McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom, 57th FIS, USAF, Iceland.

modelling minion

Small update on the cockpit painting so far.

I started off by painting everything black and then found some dark gull grey in a boxed set of USAF paints that I forgot I had and have basically built up the colour by repeated dry-brushing until I was happy with the effect, since then I have given the panels with switches and the instrument boxes a dry-brush with aluminium to bring out the details and picked out the hoses in a green colour, this is how it looks st the minute;

spacer.png

The seats were also painted black and are part way through the painting and detailing stage;

spacer.png

Still a fair amount to do in the cockpit area.

Thanks for looking and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 9

Fine start craig Like it ! ,I've  got this very kit with some  bits and bobs, also an academy f4-c not being up my phantom mks is one of mine approriate for a lakenheath version craig?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hewy said:

Fine start craig Like it ! ,I've  got this very kit with some  bits and bobs, also an academy f4-c not being up my phantom mks is one of mine approriate for a lakenheath version craig?

@Hewy the 48th TFW had F-4D. Better people than I will tell you if the differences are significant. 

Chris

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

@Hewy the 48th TFW had F-4D. Better people than I will tell you if the differences are significant. 

Chris

Thanks chris 👍 , i bought  the lakenheath  decals on a whim at a show a while ago,  and was browsing the box's contents only a couple of weeks ago ,I'm moving it up the list now Craig's gonna lead way 🤗

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Thanks Glynn, I would like to see what you can do with a Phantom, especially with extra goodies.This is a good kit but really does need an upgrade in the cockpit, and instructions that actually show you how to make it with the correct features.

You can use your Lakenheath decals on the F-4C kit, as Chris rightly says the 48th TFW flew F-4D's which can be made from an F-4C kit, the Academy kit might even have the bits in it you need which is basically the little pod under the radome, the D's was slightly bigger than the C's

7 hours ago, At Sea said:

Love the 'pit.  Nice work indeed.

Far too kind, still got ways to go yet.

• Thanks 1

Thats great news craig, 👍I'll  drop the decals in the academy box,

will a hellenic version be appropriate for this one your building? I'm  exposing my complete no knowlege of phantom types here 🤫

• Like 1

Thats a relief,it will most certainly be a rough example, a quick look in the box reveals,  canopy masks ,resin wheel wells, ejection seats, and pe for the pit, i can't  remember buying all of this , I'm  going to have to learn how to do a spread sheet, where's mrs hewy?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thats a relief,it will most certainly be a rough example, a quick look in the box reveals,  canopy masks ,resin wheel wells, ejection seats, and pe for the pit, i can't  remember buying all of this , I'm  going to have to learn how to do a spread sheet, where's mrs hewy?

Sounds like a good selection of bits mate, the seats are a must. Now we come to the decision about which scheme your heavily weathered Greek bird will be in, I have to admit to having a soft spot the Aegean blue scheme, it may be simpler than the other schemes but it is unusual and shows weathering nicely.

• Thanks 1

Cheers craig, i just wish i could for the life of me i could remember buying them ,🤯 ..the plain blue (agean blue) weathered is awsome, as is the aegean ghost, very weathered .

Decisions,decisions 

• Like 1

it's amazing what & who you'll find wandering around the threads! :D  You can't get rid of me now!

I like your choice, I have their RF-4E version (with lots of extras or course), but it'll be interesting to see how it builds up.

good luck with her....nd do you have any other AM stuff for her?

On 11/27/2020 at 1:47 AM, Col. said:

Top subject choice Craig and your mention of the JASDF option is poignantly timed given their Phantom fleet is being retired at the moment.

.....and Zoukei-Mura have a special F-4EJ available for pre-release in special final flight markings!!!  It'll be criminal not to buy one!!! @helios16v and I both have our orders in! :D

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 12:30 PM, Hewy said:

Spreadsheets?  You know you want to.  One of us.  One of us.  One of us. :penguin:

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

it's amazing what & who you'll find wandering around the threads! :D  You can't get rid of me now!

I like your choice, I have their RF-4E version (with lots of extras or course), but it'll be interesting to see how it builds up.

good luck with her....nd do you have any other AM stuff for her?

.....and Zoukei-Mura have a special F-4EJ available for pre-release in special final flight markings!!!  It'll be criminal not to buy one!!! @helios16v and I both have our orders in! :D

Oh good, you've found my build, I'm soooo happy. :) 

I've got an RF-4EJ (or two) in the stash too, and might built one for the unarmed GB if I get time. I have got a set of resin exhausts and wheel wells, no way I will use the wheel wells as its far too much hard work for a part of the model that will never be seen.

I've seen the Zoukie-Mura kit but it's an F-4EJ Kai and I prefer the colours worn by the earlier pre-mod aircraft, and I really don't like the retirement scheme.

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Cheers Chris, there's a Phantom STGB next year so that will be the perfect excuse to build one. I will probably be joining in myself.

I might too, now you've  piqued my interest, (you probably know the scheme) in fact the resin bits i haven't  got are now ordered from H,  👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hewy said:

H , soz pal, mrs hewy works out  my itinerary🙈

Aye, quite right, anything for a quiet life ;) Best to just do as we're told most of the time.

• Haha 3