McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom, 57th FIS, USAF, Iceland.

modelling minion

Bit more progress to report, the engines are finished!

I started by painting the parts from the original kit items, giving the exhaust can a coat of the protective green they seem to have and then weathered a bit and painting the the turbine area in the red brown colour that they turn after a bit of use. This is how they looked;

spacer.png

The resin parts were next up. I gave these a coat of black and then used vallejo aluminium and exhaust dry brushed on in the respective areas, then I used Tamiya's weathering powders to add that blue tint to them and followed all that up with a dry brushing of a light stone colour and some Gunze soot. They ended up like this;

spacer.png

Nothing left then but to join the respective parts together;

spacer.png

And an attempt at a look down the business end, not much will be really visible;

spacer.png

It may not have the depth of the real thing but I think it works okay.

With these done and the weapons about finished she is very nearly completed and should hopefully cross the finish line tomorrow.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

Tidy work on the 'cans Craig, another detail that will add to the overall result, hopefully we'll get to see the finished article soon :bounce:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dansk said:

Very nice craig. Looking forward to the reveal today. 🤗

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Tidy work on the 'cans Craig, another detail that will add to the overall result, hopefully we'll get to see the finished article soon :bounce:

Cheers guys, well she is finished but no pics today I'm afraid.

Seems I have come down with a mild case of Covid and whilst finishing the Phantom wasn't exactly a physical job I am completely shattered, hopefully tomorrow will be easier and I will be able to get the pictures done.

• Sad 2

I would genuinely keep a close eye on that mate.

If you have a loss of appetite too be prepared to push to get seen to.

My good friend, he’s in his 40s, just went through a terrible covid episode.

I am posting a dodgy google translated version here as he put it out publically and Im sure he would appreciate others being aware of how it can be.... hopefully the sentiments come across

