Kader (Lincoln Int.) 1/144ish Vickers Valiant Prototype

JamesP

Well it's taken a long time to get this far. I sanded and resprayed gloss black another three times since my last post and it's still far from perfect but I'm not willing to put any more effort in. The annoying thing is that all the handling has further marred the rest of the surface as is the finish is not what it should've been. I'm happy with the silver density though as its has had at least three coats of Polished Aluminium. In the main I had not problems spraying over the enamel gloss black as long as I sprayed lightly - a couple of time concentration lapsed and I went to heavy and the surface crinked. Unfortunately I managed to do this all along the lower starboard fuselage and so that will not feature in any photos. :roll: There is a lot you can't see in the photo below.

Valiant-23.jpg

Need to decide if I put a clear coat on it before decaling or just wait till after.

• Like 4

Looking at the above piccy and then way back to what you started out with at the beginning I am amazed.  I would not have thought it possible to make anything out of the disaster that was in post 1 here.  Marvelously done !!

• Like 1

Decalling was fine, except that I still didn't have correct size roundels for the wings. These should be 72" which equates to 36" in 1/72 Xtradecal provide just two of these on their Type D sheet and I'd used all of them from the two sheets I own. Like with the Victor I've had to use some from and old Almark sheet of alleged 18" 24" and 36" roundel these are wildly inaccurate and the 24" are actual 34" and the 36" over 50"!

I had to give it a clear coat as even with careful handing during decalling the leading edges had rubbed off. Alclad's own gloss clear coat is meant to not affect the finish at all but I am frankly not going to risk having it not cure and leave me with a tacky model. So a light coat of Tamiya X-20 was used after touch ups, yes it's knock the shine back a bit. It did occur to me afterwards that if I clear coated before decals and then put on another coat of Polished Aluminium on, it if is rubbed through it would be only to the protected layer. Maybe next time, this kit as already swallowed half a bottle.

Final task was to make some exhaust cans from aluminum tube and some pitot tube both painted steel.

Valiant-24.jpg

Valiant-25.jpg

All done. It's sunny day so will try and get the glamour shots up later today.

• Like 1

This 

41 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

72"? V Bomber roundels on the wings should be 84", unless WB215 has different sizes? 

I doubt it but I measured what looked actually right on the model's wings. Unfortunately the only ones had (and I've got lots) are a tad too small still.

• Like 1

OK so my 68" compromise was way off - I can't unsee it now thanks! I realised I had the Fundekals sheet for the Vulcan which does have the correctly sized roundels. I also checked my GWH/Pitroad Victor and Vulcan kits, the Victor had incorrect 72" ones and the Vulcan only the later ones without the white. Yes Mark 1+ do a 1/144 roundel set with the correct ones too (I actually have the low viz ones!), which I'll get to backfill the Fundekal sheet.

After removing the wing decals with tape I took the opportunity to lightly overspray the clear coat with a Polished Aluminum just on the upper surfaces.

I then went than reshot all my photos!