USMC AV-8A

Julien

Correct, the colours were originally the British ones. According to the Monogram guide on US Navy colours, the first 12 were delivered in glossy finish and the following in more appropriate matt colours.

Only later the colours were changed to the closest US colours, these being FS 36099, 34064 and 36440.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In some images where the airframe colours have been spot repaired the freshly applied patches in both top surface colours are noticeably darker although whether this is merely fresh paint from the original finish specification being applied to a sun/salt faded aircraft or if  different darker hues are being used in the repair is unclear.

Regarding temporary finishes Tim McLelland's 'Harrier' published by Ian Allan Classic has a couple of shots of different  USMC AV-8A in standard colours with temporary brown and tan camouflage areas added.

Julien,

I took these in the mid 80's on Cannon AFB transient ramp. They were scanned from photos. I didn't have a negative scanner at the time.

May help.

AV-8A-159370-13 AV-8A-159370-14 AV-8A-159370-15

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Like 6

16 hours ago, f111guru said:

I took these in the mid 80's on Cannon AFB transient ramp. They were scanned from photos. I didn't have a negative scanner at the time.

May help.

These seem to be the AV-8C variant.

Nils

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Des said:

In some images where the airframe colours have been spot repaired the freshly applied patches in both top surface colours are noticeably darker although whether this is merely fresh paint from the original finish specification being applied to a sun/salt faded aircraft or if  different darker hues are being used in the repair is unclear.

At Cherry Point in '76 when I was there, the Marines were using aerosol cans of "the nearest shade" to the DG/DSG they could find in the GSA catalog to spot repair the finish.  Any repairs to the undersurface LAG was touched up with a "Gull Gray" :-

spacer.png

Quite a few of the aircraft looked quite patchy.

HTH

Dennis

• Like 3

To the best of my knowledge they were fitted with the Stencel from construction.

I've often wondered why British standard colours were specified for the AV-8A. I understand the adoption of the RAF camouflage as it was suitable for Marine operations, but in light of the size of the order and the USMC-specific alterations I have always been surprised that BS colours were used.