1/144 Zvezda Qantas 747-8 to 747-400 Conversion

10 hours ago, Turbofan said:

The weathering on the wings doesn't show up very well in the pics but I'm really pleased with the stains under the windows and the marks left but the jetways. They're easy to do with graphite from a very soft pencil and a Q-tip

Duly noted Sir

On 28/11/2020 at 16:24, phil1 said:

another fantastic build Ian, your finished product is always as close to the real thing as you can get. great conversion job too

Phil

Thanks Phil, realism is what I drive for!

On 28/11/2020 at 19:35, Stinger 9 said:

There should be a category in this site called Museum Collection. Yours would certainly be in that collection.

Steve from Sydney

Hi Steve,

I like that idea, my wife already thinks we have a model museum in the house!

22 hours ago, NealParkes said:

That is a very well don tribute to the “Queen of the skies”! Cracking build and thank you for sharing it with us. Did you do a WIP thread? 

Neal

Thank you Neal, I generally don't do WIP's because I've normally got so many models on the go and some are in progress for years. This is an exception in that I started and finished it in only a couple of months and didn't work on anything else in between.

11 hours ago, At Sea said:

A beautiful finish, the restrained weathering and marks from jet ways etc is spot on. 

Thank you! I found a number of pics with the jetway marks so I couldn't resist adding them and they're so easy to do!

Cheers,

Ian

WOW...I mean WOW

What a stunner and great presentation.

As a big 747 fan,this warms my heart.As the real things almost disappeared from passengerservice ,its great to see them built to such perfection.

No shame in digging so a super build back up but I have a question, which is a better base kit for the passenger 400 conversion, the 8i or the 8f?  Having reassessed my effort on the a380, I'm thinking of having a crack again at a fresh build, though probably will end up a smaller more manageable aircraft, but a 747 is an option and long term I want to do a Landor 747-400. 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

On 02/12/2020 at 00:42, RCI said:

oh dear christ, he is back 😎 great choice of a bomber, well built, the usual quality standards delivered and maintained :) thx for sharing

Thanks Sini!

On 09/12/2020 at 19:59, Alex1978 said:

WOW...I mean WOW

What a stunner and great presentation.

As a big 747 fan,this warms my heart.As the real things almost disappeared from passengerservice ,its great to see them built to such perfection.

Thank you Alex, glad such a 747 fan as yourself likes it!

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

No shame in digging so a super build back up but I have a question, which is a better base kit for the passenger 400 conversion, the 8i or the 8f?  Having reassessed my effort on the a380, I'm thinking of having a crack again at a fresh build, though probably will end up a smaller more manageable aircraft, but a 747 is an option and long term I want to do a Landor 747-400. 

Hi Stu,

I only have experience converting the Zvezda 747-8 which is the passenger variant so can't comment on the -8f from Revell. 

An -8f would make a good place to start if you're building a-100/200 as you already have the shorter upper deck but there's more involved in a -100/200 conversion.

Just measured my 747-400 and it's 460mm wide by 500mm long, so not much smaller than the A380! If you're looking for something more manageable the Zvezda 737-800 is a beautiful kit. Lots of livery options too.

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks @Turbofan, was under the erroneous assumption the deck on the 400 passenger is shorter than the 8i so thought it would make things easier.  Indeed the 737-800 is one of the options, though I suspect I’m going to end up with the 787-8, 777-300 or A350-1000

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Hi Ian,

I hope you are doing well!

Beautiful work as always. You’re quite the master when it comes to conversions.

I’ve been out of the modelling game for a while due to us moving to a newly-build home. All is settled now and I’m happy to see at BM there is still love for the 1:144 airliners, such as your model. Your recently build Pan-Am 747-SP is  beauty also.

Hi Martijn,

Thank you!

Yes all is well here but my modelling output has slowed due to not having as much time as I used to. Glad you're back modelling hope you have a new dedicated modelling room in your new house! Next year we are extending the house so I should have a room to myself rather than the corner of the dining room, can't wait!

It's been busy with airliners here recently which is good. I'm glad you like my recent 747sp I'm thinking about redoing the pics of it as I'm not too happy with them. It was too sunny and there are reflections of the window on the baseboard.

Cheers,

Ian

• 11 months later...

Stunning build. Well converted and your weathering is just right. My only critique comments would be that the leading edge wing to body fairing is still as the -8 and the -400 root is shaped a little differently. Also it looks like you didn’t re-scribe the trailing edge flaps to the triple slots on the -400. I am doing a -400 and have a struggled with the conversations necessary to achieve what I want to do. I found the Zvezda nose to be correct but there to be too much to alter on the rest it get what I wanted. The horizontal stabiliser halves don’t lend themselves to lighting and the panel lines are not correctly positioned so I used the Revell -8 horizontal stabiliser, but spliced the Zvezda-8 nose on. I am 1/4 through the build. It has a lit 3D printed flight deck and will be fully illuminated with powered fans. I had to thin the wings which I am still not happy with but they will have to do (the -8 wings I felt were the wrong inboard profile. ). Engines were from Druz but with 3D printed modified parts to take the motors. Nose and body gear are Revell -8 and the body gear I had cast in white metal in order to run power into the airplane from the diorama. It is supposed to be a display of the final service flight of a Virgin 747 (pretty woman departing Orlando)…. 
I love how you weathered yours and will take pointers for mine!