Another MiG! 1/48 Bulgarian MiG-21bis ***FINISHED***

Ray_W

I walked out to the Sofia National Military Museum yesterday to measure the numbers on the front of their aircraft. Sadly closed in these COVID times. So I have had to resort to scaling photos. Not the ideal, but the best I can do for the moment. 

Scaling off this practically side on photo and by measuring through the centre of the number "3" on that vertical cowl panel line to the base of the windscreen, I was able to determine a ratio of fuselage height to number height of close to 2:1.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_13

Same measure, same location, on the plastic gave me 24 mm.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_14

Giving a scaled dimension of approximately 12 mm for the number height.

Comparing what I have in the decals:

Linden Hill - 10.6 mm

LHS Decals - 12.5 mm 

Model Maker - 13.1 mm

The LHS Decals have the least variance, possibly also compensated with the fuselage wrap around. and a better shape. They seem the best candidate.

One more test - are their decals any good? The borders are just red surrounds, so they need to be laid down over the white. Pleasingly, the alignment seems good. With a little care, and ensuring the white is in place and set, all should be good.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_15

What I did discover is that these need cold water. long soak time (2-3 minutes), and wait for evidence of separation from the backing sheet. Warm water and they shatter. Any force and they shatter. Too short a soak and they shatter.  Particularly that red surround. Besides that, they are easy to apply.  I also used Gunze's Mr Mark Setter to ensure some movement before lock. Afterwards I did another test, just out of interest and when dry (10 minutes), applying Mr Mark Softer with no issues. It will be a nervous application with 6 numbers to go on.  I should have plenty of spares (we hope!) with 3 times my requirements on the decal sheet. 

With plenty of numbers to choose from, I have decided to do Bulgaria's last MiG-21 "243" as it appeared in its weathered early 2000's state and not in its re-paint as it appears in the final flight video I posted early in the thread.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Col. said:

Sounds as if you've established a good protocol for handling those decals Ray so best of good luck getting them applied.

Should work, we will see. Also, busy working out colour equivalents and appropriate mixes from the Tamiya and Gunze range (readily available). Looks like a trip to the LHS will be needed today. 

Ray

• Like 1

It certainly looks like the LHS decals are the way to go Ray, and it sounds like you have worked out a good method for using them. 

The paint scheme on Bulgarian Fishbeds has always drawn me to them, especially when they are weathered. There are pictures of some ex Russian ones in Bulgarian service and still in their original Russian camouflage scheme which look interesting too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The paint scheme on Bulgarian Fishbeds has always drawn me to them, especially when they are weathered.

Same here, that photo of the nose of 243 I posted earlier today will be what I will be trying to achieve. I have a few colour images of this subject from different angles and I am looking forward to the challenge of replicating it. 

• Like 3

Well, this is excellent work, Just found this thread now, love the research and effort going in to it, you're putting my MiG to shame! :)

10 hours ago, Ray_W said:

What I did discover is that these need cold water. long soak time (2-3 minutes), and wait for evidence of separation from the backing sheet. Warm water and they shatter. Any force and they shatter. Too short a soak and they shatter.  Particularly that red surround........... 

Besides that, they are easy to apply.

Ha, that made me laugh out loud! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been beavering away with this kit and now at a stage where I can show some progress. A lot of bits and pieces to prepare. Not so much clean-up just the number of parts involved and some pre-painting and assembly.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_16

Eduard recommend a weight in the nose. I was not certain of what the balance will be like with it having a new resin nose and cockpit tub and resin jet pipe so decided to drill out the nose radome and add some lead shot. Sealing it in with an epoxy.  I may have to add more under the cockpit tub after assessing the balance.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_17

The interior of the wheel wells of my chosen subject seem to be reflective so I opted for the coated aluminium finish typical in some MiG photos. I sprayed the surfaces with an aluminium and then mixed a clear yellow and green mix as a transparent top coat.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_26

You could really go to town in detailing the undercarriage bays. I was happy enough with the moulded in side wall detail.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_24

The Brassin cockpit is a micro-kit in itself and I enjoyed it greatly. I used the popular Gunze mix of 1 part H46 Emerald Green to 1 part H25 Sky Blue and it came out a reasonable match for the Eduard PE. 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_21

You have 3 choices of instrument panel construction. I went with the PE option, my usual, it seemed a lot better than painting resin bezels. I also have the "Look" IP and decided not use it.  Mmm ... should of thinned that rubber hood.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_22

The rear bulkhead is beautifully detailed. A shame most will be covered. 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_23

In jet builds my eyes are usually drawn to the ejection seat and tailpipe and this is why I do not mind spending a little extra money on these items. 

