196 - 1/43 Renault 30 TS

Bengalensis

On 28/11/2020 at 21:33, Jinxman said:

Very convincing work - I have to ask if you spend as much time on the 1:1 scale projects? 😉

Thanks. I probably spend more time on 1/1 scale, but it goes in cycles, depending on my work situation, which is quite erratic, and general inspiration. When I have quiet periods here on BM I'm usually stuck in the 1/1 scale workshop, or doing real work to pay for my excursions... Not sure I have any more life than that...

On 29/11/2020 at 02:20, JOCKNEY said:

Ok I'm curious, what other automotive delights cohabit with your TS that you teased us with in the above photos ?

It looks like it's not just kits that are forming a stash :wink:

Oh, it's nothing in the extreme, in that photo you can see tiny parts of a '70 R16, '73 R17, Alpine A310 V6 (slow Gr5 build for historic rallying, it's the separated GRP-shell there) apart from the main subject '80 R30TX. Close by we have '68 Lotus Europa, '81 R18TS break, '73 Kadett B (mrs's), '90 BMW E34 M5, '90 Miata NA (mrs's) '98 Miata NB...

I'm generally good at stashing, cars, kits, but I do also finish some things. 😎

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Thanks. I probably spend more time on 1/1 scale, but it goes in cycles, depending on my work situation, which is quite erratic, and general inspiration. When I have quiet periods here on BM I'm usually stuck in the 1/1 scale workshop, or doing real work to pay for my excursions... Not sure I have any more life than that...

Oh, it's nothing in the extreme, in that photo you can see tiny parts of a '70 R16, '73 R17, Alpine A310 V6 (slow Gr5 build for historic rallying, it's the separated GRP-shell there) apart from the main subject '80 R30TX. Close by we have '68 Lotus Europa, '81 R18TS break, '73 Kadett B (mrs's), '90 E34 M5, '90 Miata NA (mrs's) '98 Miata NB...

I'm generally good at stashing, cars, kits, but I do also finish some things. 😎

Great collection, I'm envious of your storage. I ran out of space in the garage so 2 of mine at stashed at other people's houses !

I find the biggest challenge to getting anything done to my cars is lack of time, perhaps when I retire.....

Cheers Pat

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Now you have my closest attention. 😀 😍 Does it get out of the garage at all?

Oh yes, it's street legal, just, but mileage never gets very high as it's much more of a race car in preparation than street/road friendly. Adrenaline kicking... should see more track use...

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great collection, I'm envious of your storage. I ran out of space in the garage so 2 of mine at stashed at other people's houses !

I find the biggest challenge to getting anything done to my cars is lack of time, perhaps when I retire.....

Thanks, yes, one can not have too much storage space. I'm soon out of useable space as well, but have still some areas that can have new floor laid, and a good deal of land to build on in worst case. Although I prefer to waste money on cars or models rather than building...

What do you have? Now I seem to recall a Jaguar mentioned somewhere sometime? Or am I confusing things?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

Oh yes, it's street legal, just, but mileage never gets very high as it's much more of a race car in preparation than street/road friendly. Adrenaline kicking... should see more track use...

Thanks, yes, one can not have too much storage space. I'm soon out of useable space as well, but have still some areas that can have new floor laid, and a good deal of land to build on in worst case. Although I prefer to waste money on cars or models rather than building...

What do you have? Now I seem to recall a Jaguar mentioned somewhere sometime? Or am I confusing things?

1948 MG TC 

1960 Mark 2 Jaguar 

1966 MGB GT

1969 MGB Roadster

1970 MGB GT

1949 Douglas 350 twin 

1949 BSA Bantam D1 

1950 BSA Bantam D1

1953 BSA Bantam D1 (I kept being offered them !)

Currently trying to add a 1953 Aston Martin DB2/4 Barn find.

It's a illness really !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

1948 MG TC 

1960 Mark 2 Jaguar 

1966 MGB GT

1969 MGB Roadster

1970 MGB GT

1949 Douglas 350 twin 

1949 BSA Bantam D1 

1950 BSA Bantam D1

1953 BSA Bantam D1 (I kept being offered them !)

Currently trying to add a 1953 Aston Martin DB2/4 Barn find.

It's a illness really !

Oh, that's a very impressive collection! I would say "Yes please!" to all of those actually. You have an excellent taste! Good luck with the Aston, I hope you can add it and bring it back on the road!

• Thanks 1

An interesting observation, you get two front right handed indicators, and zero left handed...

R30_18.jpg

Of course with the parts being quite basic, with a little sanding one can be fitted backwards on the left side...

R30_19.jpg

With a little filler and some small pieces of Evergreen strips, followed with sanding and shaping, the front end is getting closer.

R30_20.jpg

With the bumper ends slimmed down it's not too far off I think.

R30_21.jpg

Oh, here are two other Heller 1/43 kits I built in the mid 90's, the Renault R5 Turbo. The red one was built after photos of an early presentation car and needed different wheels that I copied from some other kit and cast in resin. The other in Calberson colours is from Giro d'Italia automobilistico 1979, driven by Frequelin/Andrié (the first competitive outing for the R5T if my memory isn't flawed now), and was built I think with all decals straight from the Heller sheet of that edition, a very nice little kit. Resin seats and a few photo etched details completed it.

