McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom, 57th FIS, USAF, Iceland.

modelling minion

Well there seemed to be something missing from the line up of this very impressive and very diverse GB, there's no Phantom's!! Can't have that in an Interceptors GB now can we, especially as she was first introduced into service as an interceptor for the US Navy. I won't be building a US Navy one though as I shall be building an F-4E. My choice is to build a USAF one from the 57th FIS based in Iceland in the ADC grey scheme.

On to the kit itself. I shall be building the Hasegawa 1/48 kit which whilst not the newest or best around is still a good kit and I actually have one (okay maybe more than one!) in the stash so decision made. Here are a the obligatory box and contents shots proving that she hasn't been started;

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have some extras in the stash so will have a look to see what I can or want to use on this build, I think I have some resin seats at least.

So there you have it, this will be my entry. Thanks for looking in, I hope to be able to make a start very soon.

Craig.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 14

“My choices are between either a USAF one from the 57th FIS based in Iceland in the ADC grey scheme or a JASDF one possibly in one of the temporary ACM schemes worn during the 1980's.”

Craig, you could do the 57 FIS ‘toon which flew with wings folded?

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Top subject choice Craig and your mention of the JASDF option is poignantly timed given their Phantom fleet is being retired at the moment.

Cheers Col, yes unfortunately the last of the JASDF F-4EJ's are on their way, but I believe that the RF-4EJ's get to stay for another year.

14 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Awesome craig who doesn’t love a Phantom.

Is this hasegawa kit the raised or recessed panel line boxing?

Thanks Paul, I don't know of any normal people that don't like the Phantom.😄

This one has recessed panel lines mate, all of their gun nosed ones do I believe.

17 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Awesome craig who doesn’t love a Phantom.

Is this hasegawa kit the raised or recessed panel line boxing?

Their 1/48 series started having recessed panel lines from the long nosed versions, i.e. E, EJ, F and G. All short nosed ones had raised panel lines initially, but a re-tooling of the F-4J or S led to all newer F-4J/S having recessed panel lines. The B/N and C/D retained their raised panel lines though.

Jens

• Like 1

Looking at the plastic in this boxing it comes with the later slatted wing which is correct for the 57th FIS example but no use for the JASDF F-4EJ as these had the older type hard wing. As I said though I do have some other boxings which have the hard wing included so could do a swap if I decided to go down that route, more thought required!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking at the plastic in this boxing it comes with the later slatted wing which is correct for the 57th FIS example but no use for the JASDF F-4EJ as these had the older type hard wing. As I said though I do have some other boxings which have the hard wing included so could do a swap if I decided to go down that route, more thought required!

Do you have any decal options in stock or looking for available aftermarket? That may help lead your decision depending on what you find.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Col. said:

Do you have any decal options in stock or looking for available aftermarket? That may help lead your decision depending on what you find.

I've got markings for both Col! I have been accused of having too many decals, and models too, difficult to believe isn't it!

I have made my choice though and have gone with the USAF option, partly because it will be an easier scheme than the JASDF ones I was looking at and I would like to get this over the line before other GB's kick in in January. We also have a 57th FIS F-15 in the GB too so it will make a nice comparison.

• Like 1

• modelling minion changed the title to McDonnell Douglas F-4E Phantom, 57th FIS, USAF, Iceland.
12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I've got markings for both Col! I have been accused of having too many decals, and models too, difficult to believe isn't it!

Whomever said so is clearly not a modeller Craig and therefore cannot comment on the subject! ;) 

13 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I have made my choice though and have gone with the USAF option, partly because it will be an easier scheme than the JASDF ones I was looking at and I would like to get this over the line before other GB's kick in in January. We also have a 57th FIS F-15 in the GB too so it will make a nice comparison.