The seat is lovely. I spent some time deciding if I would go with the early light colour or later black seat. Seems the Bulgarian MiG-21's went black during their last decade of service. I do not know if the seats were replaced or reconditioned and re-upholstered, but black it is with longitudinal back rest stitching. As the early seat had the diamond pattern back rest, and I had found pictures of the Bulgarian MiG's in the 90's with what appears to be the light coloured headrest, I went for the light option. 

By the way, the belts are the standard Eduard steel belts - I make sure I like their appearance and how they fall then flat coat before a Tamiya Brown panel liner on the belt itself. Carefully wicked away (not rubbed) with a Q-Tip for consistency.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_19

You always notice something when you post the photo, no leg restraints. I will have to add these. I had already planned to do the extra hosing off the side of the port seat side.

The rear of the seat is a gem, again not much to see when it is assembled.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_20

The Eduard jet pipe is beautifully detailed even though most will be unseen unless you stick your head up the jet pipe; and who doesn't do that during a 1:1 walkaround? 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_25

Most of the internal gear is now ready to start putting those fuselage halves together. More progress soon.

Wishing everyone the best for 2021. 🎉🎉🎉

Ray 

Edited by Ray_W
typo
  • Like 9

That is superb work Ray.

The cockpit looks real, very nicely painted and subtly weathered. As it's an Eduard designed component hopefully it should fit the kit very well. The seat will set the cockpit off very nicely.

I think you were right to add nose weight, always better to err on the side of caution where thats concerned.

Is the engine exhaust a Brassin part or from the kit? It looks really good.

Happy new year to you and everyone else.🍻

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I've been beavering away with this kit and now at a stage where I can show some progress. A lot of bits and pieces to prepare. Not so much clean-up just the number of parts involved and some pre-painting and assembly.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_16

Eduard recommend a weight in the nose. I was not certain of what the balance will be like with it having a new resin nose and cockpit tub and resin jet pipe so decided to drill out the nose radome and add some lead shot. Sealing it in with an epoxy.  I may have to add more under the cockpit tub after assessing the balance.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_17

The interior of the wheel wells of my chosen subject seem to be reflective so I opted for the coated aluminium finish typical in some MiG photos. I sprayed the surfaces with an aluminium and then mixed a clear yellow and green mix as a transparent top coat.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_26

You could really go to town in detailing the undercarriage bays. I was happy enough with the moulded in side wall detail.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_24

The Brassin cockpit is a micro-kit in itself and I enjoyed it greatly. I used the popular Gunze mix of 1 part H46 Emerald Green to 1 part H25 Sky Blue and it came out a reasonable match for the Eduard PE. 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_21

You have 3 choices of instrument panel construction. I went with the PE option, my usual, it seemed a lot better than painting resin bezels. I also have the "Look" IP and decided not use it.  Mmm ... should of thinned that rubber hood.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_22

The rear bulkhead is beautifully detailed. A shame most will be covered. 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_23

In jet builds my eyes are usually drawn to the ejection seat and tailpipe and this is why I do not mind spending a little extra money on these items. 

The seat is lovely. I spent some time deciding if I would go with the early light colour or later black seat. Seems the Bulgarian MiG-25's went black during their last decade of service. I do not know if the seats were replaced or reconditioned and re-upholstered, but black it is with longitudinal back rest stitching. As the early seat had the diamond pattern back rest, and I had found pictures of the Bulgarian MiG's in the 90's with what appears to be the light coloured headrest, I went for the light option. 

By the way, the belts are the standard Eduard steel belts - I make sure I like their appearance and how they fall then flat coat before a Tamiya Brown panel liner on the belt itself. Carefully wicked away (not rubbed) with a Q-Tip for consistency.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_19

You always notice something when you post the photo, no leg restraints. I will have to add these. I had already planned to do the extra hosing off the side of the port seat side.

