1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc by Zvezda - released

Homebee

On 6/18/2021 at 3:44 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

BTW, price in Poland will be around 30 PLN, roughly €7 or £6. Hurricane I from Airfix (01010A) costs 33 PLN.

It's even cheaper. At my LHS the price is 27 PLN, so €6.00 or £5.10

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc by Zvezda - 3D renders+box art+sprues - release July 2021
On 6/18/2021 at 1:18 PM, Wulfman said:

Hi Graham, if the Aoshima Hurricane was anything like their other kits of the time, it was a load of carp . Did you have the Kiel-Kraft Iic ?

Wulfman

Yes, twice.  Although I never had the 1/96 Eagle Hurricane, so that's one I missed.  I did have their Me163 and Gloster Whittle, plus their Spitfire in its Vulcan release.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to post a link to the Google version of a translation, but something's not working, so you're on your own, I'm afraid. If you read a bit further on to the next page, it turns out that the reference to "hellish fenders" is how Google translates "(hellish) sink marks". It's not a reference to Ted Nugent's guitar playing. I definitely agree that sink marks are a problem with the Zvezda Yak-3's wings, as is mentioned on page 17, although I never thought of them as "hellish", but that is rather good.

John

On 7/17/2021 at 7:02 AM, Nick Nichols said:

From this post down about the disadvantages of the Zvezda model. Sorry, but I'll have to use a translator:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_p_1694384.html#1694384

My Russian is a little bit rusty so I'll not translate whole comment but the most substantial notes.

Compared to other kits:

• Better than Revell, because Zvezda has correct fabric areas on fuselage and length of Zvezda is same as Mk.II, but Revell is as short as Mk.I.
  • Better than Academy, because Zvezda has correct width of the fuselage, Academy is skinny.

More important / harder to fix geometry issues:

• Tail cross-sections "with deviations to minus" - without the kit it's hard to say what he meant.
  • "The cockpit canopy is not wedge-shaped as it should be, but with parallel edges."

Less important / easier to fix geometry issues:

• Wrongly shaped propeller spinner.
  • "Unusual propeller blades."
  • Incorrect wingtips.
  • Narrow water radiator.
  • Intake from Mk.I
  • Too pronounced two protruding ribs on the fuselage.
  • Too thick keel.

Strong points:

• Sits well in the scale plans (minus the above-mentioned flaws) - unfortunately there is no info, what scale plans he refers to.
  • Correct panel lines.
  • No dents in the plastic.
  • "Model is very well technologically divided - despite ugly snap-kit technology, it didn't affect its surfaces. I.e. there are no ugly dints on wings like on Yak-3 and Bf 109F".

My personal disclaimer: without mentioning the name / source of the plans on which the above comments were made, this description must be treated with caution.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc by Zvezda - released
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I’d hoped that this might be a cheapish way of getting a serviceable IIc. I’m more of a colours and markings kind of guy, but I do like the base kit to be reasonably accurate. I’ll be giving this one a miss.

It’s  hard to imagine how companies can stuff up a kit so badly in this day and age, but it keeps on happening. 

First time I have noticed - the kit has 2 pilot figures, one wearing goggles over eyes other with goggles on forehead cap, some other differences as well between the figures... 

The figures could be separate styled British and Soviet pilots / uniform flying suite and garb as kit gives decals for both nations? 

Hard to tell as I do not have the kit in my hands...

Edited by Uncle Dick

2 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

The figures could be separate styled British and Soviet pilots / uniform flying suite and garb as kit gives decals for both nations? 

Yes. Was commented on at some point.

Just building this kit at the moment and it is pretty darned good.  It is more accurate than the Revell kit and they have reproduced the fuselage ribbing really well, certainly better than the Academy one and hugely better than the Hasegawa one which, in my opinion, is pretty poor in this area.  I only have the Osprey plans of the type and it matches up almost exactly.  I don't think 'serious' modellers will build it without using glue, however.  The tolerances are pretty tight but the lower/upper wing fit defintely benefits from being glued.  The ony critcism I have is that the upper/lower wing joint bisects the flaps, rather oddly, and is difficult to hide.  A couple of minutes with sand paper made the spinner much more realistic looking.

On the whole a really excellent kit.  Probably the only other kit which is better is the Arma one but they have set the bar very high indeed.  .

• Like 1