Tamiya 1/72 Vought Corsair II

Afternoon all,

Hot off the bench, No.23 for the year and a return to the Fleet Air Arm with my second Corsair of the year, this time finished as a Mk II with the help once again of an Xtradecal sheet. I threw in some Eduard seat belts but otherwise it is built from the box. Finished as ever using Hataka Orange Line, with Tamiya and Alclad providing a base for the chipping. Still working on mastering that technique, which is made all the more difficult using Lacquer paints...

50653220486_78e880fcd9_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Vought Corsair II by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50653220456_cf5eca6439_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Vought Corsair II by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50653220411_088a450044_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Vought Corsair II by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50653220396_066eda3a41_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Vought Corsair II by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50653220371_c8260cf004_o.jpgTamiya 1/72 Vought Corsair II by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed,

Shaun

• Like 49

Thanks all, much appreciated

17 hours ago, IanC said:

Superb! I love the subtle weathering and, especially, how the decals show absolutely no silvering. What's your technique for that?

Nothing fancy! A coat or two of Tamiya Gloss after painting, then simply lay the decals in place and apply lashings of microsol.

17 hours ago, Xirurg said:

Great work!!!
I have the same kit - was it easy to work on?

Yes, it's a little beauty. Only iffy area of fit is the fuselage insert behind the canopy, and a lick of filler is needed at the wing roots, otherwise it's typical Tamiya

Thanks again,

Shaun

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

Outstanding! Superb paint and weathering, and the overpainted  roundels look very realistic- well done! @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @corsaircorp will be very proud of this one! :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike... Haven't been in RFI today. Good to see RN Corsair. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Outstanding! Superb paint and weathering, and the overpainted  roundels look very realistic- well done! @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @corsaircorp will be very proud of this one! :like:

Mike

Thanks Mike !!

Very great Corsair Seamus !!

Well done and great weathering !!

Congrats my friend !!

Always a pleasure to see such a beauty !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Shaun,

I was looking at your excellent Corsair II, and I noticed that the main gear doors on the inboard side of each wing seem to be angled perpendicular to the ground, which is correct for the outboard doors. The inboard door hangs  so it is angled towards the tip. This would apply to all Corsairs from the F4U-1 to the AU-1. it's a little detail not often picked up on by modelers. I have attached a photo of a Corsair to show how the inboard doors should be angled. This is an FG-1D, but it was the best front view photo I could lay my hands on in a hurry. Not intended in any way as a criticism of your killer Mk II, but a suggestion on how to take it up another notch. :like:

Mike

https://www.alamy.com/stock-image-world-war-ii-era-navy-airplane-front-view-163177139.html

Edited by 72modeler
added link
  • Like 1