The rear of the seat is a gem, again not much to see when it is assembled.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_20

The Eduard jet pipe is beautifully detailed even though most will be unseen unless you stick your head up the jet pipe; and who doesn't do that during a 1:1 walkaround? 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_25

Most of the internal gear is now ready to start putting those fuselage halves together. More progress soon.

Wishing everyone the best for 2021. 🎉🎉🎉

Ray 

Hi, Ray

If you don't mind, I'd like to correct your info about the seats. As much as I know and have seen, all of the last flying MiG-21s in Bulgaria (let's say from 2005 and then) had black seats KM-1M. These are the seats used for MiG-23 an 25 too, with the same dimond back pattern. As you can see from the link bellow, particularly the last photoes of 2011_04 directory, the seat is black. I think correcting it will not be that hard, if you still have not assebled the cockpit.

http://kativ.eu/ivohobby/Walkaround/Mig-21/2011_04/

There are many photos of the Bulgarian 21s taken by spotters, some of them from 2012 you can find here:

http://www.balakchiev.com/bg/images-go/100-years-vvs#&panel1-1 
If you look closer, you can find the transponder antennae next to the right nose landing gear door - a small touch ;)

I hope I have helped you at least a bit.

Cheers, 

Hristo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Hristo D. said:

I think correcting it will not be that hard, if you still have not assembled the cockpit.

Hi Hristo,

Thanks for the info. Excellent detail images.

You are correct, all the imagery for the late flying Bulgarian MiG-21's, that I have seen, appear to have the black seat. Question in my mind was when was the change over. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I was deciding which way to go and seeing it is to be a late 90's aircraft, opted for the light coloured version. Additionally, I saw a black version of the seat with longitudinal stitching (A Russian aircraft here: https://soldat.pro/en/2018/07/10/mig-21/ file has big images). If I had seen your excellent images before hand, then that would of swayed me back to black.   Oh well :shrug: you live and learn. Coincidently, I found some images today of Bulgarian MiG-21bis SAU's dated 1998 with black seats. Never mind, I will stick with the light colour as finished - let's say typical KM-1M.   I am happy with how the seat turned out and it does look the part. Lessons learned - take note all you would be Bulgarian MiG-21bis SAU builders.

You're the local. Keep the correction/clarifications coming.

UPDATE: I have the plastic kit supplied ejection seat and this will be a good basis for making a black seat. Good raw material for a bespoke detailed seat. A nice little project coming up! I'll keep the resin one for that shiny earlier version MiG I hope to make one day. Next posts - a new seat - back in black. I'll play AC/DC while I do it.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Update added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Amazing work Ray, It’s all awesome and a super build thread to read through also.

Thanks Paul.

Your Tomcat is superb. I was very interested in your template weathering as I am already planning the weathering on this one. It will be quite beat up. A possible candidate for salt although this reverses the effect I want where the slightly lighter colour is usually over laid over the salt crystals instead the other way around. Could still work.  As it is a tri-colour scheme, I may still be content in the black basing effects and post micro mottle with the airbrush with a little chipping solution in some areas. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

Thanks ray!
on the tomcat i used parts of this template to spray through -

http://airbrush-shop.dk/artool-stencils/1333-richard-markham-fire-stencils-262843.html

I also made an Eduard Mig-21 in 2019 where I used salt on it, that was less comtrollable but fun none-the-less and perhaps more organic

48987604166_15eb178a52_k.jpg

build thread here if you are interested but its no where near your standard Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dansk said:

on the tomcat i used parts of this template to spray through

Thanks for the link Paul. I have seen these templates before and have not used them usually happy with the variation that can be achieved with the airbrush. However, this is a case where they could be very useful. I like the idea of being able to pick a section of the template and specifically work a small area. I will definitely be ordering a set. 

The salt technique has its uses. Hopefully it will not be needed. 

Ray

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that information @Hristo D., most useful for anyone working on such a project as this :) 

17 hours ago, Ray_W said:

UPDATE: I have the plastic kit supplied ejection seat and this will be a good basis for making a black seat. Good raw material for a bespoke detailed seat. A nice little project coming up! I'll keep the resin one for that shiny earlier version MiG I hope to make one day. Next posts - a new seat - back in black. I'll play AC/DC while I do it.

