70s F1 Restoration Shop 1/20 scale

Hi Stickframe,

:clap2:

I must apologise for not having had a look at what you've been doing from the start. It's my own loss. And I am literally lost for words.

This is an incredible display of engineering, and artistry.

I, for one, can forgive you the cock-up with the roll-up doors. I've lost count of how many 'alterations' I've had to make to my current building and it's nowhere near as complicated as yours! I'm also amazed at how quickly you've progressed.

The only small piece of comfort I can take from this is that you're working in 1/20th scale. If this were 1/35th I would genuinely bin my 2 dioramas, even before they are finished. lol.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

Hello gents - 

Here we are, Monday.  I made a quick run outside to prime more odds and ends for around the shop - more clutter. 

@Jo NZ, I thought about a comment you made a while ago about what would be seen in the scrap heap.  So, back to the old sprue pile, and making up some more remnant suspension parts!  and, thanks! glad you like that pic - more on it in a minute.

@Pete in Lincs, yes, we seem to be on the same page, including the important note that you make (with my changing to a collective statement): "at this point in our respective experiences".    I only highlight this because I agree with you, and highlight that it's certainly not a prescriptive comment - just a statement about individual levels of interest and focus - that is, anyone, building what and how they wish, is the right way!  OK! whew - feel better now, and back to the scrap heap!   

Quite a coincidence, you mention your experience in the KSA.  It turns out I have spent a lot of time there too, never living there, but flying in and out - at sometimes ridiculous frequency, for years and years.  I mention this because to some extent this travel and the resultant weird cross between jet lag and perpetual exhaustion for several years, led me to model building!!  I was at work all day, or travelling for work, and awake/on the phone all night!!  😁🤨😴 - what a mess I was!!  I needed a clear distraction from work, and sort of bumbled into model building!  The more tedious the project the better, just a way to not think about work - 😁 and now, something I really like to do.

@Badder, Thanks very much for the words!  I appreciate them.    Yes - the roll-up doors and on and on, are among the many fun surprises and headaches that we dio builders enjoy so much!  😁 .  From here on in this reply I'm treading carefully and not trying to be a wise guy, or disrespectful.  I have to say, the interior shop office/kitchen reference desk images are from two 1/35 builds, that took forever to build!.  I only bring this up because, like you, I've tackled a few 1/35 projects - and know they are not easy! and can take lots and lots of time to finish!  So, it's only in that context that I bring this up ✌️😁   How folks take on smaller scale is beyond me!  I already keep the optivsor strapped to my head for the whole build, no matter the scale!    

The only reason this project is 1/20 🤔 is because of the race cars.  As far as I have gathered, 1/20 is not a very common dio scale!   I'm cooking up the next project, and it will be 1/35! and I will try and stick with items in the stash, not buying any new stuff - use only what I have here!! .....except for glue, paint, maybe some materials - just not new kits or accessories!!  😠  😁

As for next steps, I'll paint up the parts I've primed - @bar side - I'm not sure I can get decals on the windows - I found out my "giant" hand/arm/tweezers are not as versatile or precise as is required to do this task at this point - just too late....

And - once the various new parts are added, I'll get on with roof framing!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 4

Hello dio builders,

Well, today is the last time we'll see the floor without a roof -  figured might as well show some of this from the top:

51202316532_9b2e8c3a64_b.jpg

51204100790_63d637d612_b.jpg

51202316502_af9f4f3b2b_b.jpg

51202316512_90bb5ba903_b.jpg

51204100765_9e96a5da56_b.jpg

51203238278_d2a71a7fe0_b.jpg

51203808639_7894214579_b.jpg

51203808614_30f4b6ecf4_b.jpg

If you look carefully you'll see I added another layer of odds and ends.

Now - it's on to framing the roof!  First up will be gluing the front wall on, which of course will include the big ridge beam.  Like a dummy, I did not leave a notch on top of it's mounting position, so I could slide the beam in once the wall is in place, so the two will go in at the same time.  Not all that hard to do, but would be easier with a third hand!