A Corona account

On December 22nd, I knew full well that my better half had been tested positive. The lightning test had not intercepted it, so he had to, despite his obvious symptoms, take one more test to find out that he was COVID-19 positive. The day before, Tonny, due to his symptoms, chose to drive up to the cottage in isolation and leave me inside the city. As the day goes on the 22nd, I slowly get worse and worse. I freeze, get severe headaches and start coughing. I get up at. 6.00 on the 23rd and will be tested 07.15. out at the airport. It's hard to drag yourself out there, but there's no way around it. On the way back I am being drained of energy. I will receive a test answer on 24.12. in the morning that I am positive. Then we can happily hold Christmas together. I have severe headache, fever and cough insistently. Tonny picks me up in the afternoon and we have a very simple Christmas Eve with a few herring snacks. There is no more energy. Hunger is also kept to a minimum while headaches, coughs and fevers increase. I measure between 39.5-39.9 in fever for 7 days until 31.12. I cough violently, have no hunger and lie apathetically in bed or on the couch. It's a creepy and distant feeling that someone has taken the batteries out of me. I want nothing. I do not bother to communicate. I only want to feel better, but I do not see the light. We call 1813 several times, but we are told that the symptoms are not unknown to COVID-19 affected individuals. It should be noted that we are not offered short conversations when we call in and seek help. The nurses ask a lot about the symptoms, but it is as if the fever level combined with the cough does not really matter that much. On 31.12. in the evening, however, it becomes too much. Tonny has done everything he can to create New Year's Eve mood. I get the man up to eat three pieces of sushi, but sit all evening just on the couch, coughing and staring into nothingness. At midnight we call 1813 again. The nurse in 1813 listens to our story, and she thinks there is reason to send me to Hillerød Hospital the next day, in fact as the first thing in the morning, to let me be assessed. It is a long night bathed in sweat and with difficulty breathing. On January 1, it is freezing cold outside, and the car trip up to Hillerød feels ugly and almost impossible to live with. I come in for assessment at 9.00. Most symptoms are known to the doctor. The strength of the lungs is down, and therefore we are asked to go to the emergency clinic for an assessment more. at 10 I am hospitalized. Tonny must not see me and we will not say goodbye. He's sitting in the car out in the parking lot. I am admitted to an isolation room at the emergency department, where no one but staff is allowed to come. We agree that Tonny is driving home and that from here he is informing my aging parents in a gentle way. They will no doubt get scared and very upset, so it's just about alleviating their worries and talking the hospital down without lying. Tonny does this not just this day, but all week. I am greeted by a responsible nurse, Kim, who is in charge of my preliminary hospitalization. Kim is amazing and explains everything so kindly and understandingly. He says "We should probably get it all under control". Those are just the nicest words he can say to me at all. All I know at that moment is that they will at least keep me for 8 hours for tests and observation. The staff and the department are really under pressure. On January 1, they are four staff to make the emergency room run and us in the isolation rooms to feel comfortable. You can feel and hear from the staff that they are busy, but they are friendly. They come regularly and take a lot of samples of everything - and some of them are not for the faint of heart. But no matter how uncomfortable the tests are, the emotions are completely out on the clothes, and I take it upon myself to shout with relief and gratitude that I have landed where I am, because I feel that I am in the very best hands . In the afternoon I am told that I will not be discharged, but in return will be transferred to the infection medical department, as my numbers are not good. I'm being driven up to a foursome room. It is very quiet when we do not all cough in shifts and otherwise lie in our own world. No one is hungry, but we are encouraged to consume just a little in liquid form, and we succeed in overcoming nausea and lack of hunger with energy and protein drinks. All staff entering the living room must wear protective clothing from head to toe, and they must not go in and out of the same door. They walk in the door to the living room from the hallway, but walk out of the living room on a swallow walk and so on from there to what they are supposed to. They need to get all their clothes off and splash off when they come out of our living room. One must select a relative who must come to visit. The relative only gains access to the living room by wearing the same protective suit as the staff and following the same rules. Of course I choose Tonny. We are tested for blood pressure and oxygen level 6-8 times a day. I get blood-thinning injections and in addition antibiotics and a little adrenal cortex hormone. There is really control over all of us even though we are getting different treatments. The staff is busy; they are really pressured, but as in the emergency room, they are just so good and so professional. We are small 100 hospitalized COVID-19 patients of all ages in the week I am lying there. No two patients feel the same way, and no two can be treated the same way. There is nothing "common" about the disease. The virus behaves very arbitrarily from patient to patient. As the days go by I get better. I can feel that I cough less, the fever disappears and the hunger increases. I am still very, very tired and sleep most of the day only interrupted to check in and cater. My numbers are not good, but fortunately they are moving in the right direction. The medication is adjusted. On January 7, after going home, I will be discharged. A week has passed and I have no idea where the time went. It has felt immensely unreal, and immeasurably safe. On the way home from the hospital, we drive past my parents, who are standing outside the car and waving. They are very happy and have named Tonny the hero of the year. There are some who believe Corona does not exist and is just a stunt about abuse of power. To that I can only say; it's arrogant and insane. The people who deny the realities should have tried to be in my body. COVID-19 is not just a common flu. It's much worse for some of us. For me, it was so bad that the zest for life was completely gone on New Year's Eve. There is a reason why we are encouraged to distance and hygiene. We must continue to do so no matter how boring it is, but we must do it to protect ourselves and each other. Fortunately, many people experience only a few and mild symptoms. I experienced the opposite. I do not want anyone to go through my course. A healthcare system on its knees. You hear this regularly, and a lot of people shrug their shoulders when the numbers of inpatients are reported in the media. The media can make it sound like the whole thing is a bit over-geared. This is not the case when you are hospitalized. No staff complain, but if you ask them, you hear how the working conditions are. Everything and everyone is called in. All professional groups help where they can. It is quite impressive how strong commitment there is in their job. I am filled with the utmost respect for those who cared for me at all hours of the day. They did everything they could to take care of us, and all the time to make sure we were well. They deserve a great and official recognition for their deeds and perseverance! ❤️

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

That really does sound bad Paul. It is very strange how this thing affects people in different ways, I am very lucky and am well aware of that.

