005, they were all gradually painted yellow as they passed through depth maintenance. The matt grey paint usually looked pretty tatty (presumably harder to clean than the gloss yellow) so you will have a field day if you like weathering! 

In 1988 they were in pretty good nick, and were kept in good husbandry.  I can't answer for what happened after my time...

Regards

Tim