70s F1 Restoration Shop 1/20 scale

You  already know my feelings from your other thread Nick...but...I will say it again...superb dedication and work...has real depth and atmosphere...stunning attention to detail and realism.

Ron

• Thanks 1

Hello model builders, 

Time for a brief update -

@Kitkent, hi Chris, thanks!  glad to see you sticking through this off-beat project!  My neighborhood is an interesting place - it was an industrial area, part of a very small City, surrounded by bigger places.  Over the last 20 years big corporations have built bio and medical labs, Pixar, a train station, and less than 10,000 residents.  In the last 12 or so years, lots of town houses have been built, and with more neighbors, have come parks, trails, trees and so on.  As it's a small place, it's an easy walk to neighborhood places - bars, parks, and tired out old buildings!

@Jo NZ, well, you got me thinking....please see below.  Thanks!

@Pete in Lincs, howdy Pete, thanks!  I enjoy adding those details!  Always a new challenge, but once you start, have to keep going!

@bar side, great! glad you like all those leaves!  Nope, I didn't make them, I think they are dried birch tree seeds, and don't think they are limited to any scale!  I had a little bag of them for years in the stash - figured now was a good time to try them out.  You'll see more as this moves along.

@silver911, Hi Ron, thanks for dropping by!  I finally concluded it made sense to set up two posts for this build, this one for things like buildings and leaves!  The other you know in the Auto section, where I'll eventually skip back to as a couple more cars come into play ( @bar side  taking a cue from your playbook! more vehicles).  

@Svedberg, thanks for taking a minute to leave a note! 

OK, back to @Jo NZ, well, as I mentioned, you made me think - hmm - a monocoque.  Well, that is an interesting idea.  Thinking about it, as this project has a fair amount of detail, the out of the box, kit part could be adapted and detailed, or, I could try and make one out of sheet aluminum.   Of course this would be done with no shop drawings, real auto experience and a collection of hand tools - pin vice, knife, files, pliers etc.  Here we go:

50849985818_249d541040_c.jpg

50849985703_281d5d52af_b.jpg

BTW, the small yellow sheet to the right is the template used to make the front cowl - it's three or four sheets of Tamiya yellow tape stuck together - then, overlaid on the kit part and traced - you can see many drill holes (SMALL!! for rivets - using a #78 bit).  

50850707916_d2c97a4946_h.jpg

Above is the prototype.  I looked a lots of photos and scaled this kit directly.  The hull and a few ribs are .032", the rest is .016" aluminum sheet, and some lead foil here and there.  This was quite an interesting and challenging task.  While very thin, and easily bent, aluminum is not that easy to shape/cut curves - particularly the inner curves!   I show more process photos in the auto section.  I'm confident that there are numerous errors in my attempt, but it looks about right, which is a-ok for what I'm using it for.  And here's how it's turned out, pre weathering and painting rivets and the black section in the front:

50850800297_8058634b7c_h.jpg

The bulkhead/fuel cell behind the cabin - was a headache.  One piece of alu sheet, marked, cut, bent - in some areas rivets inserted, other areas showing where rivets had been drilled out.  This was tricky to layout and build, as it tapers in several directions, still sits flush on the hull, and has a big circle hole cut in the top....ugh....

50850800287_f54eb27806_b.jpg

I've got to say, I'm pleased with the outcome.  As this will eventually make it to the scrap heap next to this fence, it will provide a good subject for weathering and so forth.  Rather than placed on a fancy rack, this will be on saw horses or blocks of wood - not sure which just yet, amidst other debris.  And yes, it will receive a sprinkling of leaves!

Cheers gents, stay well, and happy model building,

Nick

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Stickframe said:

I've got to say, I'm pleased with the outcome

I'll just bet you are. It looks great. But this just occurred to me, why is it on the scrap heap? It could tell a story.

Does it need a dent in one side? Could you bring yourself to inflict damage on your pride and joy?

Or, What if it had caught fire on the track? Some blackening (from a candle flame?) at the rear perhaps?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I'll just bet you are. It looks great. But this just occurred to me, why is it on the scrap heap? It could tell a story.

