80479 - SE.313 Alouette II, 1/48 (or 1/50) - +++Finished+++

Bjorn

I placeholder for my next one... I think I have to finish a few of the Saabs first, before starting this one. And here it is @JeroenS ;)

50647475266_6fd8eb3c21_c.jpg

However, this has a connection to Saab - 7 of the 11 Alouette II in Swedish Service was assembled by Saab. But I will build one of the first delivered, France-Built, with decals left over from another Swedish Alouette build. Then, I built an Swedish Air Force one:

Hkp2001.jpg

But this one will be an early example from the Swedish Marines, but the early one without the bulge on the nose (you can see it on the two examples to the right below):

502-Hkp2-105-108-4gr-Marinen-LLC-700x534

A note about the kit is that although Scalemates claims that it is a new tool from 1989, it is actually based on the SA.315 Lama, released in 1967. It has a new sprue with the longer Alouette II tail (to the right), and the Lama parts are cut away fom the sprues (that's the explanation to all the "holes" in the sprues.)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 6

As always, instead of finishing my other builds, I started a new one. So let's get started! This is a nice little kit, the only main problem is the tail that is too crude. You could choose the easy way to just build it OOB, glueing 3 parts togerher. Or you could try to scratch-build it instead. Tried several times to avoid the latter alternative, but suddenly I sat at a candle stretching sprues... It was a little tricky, but easier than I thougt, taking about three hours of work. I used the kit part for the covered part that the tail is attached to, ther rest (also the roof) is scratch-built:

50667484947_e505f3e92c_c.jpg

Next was to assemble the "body". A little easier. I added some details to the tank and drilled the outer parts of the landing skids.

50667406946_6215a4c1f0_c.jpg

This might become my lightest build ever compared to size, So far, the total weight is 4 grams! 

Btw, the fact that this is based on the old Lama is now corrected on Scalemates, https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-80479-se-313-alouette-ii--146817

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Work on the little lark continues... First a coat of black primer, that also serves as black base for the green that will follow. I also added new scratch-built position lights:

spacer.png

Interior with some extra detailing on the instrument panel, seatbelts and a fire extinguisher:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step was the canopy. Two parts that should be glued together. Luckily, fit was acceptable. Masking was perhaps not the easiest one I've made. 

spacer.png

• Like 6

Build goes on... Painting wasn't too difficult. :) Next step was to install the engine, which is pretty simplified in the kit - the 1960s origin is rather obvious here. So I added numerous cables and other details. Not too many though, since this will be an early version, and the number of details here seemed to increase during the years in service. The outlets (?) on the sides had to be re-shaped since they were not correct for this version. More sprue was also used to replace too thick kit parts. This was really fun!

50805584883_7c76859f2b_c.jpg

50806444702_045deba7bd_c.jpg

And the bonus? Well, this GB gave me inspiration to re-start a build from last year that was too finished (build was finished, next step was painting) to be a part of the GB. So although it is off-topic, it maybe could be of interest since the subject is a golden Heller oldie! I started painting it with layers and layers of white. Next step is to paint the grey and aluminium parts. And look for a space large enough to place it...

50806360106_174fb736aa_c.jpg

And for those of you that may wonder about the number of models that I am building right now: Yes, I have a life, with family, house and job. Although it may not look like that... :D 

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7

• Bjorn changed the title to 80479 - SE.313 Alouette II, 1/48 (or 1/50) - now with (off-topic) bonus

That Helicopter looks like it was made out of photoetch. Very tidy work indeed.

The big jet is a nice bonus for the thread, and about as different from the helicopter as you can get! What's the final scheme for it? Please say BOAC...

Tony.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyW said:

What's the final scheme for it? Please say BOAC...

Tony.

I'm afraid that "Lufthansa" isn't the desired answer to that question...

I did consider BOAC, but the only 1/72 decals I could find was for another version with different engines. Heller have a BOAC boxing, but I doubt that those decals are good enough, especially the nose part.

Speaking of decals, here is the Alouette with them (from Moose Republic Decals). I discovered that I had scratch-built the wrong type of position lights. This one had the original ones, so I had to go back and scratch new ones. I also discovered that one rib on the tail had fallen off. You can try to find it on the pictures above... :D Replacing it was not the hardest thing.

50807593586_3bf800af31_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Final touches: Matt varnish plus some more cable, hoses and other details to the engines. This is true fun!

50857898348_e9822e5563_c.jpg

I also added the thin cable on the boom using Uschi van der Rosten's rigging thread:

50858613501_2a5310c66e_c.jpg

The final step was to add the rotor. I bent the blades to get the true drooped feeling and added the small cables in the middle, forming a triangular shape. And here it is - my number eight! :) 

50822319681_1d7a4f868d_c.jpg

Comparing to the original kit, scratching the tail boom and replacing many other of the thin parts, was not just fun, but also worth the effort:

Hkp2001.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 8

• Bjorn changed the title to 80479 - SE.313 Alouette II, 1/48 (or 1/50) - +++Finished+++
3 hours ago, Bjorn said:

Comparing to the original kit, scratching the tail boom and replacing many other of the thin parts, was not just fun, but also worth the effort:

Definitely, Bjorn. She’s a beauty!

Martin

• Thanks 1