Take care

Nick

• Like 9

Looking excellent - better each time.  It’s almost a shame to loose that view.  No chance of a skylight to get pictures through once the roof is on?  Keep up the good work

• Like 1

All looks just about right Nick 👍

I was also wondering about skylights...you did mention that idea yourself a while back.

A roof would surely mean some lighting...wouldn't it? 🤔

Ron :)

• Like 1

Hello Dio builders,

@Toftdale thanks! and thanks for dropping a note!

@bar side and @silver911, you guys are on top of my challenges list! Yes - figuring out how to cover and not cover this project - both.

On we go.  Sorry these pictures are a bit grainy.  I ganged them together and took screen shots, but they illustrate the point:

51204561077_6d8ec6f3cc_b.jpg

Yes! it's too late to back out now!  the roof framing is on - and, as predicted, you can still clearly see out of the roof....and, like predicted, not ideal.  So, carefully begin adding roofing material:

51206343530_581aac7799_b.jpg

I added cardstock along some key edges - in the pics above, not glued in place.  But, it basically does what I want.  The pic on the right doesn't really count, as I aimed the camera up to see the roof opening.  I felt good enough about this that I decided to take it outside for some "real" light - the sun that is!!  

51205484018_627d06fa03_b.jpg

At first glance, you might think:  This is a complete disaster!!  Not to worry tho, it's not.  This is with the sun directly in the back of the building, whereas below:

51205484013_e1d4397f1c_h.jpg%5B

51205483993_cbdc821419_h.jpg

Not bad at all, maybe even too bright??  I am now wondering about adding some semi-clear, or fogged plastic to defuse the light a bit?  Not sure just yet - I might not worry about it!  And, while outside:

51206044559_7a907a9a83_h.jpg

So, we are getting closer.  I'll add my small sign to the outside wall, install the fence, and add various little bits and pieces, but, almost....DONE!

Thanks for having a look

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 8

On 5/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, Stickframe said:

From here on in this reply I'm treading carefully and not trying to be a wise guy, or disrespectful.  I have to say, the interior shop office/kitchen reference desk images are from two 1/35 builds, that took forever to build!.  I only bring this up because, like you, I've tackled a few 1/35 projects - and know they are not easy! and can take lots and lots of time to finish!  So, it's only in that context that I bring this up ✌️😁   How folks take on smaller scale is beyond me!  I already keep the optivsor strapped to my head for the whole build, no matter the scale!    

Hi Nick,

No need to 'tread wary' with me. You can say whatever the heck you like lol. I welcome savage criticism, but as far as I can recall I've only ever received the odd 'polite suggestion'.  I guess that unless we make a list of those who like savage criticism and memorise it, it's best to play safe and be polite to everyone. lol

But that's by-the-by because, try as I mightm I can't find anything in your dio to 'rip into' lol.

As for 'smaller scales', 1/35th is my limit for AFV military models. I started out on the hobby in about 1978/9 with Tamiya Military Miniatures and that's always been my preferred area of work. I have NOT been tempted by their 1/48th scale at all. I did once build their Prince of Wales 1/350th, but ruined that when it came to painting it.  I had a 2nd hand Aztec airbrush which just wasn't up to the job and it ended up in the bin. I did once build Tamiya's Schumacher Ferrari F2001, (being a huge Schumacher fan) added engine wiring harness, etc and had it painted/decalled-up beautifully, and absolutely loved building that. Unfortunately, I kept the separate assemblies in a box as I was going through a messy divorce, moving home several times and in the process it was lost. Grrrrrr!

So, with my interest in F1 and motor-racing-in-general harking back to the days of Hunt, Lauda, Andretti, Cheever, I was bound to come see your work at some point! Ah! Yes, one criticism then! I'd love to see your cars on plinths rather than in dios! lol. Really, just joking. Amazing work.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Hi model builders, 

I'm pleased to report this project is done, and now, found it's way to the ready for inspection section - - please take a look if you'd like:

Cheers and thanks for making the build better with your participation!

Nick 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...