Does it need a dent in one side? Could you bring yourself to inflict damage on your pride and joy?

Or, What if it had caught fire on the track? Some blackening (from a candle flame?) at the rear perhaps?

Exactly my thinking Pete :)

Ron

• Like 1

Well guys....ha, piece of cake - so, now that it's done....change it up!  hmmm, something to ponder here.  I'm not sure about denting it at this point.  I might experiment on some scrap metal to see what happens.  Believe it or not, the .032" alu sheet used for the hull is fairly strong/rigid.  A big sheet will bend/flex without much effort, but a smaller section, not quite so easily.  Looking at what I built, it seems the rear portion might be more easily bent up than the front as it doesn't have layers of internal framing/bracing - but, denting the hull, could snap the rise for the fuel cell (or other parts) off, as they're glued together with CA.  I have a pair of small, strong, bent (90 degree "nose"),  needle nose pliers that I've used for similar tasks before, but, they are prone to causing real damage - and I don't want to destroy the larger hull in the process of getting the damaged look.

As for burning, or really, getting some burn marks on it, that might work - I've never tried - but could look interesting.  On the possible disaster side, the resin rivets could burn or melt, some of the CA could do the same, maybe the aluminum might melt? I really don't know.  It might be worth trying anyway.  If the rear looks really bad when done, I could always make a scale tarp out of paper towels drenched in watered down white glue, draped over the fuel cell area, then painted?   

The never ending joys and opportunities that come from dios!  😄

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

It needs to be a bigger dent than just drilling out rivets and re-skinning - i.e. not worth rebuilding. Slightly banana shaped (catch fencing pole in the side?) would be good.

Nick, I can see why you don't want to bend it. If you hold it at an angle 2 - 3 inches above the candle flame, the fumes/smoke will leave a sooty mark.

Probably best to try on scrap first though. The effect can be seen on glass jar candle holders.

Hello @Pete in Lincs, and @silver911, Pete and Ron, 

No, I'm not going to build another version of this with massive, hull-wide damage.

I did though, inflict some damage.

The test and the tools:

50857326026_e0de211c77_c.jpg

Well, these two seem capable of inflicting damage - and leave nice tool marks on the metal.

Next - to the junk pile, for a part from the Lotus kit, which was replaced by a white metal Studio 27 part, with of course, the early stages of damage:

50856607908_810e5a2799_c.jpg

I was pleasantly surprised to see how well this part fit into my aluminum version of the monocoque!   I trimmed the smaller wedge on the left to match the contour.  And, with the damage done:

50856607893_a9a6ea23b6_b.jpg

I went into this and cut out most of the lead foil I'd glued to the inside of this edge, then bent up the top and bottom parts - and the tool marks worked out just fine!

50856607818_03cf6d2048_c.jpg

50856607878_938ae5e74f_b.jpg

50857422137_c7cec944b1_b.jpg

50857422122_efb8e034a2_b.jpg

50857325936_0a890c5920_b.jpg

I found a photo of one of these 1:1 being worked on which served as the prototype for the paint removal near the front lower control arms.  You can see a few bits added - leaves, the snapped outriggers for the lower body work, and a remnant radiator hose - and, saw horses!  Finally:

50857325926_039e201a9f_b.jpg

If you look carefully above, you'll see smashed up aluminum honeycomb on the inside of the rear firewall.  As I researched this, it turns out that by the early 70's, F1 cars were equipped with both structural alu honeycomb structures and rubber fuel cells/bladders, which were pretty tough - hence, no fire, but plenty of damage!  Seems this is how far I'll go with this!  

Cheers, and stay well

Nick

Edited by Stickframe
  • Like 6

Brilliant damage. Now it's got a reason to be there.

Next how about some engine blocks? The way that steel castings used to be de-stressed was to leave them outside to "weather". It was beneficial to the blocks to add nitrogen in a liquid form, usually by spraying them occasionally with a yellowish liquid. Something for the diorama, or am I being too obscure??🙂