So that's you started another MiG-21 Ray. When are you putting up a thread for it? :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

When are you putting up a thread for it?

You're on the ball!!

I would definitely do so if I could get the overtrees - might be a problem with the Eduard warehouse fire. A Vietnam era MiG would be a nice subject.

There is time.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

You're on the ball!!

That's a nice way of saying I'm a pain in the... :lol:

58 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

I would definitely do so if I could get the overtrees - might be a problem with the Eduard warehouse fire. A Vietnam era MiG would be a nice subject.

There is time.

Not sure what effect the fire has had on their distribution network yet but can't imagine it will have helped matters :( 

• Like 1

I made the decision to do the black seat based on the Bulgarian ejection seat info provided by @Hristo D. :thanks: . I used the kit parts and jazzed them up a little. The critical thing, as with most kit seats, is thinning to a more scale dimension, in this case  mainly the seat back and seat bucket. A trial fit also showed that the lower side details are hidden so I stopped here.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_28

I added more detail to the seat back. Reality is that most of this will not be seen. The drogue chute is from some left over dried PVA soaked tissue from my AFV build in the MTO GB. Cut a strip and shaped as desired.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_29

Thankfully I had a harness and ejection handle (painting most of it black in keeping with the later style) available in my the spare Eduard "Look" set.

The final result was very pleasing and now will really look the part in these later MiG-21's. I do use dry brushing, but use it carefully. I much prefer to use different shades of black and grey and different sheens to breath a little life into the project. Silver pencil for worn edges. 

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_30

Now I can keep going on that late Nineties rendition. Let's get those fuselage halves joined.

Ray

• Like 11

Some more progress. Actually a fair amount of work for little to show.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_38

I have read on some builds that there are fit issues of the spine and also at the wing root. You can see from that above I have had none. I did resort to a couple of simple strategies you may find useful.

With the spine. I first glued the halves together without the internal bulkheads. Then checked its fit allowing some movement (if required). No problems at all. Once the internal bulkeads are put in place then the problems start. You need to remove some material from the bulkheads to allow the spine to sit down flush. I seriously contemplated leaving them out altogether.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_32

Anyway, scrape a little off the internal bulkhead curve, hold with some rubber bands, Tamiya Extra Thin and all is done nicely.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_33

The small top side wing root gap (usually filled with Mr Surfacer) is simply overcome by the old time proven technique of first gluing the lower wing in position then glue the  top half at the wing root only ensuring any gap is is closed up. When sufficiently set, complete the rest of the wing. The usual trick and no gap filler required.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_35

The Eduard Brassin cockpit went in beautifully. I really like that you can slide the rear cockpit bulkhead in last. That is before the lower wing goes in place. This ensures a good fit at the base and correctly engaged in the spline.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_34

I have also noticed some builds get a fuselage gap after putting the resin cockpit in place. You need to ensure the cockpit tub is hard up under the top sill. If it drops slightly and sits below the stepped in second sill then it will not rest correctly on the lower sidewall support and force the fuselage sides out. Easy to get one side right and the other not. Ask me how I know. Thankfully discovered this before any glue was applied. Take your time, ensure both sides are up and under the top sill and no gaps result. Perfect fit.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_39

Most of the time was spent on the CWS resin nose ensuring I was happy with the fit and also the location for the internal piece that will support the radar cone. I glued all in place with Gel CA and sanded off any that squeezed out. The tell-tale black being the CA after sanding. Minimal gaps and no post filling required.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_36

I did smooth in the windscreen de-icing fairing with a CA/talc mix and also filled the resin casting's access panels and recessed lines with the same mix and sanded smooth. The recessed lines are slightly clunky. I will re-scribe these into the grey undercoat after a final defect check.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_40

And still need to do some more work tidying up around that nose wheel bay.

BG_Mig21bis_Construction_37

All-in-all a pleasing evening's work. I'll spray the worked on areas with a little Grey Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 and then enjoy a pleasurable time checking and fixing minor details before adding tail surfaces.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
typo
  • Like 6

Great work Ray. 

This is kit and CWS resin nose are in my to build pile so it’s goos to follow along and see how you’ve tackled it. 

Look forward to to the next update. 

James

• Like 1