DUNE Spice Harvester Kit

One of my grail kits the David Lynch Dune Spice Harvester has  been announced by scifimodels.de. https://modelermagic.com/kit-alert-from-scifi-models-dune-1-200-40cm-15-75-spice-harvester-kit/

Those of us who are old enough will remember that Revell announced this subject and photos exist of the box art at a trade fair ...so for me at least the wait is finally over !  It's pricey but looks superb and the guy has really done his research

This seems like a curious release, considering the new film should be in cinemas late next year (in theory, at least). Maybe this has been encouraged by the impending movie...?

I've seen the original kit at one model-show, took one look at the price and had to lie down for a while.

Chris.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

....Revell? I didn't know that...

I remember that Revell once offered  a model kit of the Sand Crawler from the Lynch Movie. Revell Article No. 1776. They also had the Ornithopter (1775) and the Sand Worm (1778). All these Kits are pretty hard to find and a bit smaller than the Monster above.

• Like 1

There's a bit of info about the two cancelled Revell Dune kits here 

https://duneinfo.com/collectors-of-dune/kits-and-models

Somewhere I have a copy of an issue of Enterprise incidents magazine which had a report on the trade fair where the prototype and box for the Revell Spice Harvester was shown in a photo ....

I've managed to get 2 of the 3 issued Revell Kits over the years ...the missing one is a kit of the sandworm  that looks bad IMHO  but the ornithopter and sand crawler are very nice ... (but have strangely brittle plastic and some very very thin parts that break easily ...I think they were designed in Germany and wonder what happened to the moulds ....

• 6 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, Neil Lambess said:

Somewhere I have a copy of an issue of Enterprise incidents magazine which had a report on the trade fair where the prototype and box for the Revell Spice Harvester was shown in a photo ....

Wow! A blast from the past: Enterprise Incidents magazine!! Had most of them and it was a great publication with lots of cool articles and pictures (mostly black and white)!! Have lost them over the years, but Neil, I had that same issue which showed the image of the Revell harvester kit and man, was I excited about its release at the time. The big, bug-like spice harvester of my favorite designs from the Lynch Dune film (did not like the Atreides 'thopter). It was truly a bummer when the kit was never released...

600-plus Euros is a lot of spice, and too rich for my blood --- perhaps one day, someone will release a smaller, more affordable version of the vehicle.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Neil.  Would love to see pictures of the big harvester kit built up if anybody purchases it. Curious to see what the designs for the harvester and other vehicles will look like in the forthcoming DV "Dune"...

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B. 

Edited by JohnnyBros718
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Yep it's a stunner ....and Soooo much better than the Apollo crawler used in the new film (tho I did like the harkonnen harvesters seen briefly at the start ... ( was quite dissapointed that it looks like the filmed at a nasa crawler by the looks of things :(

It's probably a matter of taste. In my opinion, an old harvester looks a bit like a child's toy. The new one actually resembles a NASA crawler, but is that a disadvantage? APC from Alien, one of the most popular vehicles among modellers, seems to be a modified air towing tractor. Personally, I like sci-fi creations based on existing objects more, probably because it's easier for me to believe in the future, which includes elements of the present. This thread made me want to build a Dune harvester from scratch. Not the old one, just the "made by NASA" 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, voozet said:

Alien, one of the most popular vehicles among modellers, seems to be a modified air towing tractor.

Have you ever noticed how, when the Space Marines are inside the APC they can stand up straight, but in the few, brief shots when they are standing next to the vehicle, they are taller than it. Did they use some TARDIS tech in designing the APC?

Chris. 

It is difficult not to notice similar phenomena if you have had contact with WH40K 😉

spacer.png

Even if it was a short contact, as in my case. My favorite was the tracks on vehicles, they bend in some unbelievable way.

But it is a world made for tabletop wargaming which limits model designers.  They design units first and then a fluff to add some sense to their creations.

On 30/01/2022 at 10:50, spruecutter96 said:

Have you ever noticed how, when the Space Marines are inside the APC they can stand up straight, but in the few, brief shots when they are standing next to the vehicle, they are taller than it. Did they use some TARDIS tech in designing the APC?

Chris. 

Maybe they are just walking on their knees and the camera angle doesn't show it ?😉

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Neil Lambess said:

Maybe they are just walking on their knees and the camera angle doesn't show it ?

A new slogan for the movie-poster:

"In space, no one can hear your knees creak!"

Chris. 

• Haha 3