1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc by Zvezda - released

Homebee

Thanks, I didn't know that. Glad I held off on buying the conversion kit back when it was first released.

I'm not sure about fuselage length for Hurricanes but if the 13,6cm that Zvezda indicates is based on the kit that could perhaps point towards this being a I or a II? I see 9,83m quoted for a II which would convert to 13,65cm. I believe the I was about 4 inches shorter?

Anyway, we'll soon find out when Zvezda provides some more details. These are great kits to have available, if only because my local hobby shop seems to like Zvezda and generally stocks a lot of these easybuild kits.

• 5 months later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc by Zvezda - 3D renders - release in 2021

As I posted on their facebook page (with some additions here)

Two errors from the CAD shots. The carb intake is for a Mk.I, the Mk.II had a wider intake with a faring at the back, visible here clearly.   Note, the ONLY kit to get this detail is the Arma Hobby Mk.II kit. From memory no other Hurricane kit gets this right. (I'd noeed to double check the 72nd one to be sure) but the 48th and 32nd don't.

spacer.png

and the propeller an spinner look like the type fitted to some warbirds, which were originally from a Lockheed Constellation. Mk.II's had two different spinners, they are similar in appearance, the CM/1 and the ES/9.

The above image  has  the ES/9 spinner fitted AFAIK.

Please see here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234980181-hawker-hurricane-propellers-and-spinners-a-modellers-guide/ for photos of these different types, and in you go down the page, the Constellation type as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Supersonic26 said:

a cheap state-of-the-art Hurricane Mk.II does sound pretty appealing.

Is that Arma Hobby Hurricane not state-of-the-art enough ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiG-Mech said:

Is that Arma Hobby Hurricane not state-of-the-art enough ?

It is certainly state of the art, wouldn't call it cheap though. Depending on the store I can get 2-3 Zvezda snap kits for the price of one Arma Hobby. I don't doubt the quality of the AH kits, but that kind of price difference is relevant for me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Supersonic26 said:

It is certainly state of the art, wouldn't call it cheap though. Depending on the store I can get 2-3 Zvezda snap kits for the price of one Arma Hobby. I don't doubt the quality of the AH kits, but that kind of price difference is relevant for me.

I'm with you. Occasionally, I get the urge to build a few of the same subject simply as "canvases" for some interesting markings. In these cases, the colour scheme and markings take a higher priority for me than accuracy & detail. The Zvezda Hurricane looks like a good candidate for this objective.

Edited by James Venables
  • Like 3

Well I do, and I can see that the Zvezda kit falls short in at least a couple of areas, but not everyone does.  Given the number of Mk.IIc around already that fall equally short, if not more so, I wouldn't have thought that there'd be any difficulty for modellers with other approaches picking up any number of cheap examples.  However that wouldn't make any money for Zvezda, and wouldn't have the curiosity and joy of the new.

Somehow I don't see it costing 1/3 of an AH kit in the UK, and only 1/2 compared to the more expensive all-singing all-dancing boxings.

I must admit to having, or having had, at least one example of every Hurricane tooling in 1/72 and 1/144 other than the Aosima, and I would have had that had I seen it.  But realistically I'm not going to finish all the ones I have, so see no purpose in obtaining an inferior product.  Price is much less important: I must admit having some doubt of claims that kits are too expensive when the claim is made on the internet using expensive electronics with monthly charges.  Assuming, of course, that the eventual kit when released does match what we are being shown, possibly an unsafe assumption.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 2:36 PM, sroubos said:

Arma's kit is brilliant but more expensive and harder to obtain than this when it is released.

Hannants has full offer..... is it sommething easier?

I live in NL and can order it from the Aviationmegastore at 12,95 plus 7 euros delivery. Not exactly cheap, about twice the cost of getting the Airfix at my local hobbyshop, who don't stock more exotic brands like Arma.

:D  which is why I tend to do a circuit, visiting MBE in Hoorn and stopping over at AMS on the way home. 

All depends where you live of course,  being near Utrecht makes it rather simple :P

5 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Well I do, and I can see that the Zvezda kit falls short in at least a couple of areas, but not everyone does.  Given the number of Mk.IIc around already that fall equally short, if not more so, I wouldn't have thought that there'd be any difficulty for modellers with other approaches picking up any number of cheap examples.  However that wouldn't make any money for Zvezda, and wouldn't have the curiosity and joy of the new.

Somehow I don't see it costing 1/3 of an AH kit in the UK, and only 1/2 compared to the more expensive all-singing all-dancing boxings.

I must admit to having, or having had, at least one example of every Hurricane tooling in 1/72 and 1/144 other than the Aosima, and I would have had that had I seen it.  But realistically I'm not going to finish all the ones I have, so see no purpose in obtaining an inferior product.  Price is much less important: I must admit having some doubt of claims that kits are too expensive when the claim is made on the internet using expensive electronics with monthly charges.  Assuming, of course, that the eventual kit when released does match what we are being shown, possibly an unsafe assumption.

