Graf Spee 1:600 Airfix

Julien

Graf Spee

1:600 Airfix

spacer.png

Most of us are aware of the Graf Spee after watching the excellent 1956 film about the Battle of The River Plate. The Admiral Graf Spee was a Deutschland Class Class Cruiser. Due to her heavy armament the British nicknamed her a "Pocket Battleship". Laid down in 1932 and completed in 1936 she was nominally under the 10,000 tonnes allowed after WWI. The ship was armed with 6 x 11" guns in two triple turrets, 8 x 5.9" guns in single turrets, and 8 x 21" torpedo tubes. The main armour belt was 3.9" with the turrets having 5.5". Top speed was 28.5 knots provided by 8 diesel engines. The ship was named after Admiral Maximillian Von Spee who fought the WWI and was killed at the Battle of The Falkland Islands.  Following the outbreak of WWII She was ordered to commence raiding allied shipping in the South Atlantic. Captain Langsdorff would keep prisoner the crews of the merchant ships he would sink. Meanwhile the allied navies formed hunter groups to find the ship. In what would be later named the Battle of The River Plate British cruisers under the command of Commodore Harwood would find and engage the Graf Spee. Despite suffering heavy damage themselves the cruisers Ajax, Exeter, and Achilles we able to damage the Graf Spee and cause her to withdraw. The ship put into Montevideo in the neutral country of Montevideo. However the British were able to make the Germans believe reinforcements were waiting outside the River Pate and Captain Langsdorff order his ship scuttled to prevent the eventual loss of it and the death of his crew. A few days later Captain Langsdorff would take his own life, the last casualty of the battle. Salvage rights to the ship were bought by the Admiralty through a front company in the hope of learning technical information from the wreck, some of did prove valuable. The rest of the wreck was removed from 2004 by the Uruguayan Government as it had become a hazard to navigation. A rangefinder is on display, however the Eagle and Swastika from the stern was later stored following complaints from the German Government. A bit of sad end for a once famous ship.

The Kit 

Airfix's kit has been around since 1971, and has not seen that many re-releases over the years. The last time we saw it was back in 1996. The kit is a full water line model, as well as 2 full sprues of parts there is a main deck part (the hulls became detached on the review sample).

spacer.png

Construction is fairly standard for the ship. The main hulls go together with the help of two internal bulkheads to stiffen things up. The main deck and the quaterdeck go in to complete the main body of the ship. Two stands are provided to display everything on. At the rear of the hull the two shafts and single rudder go on. Moving topsides at the bow the flag staff goes on followed by the main anchors. The front turret with its three main guns follows. Next up we move to the main central deck house, this has some AA armaments fitted along with the ships boats and their cranes, and at the front the forward gun ranger/director. On top of this is fitted the main mast and the ships funnel. Four forward facing secondary turrets are fitted down the side of the main deck hose, with a further four being fitted facing aft next to the funnel. The seaplane catapult is fitted directly behind the funnel and then the rear deck house goes on, this has the rear director/ranger, and some AA guns along with a couple more ships boats. The last item to be fitted to the after main deck is the rear main turret and its guns. The win racks of torpedo tubes are then fitted to the quaterdeck along with the rear flag staff. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Conclusion

Whilst I would love to see Airfix release a brand new tool of this famous warship, it is nevertheless still nice to see this model back in their catalogue. The moulds have not seen that much action and are still good. This should make up to an interesting and good looking model. Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...

Gidday, I did this build OOB many years ago, maybe almost 20 years now. It was one of my early builds since re-taking up the hobby. I didn't record or document builds back then but other than the huge hawse pipes (for the anchors) I don't recall any problems with the build.

One thing I've just noticed reading your post is that although the kit is of Graf Spee I believe the box art is of Admiral Scheer. Those three square 'windows' below the searchlight - as per the Scheer. Graf Spee (and the kit) had four. An easy way to remember - four windows, four letters in "Spee". 

A minor issue I know, but I thought I'd mention it in case a modeler wished to convert the kit to the Scheer. The first ship of the class, the Deutschland (renamed Lutzow) was somewhat different.

Regards, Jeff

• Like 3