A classy scheme with plenty visual interest. Nice choice B) Hopefully we'll see a colourful JASDF bird from you sometime in the future :) 

• Like 1

Had a root around the resin stash and found a Black Box cockpit, result! The detailing is in a different league to what Hasegawa provide you in the kit and will require some good painting to show it to it's best. Below are a couple of pics of what you get for the cockpit tub and seat and sidewall details;

spacer.png

spacer.png

One slight problem, I don't have any Dark Gull Grey to paint it with! Oh well the model shops re-open next week.

In the meantime I have made a start on the rest of the kit and whilst the fit of the parts so far has been good the instructions do miss out some vital information, unless you want your Phantom to be a UASF/USN hybrid. Starting on the upper wings there are plates which were added to bolster the strength on the wing above the undercarriage due to the extra strain of carrier operations, its not mentioned in the instructions but these need to be removed, which I have done. They were where the red area is in the picture below;

spacer.png

The little bits of filler are because I went a bit too deep, doh!

Its not just above the wings that need work either. The undersides have parts relevant for the catapulting of the aircraft from carriers so again these need removing and the areas where they were are marked in red on the picture below, the areas in blue are where inserts have to be added to the wing, again not even mentioned in the instructions there are 2 types of insert but for a USAF bird you need the flat ones the same as I have fitted here;

spacer.png

The intakes have been fitted on both sides and the fit is very good, but on the port side of the nose there were 3 small aerials which are not relevant for my aircraft, where they were is again ringed in red on the picture below;

spacer.png

You can see that the intake is a very nice fit.

That is how she stands at the minute, my next job will be to start removing plastic from the fuselage so that I can get the cockpit to fit. I can also get the wing halves joined together and make a start on the fuel tanks and missiles, I'm not sure if the 57th flew with centre tanks regularly so if anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Col. said:

Nice start Craig. That cockpit is an impressive upgrade but your work on the corrections and fitting the intakes is exemplary :goodjob:

Thanks Col, far too kind mate, plenty of work to do yet!

25 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Great choice Craig,I've just picked up a boxing of Revell's big 1/32 kit hopefully it will fit in with one of next year's GB's!

Cheers Steve, she's a big model in 1/48, don't think I have the room fro a 1/32 one! If I remember right there's a Phantom STGB next year, that would be a good place to build the beast.

• Like 2

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Looks like an interesting project in prospect. Looking forward to seeing what you do with that rather lovely cockpit resin. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Looks like an interesting project in prospect. Looking forward to seeing what you do with that rather lovely cockpit resin. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, doing some work on the cockpit but its a bit slow, my fault not the cockpits.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 21:25, modelling minion said:

I know that feeling Craig, good to see one of these getting built, I have the kit in the Phantom stash and keep looking to do it next but something else crops up instead.  The 57th FIS did fly with all three external fuel tanks along with the usual air defence missile load.  The instructions not reflecting the de-navalisation of the kit parts were on a small afterthought sheet in my kit, I use a 2mm micro chisel to remove the raised wing bumps, they are far too big even for navy Phantoms.  Good luck with your build, I will be looking in and offering advice if requested. :winkgrin:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, At Sea said:

Super work on the intakes!  

Thanks.👍

6 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I know that feeling Craig, good to see one of these getting built, I have the kit in the Phantom stash and keep looking to do it next but something else crops up instead.  The 57th FIS did fly with all three external fuel tanks along with the usual air defence missile load.  The instructions not reflecting the de-navalisation of the kit parts were on a small afterthought sheet in my kit, I use a 2mm micro chisel to remove the raised wing bumps, they are far too big even for navy Phantoms.  Good luck with your build, I will be looking in and offering advice if requested. :winkgrin:

Thanks Bob, any advice will be gratefully received. I didn't get an extra sheet in my box and to be honest I think its something that should be on the main instructions rather than an extra sheet.

I can manage 3 tanks, I thought they might carry all 3 bags what with the amount of area they had to cover and a very real need to avoid going for a swim through lack of fuel.

• Haha 2