1/144 - Zeppelin LZ 13 Hansa by MikroMir - 3D renders - release in 2021

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Zeppelin LZ 13 Hansa by MikroMir - 3D renders - release in 2021

I'll buy one, just because I'm a Zeppelin fan, but Mike Esposito is right.  1/350 scale would be in keeping with a standard large ship model scale.  Especially since the p-type Zeppelins were the small ones.  Mark I Models has released a series of kits in 1/720, the p-type is about 8 inches long...the r-type late-war Zeppelin in that scale is over a foot long.

I worked in the LTA field for several years, and airships are truly large.  The small advertising blimps are the size of a modern airliner.

• Like 2

Note:  this is NOT LZ 13 Hansa. 

LZ 13 was a pre-war (ca. 1912) G class passenger airship.  This is probably LZ 45 (which had the tactical number L 13), which was a war-time (1915 - 1917) P class airship used for bombing and reconnaissance.  It is entirely, visibly different from LZ 13 - most notably, there's about a 15' difference in diameter, not to mention the hanging gondolas under the P class vs. the integrated keel gondola (basically, a 'fin' down the entire belly of the airship) on the G class.

My guess is they've used Thorsten Brand's card model to draft the CAD and may not have done much other research, hence the L13/LZ13 mix up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 3:02 AM, SeaVenom said:

Cool.  I wonder if it'll be an all plastic kit or whether the main body will be fibreglass though?

Vac-form shells (in sections) over a central keel would be the ideal medium for the main envelope

Edited by Work In Progress

10 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Vac-form shells (in sections) over a central keel would be the ideal medium for the main envelope

I'd prefer sections of styrene myself to either vacform or fibreglass.   Like what Moebius did with their massive 1/72 Skipjack submarine.

10 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

I'd prefer sections of styrene myself to either vacform or fibreglass.   Like what Moebius did with their massive 1/72 Skipjack submarine.

Would be more convenient, sure, but given the likely numbvers surely the tooling costs would banjax the whole project

I suppose I could scale mine down to 1/350 if there's that much interest.  For that matter, I can also scale it up to 1/72, if anyone has 8' to spare...

I should also point out, for anyone seriously considering one of these, you're definitely, *definitely* going to want a mini spray gun to paint it.  Doing it with a standard airbrush would suuuuuuck!

18 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Would be more convenient, sure, but given the likely numbvers surely the tooling costs would banjax the whole project

Let's hope not.   For a start I'd like the detail on the main body to be like the smaller Mark1 1/720 Zeppelins with all the girder work on there.   Makes it much easier to paint all the variations etc and just adds some nice scale detail.  Plus not forgetting that Hawk retooled their 1/245 Graf Zeppelin a few years back and replaced the old vacform body with a new injection plastic body.

11 hours ago, ICMF said:

I suppose I could scale mine down to 1/350 if there's that much interest.  For that matter, I can also scale it up to 1/72, if anyone has 8' to spare...

I should also point out, for anyone seriously considering one of these, you're definitely, *definitely* going to want a mini spray gun to paint it.  Doing it with a standard airbrush would suuuuuuck!

Halfords sprays will do it.   I used them for my 1/72 Skipjack sub.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I used them on my Revell 1/72 B-36. That's a LOT of area to cover.😊.

Actually, don't have an airbrush but, even I would balk at painting this airship by hand! 🙄

John

I've lost count of the models I've used them on.   I think for the most part they can't be beat for many bigger and smaller jobs.   I use they're matt lacquer too which is the best lacquer I've used so far.   

• Like 1

I use a lot of their stuff, the matt varnish is particularly excellent and recently rescued an all-black night-fighter Mosquito NF.II of mine that had gone all streaky and chalky varnished with 'normal' model acrylic matt varnish. I gave it a last-resort spray over with the Halfords and it went back to exactly as I wanted it to be, dead flat and completely un-streaky.

Some of the actual car colours can be used but you can get any colour for which there is a mainstream published reference made up for £11 which is a bargain. Between BS381c, RAL and all car manufacturers' paint codes there is very little you can't do. And if you have a sample of something you can generally match it using the densitometer that some branches have, or the massive behind-the-counter sample book

14 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Custom aerosol from the local car paint place is probably the way to go for most of us

Note that these are not a single, solid colour.  There's a lot of variance to the shade and tone of the airship, so you'll be doing a surprising amount of 'detail painting' (which, in and of itself will cover large swathes of plastic... also, an ungodly amount of masking tape).  Plus, it's a very large canvas; it looks really dull and flat and 'fake' when it's just one solid colour.  A rattlecan basecoat is fine (though you should plan on using a couple of full size cans), but it's a lot more work after that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh, absolutely. I think the fun of something like this is 90% grubbying it up. and especially figuring out what's vertical weathering from it being moored, and airflow-driven weathering from flight. I think that's probably where the airbrash does come back into play though - as would the actual sable brushes, with oils and pastels