1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW9R

At Sea

Evenin' all!

Given that I initially volunteered for this GB with the following statement "...With a stash full of interceptor types I’m going to throw my hat in with at least a Tornado F.3, a Phantom FG.1 and a Sea Harrier FRS.1..." I have now considered that in my own opinion the Phantom and the Tornado are really derivatives of Multi-role aircraft and I should really stick to pure interceptors.

So here goes with a twin delta, twin engined, twin seat all weather interceptor, the Gloster Javelin from the excellent Airfix kit.

My last on one of these was built on the ground, and the undercarrige to my eyes ruins the lines and makes it look quite frumpy.  So this time it's in flight!

23 Squadron, XH889, based at Norwich International Airport (RAF Horsham St Faith).  Interestingly this one had red air intake rings as the Wing Commander's A/C.

resized_87f71ea9-2d0f-4bf3-82c6-f8ed5ede

resized_2a8e0279-b1ff-47fb-85a9-c03ab5f4

• Like 9

Where’s the rest gone?!

resized_cd1c435e-a0fe-4fcf-9c13-bbdc5524

1/48 Hasegawa Phantom dudes posing as 1960’s RAF chaps.

I have to add some yellow for their life vests & the stripes on the ejection handles but they fit really well.

• Like 4

Not an awful lot more I can do on this now until we get some paint on it at home... 

Not putting the IFR probe or the wing tip pitots on as they'll never survive the flight home.  Will do some of the smaller vents and still to build the weapons, so that'll keep me busy.

Intake rings will be added after painting, as will the exhaust rings which will be done in Metalcote steel.

resized_de3fdc12-0a3e-4573-a3a6-908af265

What looks like a step on the port side of the canopy by the Nav's left hand is no there in real life, funny camera effect.

resized_4303a17c-357d-4871-9bed-3853bfe5

It is a combination the black paint stopping on the surround and the panel line join with glue run it.  I had to pick the model up and check as it looks horrendous here! 🙂

Happy with the pilots and the cockpit, need some yellow paint to do the stripes on the ejector handles and the life jackets of the crew.  Over the North Sea in a 50's designed jet I'd want a lifejacket too!

resized_2df15996-f24e-423a-bc29-f05b56c7

There's the 'not a step' from a better angle.

• Like 8

16 December, so home for 2 weeks over Christmas.

Plenty of time to finish this.  Plus I have another kit to assemble whilst I am here!  Thread starting soon!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, At Sea said:

16 December, so home for 2 weeks over Christmas.

Plenty of time to finish this.  Plus I have another kit to assemble whilst I am here!  Thread starting soon!!

Good man :D Delighted to hear that.

• Thanks 1

Got some yellow paint from Setchfields in Poole when we were there on Friday so got to give Wing Commander Owen & his Nav some lifejackets and some yellow stripes on their bang seats!

resized_cd57f5bf-0629-4a0c-aa23-b1480310

Now it is carefully packed in bubble wrap and a box to await repatriation whilst the Harrier continues apace!

• Like 7

I spent many years building in a hotel in Bangkok then trying to do all the painting over the weekend at home. Its quite surprising how your style of building changes and how efficient you can become at this.

Colin

Yes it's almost like re-learning how to do it!  

So much of my job is mental, very little physical outlet and the time spent quietly working away on kits is very calming.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Col. said:

...nicely captures the purple tones I always see in those colours. Which paints did you use?

Thank you.

I used Tamiya AS4 lightly dusted over halfords grey primer and Tamiya AS30.  Humbrol dark olive for the ring just aft of the radome as this separate panel is green underneath where it meets the high speed silver, so I painted it a different dark green for interest sake.

I was called back to sea a little earlier than expected so have this an the SHAR on hold for a moment, but not a bad point to break.

• Like 2

I have the Eduard Tiffie 1/48 Typhoon, which was a candidate for the ANZAC group build, but if I can't wait it can go here being a Car-Door Typhoon which was an Interceptor originally!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, At Sea said:

I have the Eduard Tiffie 1/48 Typhoon, which was a candidate for the ANZAC group build, but if I can't wait it can go here being a Car-Door Typhoon which was an Interceptor originally!

Ooh yes please do it here :pray:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello again!

After a very short leave which involved a week long course in the middle I did manage to finish the Javelin and my Sea Harrier but ran out of time to build bases, I also have to add the walkways and give it a pin wash.

I'm not home again until after the GB ends, but will post in RFI once they are displayed on my preferred home made stand of a wooden block and an acrylic rod.

In the mean time, enjoy!

resized_b0b52915-ad0d-475c-a751-498fe1f6

resized_4d750c90-1068-496b-b7f6-2149ff94

• Like 8