832 Squadron TBF Avengers on the USS Saratoga

airjiml2

Does anyone have any suggestions for photos and other information regarding the US TBF Avengers operated by 832 Squadron off of HMS Victorious (Robin) and USS Saratoga?  I've had no luck with the USN Aviation Museum, a few authors, and this is a final hail merry pass. ( I reached out to the FAA Museum but it appears their archives are closed due to a move and COVID.)  Strikes me as odd that a FAA Squadron was operating off a US carrier and the story isn't well known and I've only seen a couple of distant photos of the Avengers. 

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by airjiml2
  • Like 1

• airjiml2 changed the title to 832 Squadron TBF Avengers on the USS Saratoga

There is information and photos of Victorious while in the Pacific in 1943 over on the Armoured Carriers website.

https://www.armouredcarriers.com/uss-robin-hms-victorious

The main ani thing about the TBFs supplied to 832 on the way to the Pacific is that they USN spec aircraft. When Victorious returned to the Atlantic on her way back to the U.K. those aircraft were swapped for British spec aircraft.

• Thanks 1

Yes, of course I have seen that.  There is a great report from 832's time on Saratoga, but I'm looking for additional images.

Jim

EwenS,

Thank you so much.  Pat Martin suggested this the other day and I borrowed a copy and you are 100% correct.  Thank you so much.  Serials are a great start.

Jim