I am also lucky that I am being watched like a hawk at home, and well looked after.

It’s so terrible but ended up so positive too. He has no lasting effects as it is right now either, no loss of smell etc.

Well good to hear with you Craig, keep safe. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Craig. Just been checking up on your progress, and it's looking fantastic by the way, to read you are unwell with the virus. I'm sorry it's caught up with you. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon. Take care.

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Just been checking up on your progress, and it's looking fantastic by the way, to read you are unwell with the virus. I'm sorry it's caught up with you. Hopefully you will start to feel better soon. Take care.

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thanks mate, kind of you to say so. 

It will pass and I will be back up to speed very soon. 

• Like 1

Goodness me Craig, Have not been by your build for a couple of days and just catching up on the news. Take care and best wishes. Good friend of mine went through it as a "young" 40 year old. Certainly was tough on him including hospitalisation. He is fully back up to steam now. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Sorry to hear your news Craig, hope all is well soon.

13 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Goodness me Craig, Have not been by your build for a couple of days and just catching up on the news. Take care and best wishes. Good friend of mine went through it as a "young" 40 year old. Certainly was tough on him including hospitalisation. He is fully back up to steam now. 

Ray

Thanks Jabba and Ray.

Don't seem to be getting any better or worse at the minute, which can't be too bad a thing. I am very lucky compared to a lot of people.

Even managed a little modelling yesterday, sat in one place painting the interior of my Hind for the Gulf War GB was about as much as I could manage energy wise.

• Sad 1

This afternoon I had decent enough light and enough energy to get some pictures done of the finished Phantom, they're not perfect due to some shadows but they do the job.

I have really enjoyed this GB, which I hadn't planned on joining, and must thank @Col. for coming up with the idea in the first place and for doing such a great job of hosting it, really a top effort mate.👍

Anyway without further ado here are some pics of the finished thing, I shall stick some in the gallery too.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Hello Craig,

Well done  on your Phantom, my apologies for not keeping up with its progress. Also my apologies for not realizing you were ill until now. I send all the best wishes and prayers your way. I know what youre going through I had this last February and was laid up for weeks. 

• Thanks 1

Phantastic result Craig :goodjob:

Thank you for participating in our GB and for all the encouragement I've seen you give to others while working on your own project - it's this spirt which makes GBs worthwhile and fun.

Hopefully your health is continuing to improve. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing fella.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Craig, Phabulous. Very different looking Rhino, lovely subtle weathering.  Good to hear you’ve now enough energy to do some kit bashing. 

Stay safe

Chris

Thanks Chris, thats very much appreciated.

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Craig,

Well done  on your Phantom, my apologies for not keeping up with its progress. Also my apologies for not realizing you were ill until now. I send all the best wishes and prayers your way. I know what youre going through I had this last February and was laid up for weeks. 

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate your thoughts and that you like the Phantom. I seem to have turned a corner and am feeling a lot better this morning, still tired but breathing is much more easy.

6 minutes ago, Col. said:

Phantastic result Craig :goodjob:

Thank you for participating in our GB and for all the encouragement I've seen you give to others while working on your own project - it's this spirt which makes GBs worthwhile and fun.

Hopefully your health is continuing to improve. Keep in touch and let us know how you're doing fella.

Thanks Col, I have really enjoyed this GB and GB's on the whole. After stumbling onto them just after signing up I haven't left and its where I like spending my time on BM. I love the help, support and encouragement that happens here, there is never anything negative or nit-picking just help and support, if only society in general had this spirit.

• Like 4

Hi Craig. Wishing you all the best on your recovery and I’m relieved to read that you haven’t suffered too badly.

The Phantom looks amazing. Brilliant work! I must say that it does look a much more interesting aircraft than its successor in the 57th FIS. Pretty sure my attempt to build that successor in this GB isn’t going to happen now to compare them though.

Look after yourself.

Phil

• Thanks 1