R30_22.jpg

R30_23.jpg

The rear panel fits edge to edge to the body shell. Not easy, so I added a small Evergreen strip as a backing. The rear section of the floor part is cut off to join the body.

R30_24.jpg

There should be a recess for the license plate between the rear lights, but Heller made the panel flat. I cut and shaped that area.

R30_25.jpg

The parts are glued to the body and a thin strip of Evergreen is added to give some more material to work with.

R30_26.jpg

With everything sanded to shape, the rear hatch lock added and the rear bumper adjusted and tacked in place I think rear end might work out.

R30_27.jpg

A drilled out and shaped piece of soldering wire makes a better exhaust pipe.

R30_28.jpg

A piece of wire for the antenna was found and tested.

R30_29.jpg

There is a shaped block provided for the front license plate, but since the real car has a separate thin plate riveted to two fittings on the lower front panel, I cut a piece of thin styrene to get closer to the real thing. I will use the kit decals I think, I like their look. I should find some very fine mesh for the three lower air intakes perhaps.

R30_30.jpg

The blob of the V6 "engine" is strange in itself, but the fit is even weirder. The engine is placed centred in the real car (the round air cleaner is centred on the real engine), but to clear the wheels the blob would have to be placed very much off-centre. I should have thrown the part away as it's not needed, but just for the principle of it I glued it centred. The hack saw or Dremel will have come out and remove whatever it is sticking out interfering with the wheel...

R30_31.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Time to catch up here. I was going to spray 2K surfacer once again on some parts for the big Citroën and thought I would get this body in on that as well. I picked it up to rig it, and it suddenly dawned on me how bad the side strips were. Oversized and not equal side to side...

R30_32.jpg

R30_33.jpg

That wouldn't do. I shaved it all off and added new trim from 0,25x0,5 mm Evergreen strips. I'm much more happy with this.

R30_34.jpg

R30_35.jpg

Surfacer sprayed that will cure for a few days before some sanding.

R30_36.jpg

• Like 4

The surfacer was sanded and then I added some fine photo etched mesh to the three lower radiator intakes. Not much will be seen of that.

R30_37.jpg

Then I sprayed the green metallic base coat. The clear coat will wait until I do a clear spraying session with the Citroën. All parts also got their first coat of paint, and a little detail painting done.

R30_38.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Looking great! Love the colour too. Must say, the R30 has certainly grown on me. It's a nice looking car.

Thanks a lot. This is the colour combination of my first R20, back in mid 80's, it was of course also available on the R30. The R30 is overlooked, it's a lovely car, reasonably quick and very comfortable. I enjoyed every km (and they became many) that I put on my R30TX.

All detail painting is now done on all parts. The interior is so basic in the kit that I'm only blocking the basic colours in. Many of the 1/43 kits Heller released later have far better interiors.

R30_40.jpg

Well, almost all parts painted. The bumpers did not satisfy an inspection with fresh eyes, so they were promptly returned to the painting department with a sharp note of doing the job well and stop wasting time and resources. This is the second attempt this evening and it's much better.

R30_41.jpg

The foil work is done on the body, the black areas and some details have also been painted. More work remains.

R30_42.jpg

R30_43.jpg

• Like 5

Oh yeah that looks awesome! Lovely "foiling" there. 

52 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

The bumpers did not satisfy an inspection with fresh eyes, so they were promptly returned to the painting department with a sharp note of doing the job well and stop wasting time and resources. 

😄

• Like 1

The interior is assembled and glued to the base.

R30_45.jpg

A bit more detailing done on the body. I have to draw and print the emblems on decal film to fit over the BMF patches.

R30_46.jpg

Grill and headlights fitted, and I have started the work of fitting the ill fitting windows. Kristal Klear is drying around the windscreen.

R30_47.jpg

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

I love it - gonna have to drag a 1/43 resin kit out of the stash for the Anything but Injection GB on the back of the quality of this build. :clap2:

Thanks a lot. 1/43 is a lovely scale and I have build so many resin 1/43 kits over the years and enjoyed them all, especially when they were at their height. Still have a good stash that I too will have dive into again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

Thanks a lot. 1/43 is a lovely scale and I have build so many resin 1/43 kits over the years and enjoyed them all, especially when they were at their height. Still have a good stash that I too will have dive into again.

You can't beat the smell of that resin as you open the box - not sure why aircraft kit resin doesn't smell the same. 😀

Must get a hit of that Provence Moulage odour again....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jinxman said:

You can't beat the smell of that resin as you open the box - not sure why aircraft kit resin doesn't smell the same. 😀

Must get a hit of that Provence Moulage odour again....

I'm all with you here, that special smell is magic! Sadly there are lesser and lesser of the mostly french resin kits that come with that smell today. There's always a lot of excitement when a new resin kit arrives and the box is carefully opened...

• Like 1

Some force had to be applied when gluing the sides of the windows with epoxy.

R30_48.jpg

The simple interior sides were glued into the bodyshell and then the bottom with interior was glued. The trim around the windscreen was added from very narrow cut strips of BMF chrome foil.

R30_49.jpg

• Like 6

More details have been fitted.

R30_50.jpg

R30_51.jpg

I spent some time in AutoCAD drawing the rear emblems in 1/1 scale with scanned originals as the template. Although the artwork is sharp, the print size is very small, but they came out better than I dared to expect.

R30_52.jpg

Not very much remains now. In the meantime, enjoy:

• Like 4