UK RRP is £8.50, here reduced to £7.65. Couple of quid more than the "Easy Assembly" Hurri from Hobby Boss, and about a third less than the Arma one (£12.99 basic boxing).

https://www.models2u.co.uk/contents/en-uk/p16081_Hawker-Hurricane-Mk.-IIc.html

9 hours ago, AWFK10 said:

From Troy's post: "....the propeller and spinner look like the type fitted to some warbirds, which were originally from a Lockheed Constellation."

That's interesting, because it explains the spinner on the old Revell 1/32 Hurricane I.

Revell at some point in tat's kits history retooled it to be a "IIC"  in that they added wing bulges, cannon, and messed with the existing spinner.    Which is as great as it sounds.

One kit that seems to have used the Constellation spinner was the 72nd Hasegawa Mk.II

hurricane_02.jpg

14927172911_d2dccdbd34_z.jpg

5 hours ago, IT_Man said:

UK RRP is £8.50, here reduced to £7.65. Couple of quid more than the "Easy Assembly" Hurri from Hobby Boss,

The Hobbyboss is OK,  but, has it's faults, the main one is the pencil like nose. (from memory)    I did post on the Zvezda page, but no response.  

Not checked what the deal with Arma's overtrees for the UK now is, as they are only doing order to the UK over £135, as a result of brexit was the last i read from them.   

5 hours ago, IT_Man said:

and about a third less than the Arma one (£12.99 basic boxing).

Be intereesting to see if it's a 2/3rds as good.    Still, Arma's core market is serious modellers, as they are complex kits,  and this is more of a starter kit.   I have the Zvezda snap together Fw190 and that looks good, and did a few Zvezda Disney snap togther cars and planes with my daughter, and they were superbly engineered kits, really impressive, only real letdown was the use of paper stickers.

One thing that is surprising, now thinking about it,  is that Zvezda didn't do a IIB, as IIA/B are the most photographed of Soviet Hurricanes, and they a specfic Sovie boxing woud be a good idea in Russia I'd have thought   The VVs did get a load of IIC', but photos are very very rare, and I've still not seen a decent image of one with full markings visible.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Revell at some point in tat's kits history retooled it to be a "IIC"  in that they added wing bulges, cannon, and messed with the existing spinner.    Which is as great as it sounds.

One kit that seems to have used the Constellation spinner was the 72nd Hasegawa Mk.II

hurricane_02.jpg

14927172911_d2dccdbd34_z.jpg

The Hobbyboss is OK,  but, has it's faults, the main one is the pencil like nose. (from memory)    I did post on the Zvezda page, but no response.  

Not checked what the deal with Arma's overtrees for the UK now is, as they are only doing order to the UK over £135, as a result of brexit was the last i read from them.   

Be intereesting to see if it's a 2/3rds as good.    Still, Arma's core market is serious modellers, as they are complex kits,  and this is more of a starter kit.   I have the Zvezda snap together Fw190 and that looks good, and did a few Zvezda Disney snap togther cars and planes with my daughter, and they were superbly engineered kits, really impressive, only real letdown was the use of paper stickers.

One thing that is surprising, now thinking about it,  is that Zvezda didn't do a IIB, as IIA/B are the most photographed of Soviet Hurricanes, and they a specfic Sovie boxing woud be a good idea in Russia I'd have thought   The VVs did get a load of IIC', but photos are very very rare, and I've still not seen a decent image of one with full markings visible.

Hobby Boss fuselage is too slim.

Wulfman

14 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Hobby Boss fuselage is too slim.

Wulfman

The nose is, the rest looked OK, but I'd have to re-check.   If you highlight a line of text, you can just quote that, rather than my entire post (saved thread clutter)

cheers

T

On 5/28/2021 at 11:44 AM, MiG-Mech said:

Oh, I was thinking, ppl want new kits from new moulds coz of accuracy and details.

Sorry, my fault.

No need to apologise. It just shows the most fundamental aspect of being human: we're not all the same. 👍

• Like 3

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc by Zvezda - 3D renders+box art - release in 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc by Zvezda - 3D renders+box art - release June-July 2021
On 28/05/2021 at 10:02, Graham Boak said:

I must admit to having, or having had, at least one example of every Hurricane tooling in 1/72 and 1/144 other than the Aosima would have had that had I seen it.  But realistically I'm not going to finish all the ones I have, so see no purpose in obtaining an inferior product.  Price is much less important: I must admit having some doubt of claims that kits are too expensive when the claim is made on the internet using expensive electronics with monthly charges.  Assuming, of course, that the eventual kit when released does match what we are being shown, possibly an unsafe assumption.

Hi Graham, if the Aoshima Hurricane was anything like their other kits of the time, it was a load of carp . Did you have the Kiel-Kraft Iic ?

Wulfman