Siskin Details and Decals Needed

Tweener

I've just started on Matchbox's nice little Siskin IIIA, only to realize the decals aren't usable just as I approach the end of painting. Does anyone know where I could get others? I know that Sweden and Estonia also operated the type, but my understanding is that they were all 2 seaters and that the Kora 2-seat Siskin is massively inaccurate. Does anybody have photos of single seaters in service with either of those nations?

Thanks, and a happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating,

Tweener

At last count I have a little over 170 photos of RCAF Siskins, both full view and detail, although a few are probably duplicates. I would be happy to share with you or, possibly, post a few. Please let me know.

Carl                                                                   

• Like 1

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72111?result-token=A0fXF has roundels specific to the Siskin and https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VA7287?result-token=bWoaW will give fuselage serials. Finally https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MD105?result-token=mlBfo gives underwing serials leaving just squadron markings to be found / painted.

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

If you find decals, the RCAF Siskins were not heavily marked.

40871061060_659ca04e90_b.jpg

Chris

I was thinking of doing #303 and just not painting the Green patch, as it's too late in the build to do most of it. I could foreseeably get some of the roundels from a Matchbox Fury, and already have some of the numbers locked down in the stash. We'll see.

16 hours ago, rossm said:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72111?result-token=A0fXF has roundels specific to the Siskin and https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VA7287?result-token=bWoaW will give fuselage serials. Finally https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MD105?result-token=mlBfo gives underwing serials leaving just squadron markings to be found / painted.

Does Hannants ship to the states?

17 hours ago, Carl V said:

At last count I have a little over 170 photos of RCAF Siskins, both full view and detail, although a few are probably duplicates. I would be happy to share with you or, possibly, post a few. Please let me know.

Carl                                                                   

If you have any photo's of Siskin IIIA's without tail stripes, I would be interested.

Thanks all, Tweener

• Like 1

Currently on Ebay with 3 days to run, but he's asking more than they usually go for, and postage to the US is another £3.00.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Modeldecal-Decals-31-Hawker-Fury-Bristol-Bulldog-AW-Siskin-decals-in-1-72-Scale/313311944948?hash=item48f2d8e0f4%3Ag%3AqfgAAOSwq-dfusCf&LH_Auction=1&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId .

Worth looking out for it. It only recently sold out at Hannants (like, withing the last 5 years). I've used mine, and it worked very well.

Paul.

Information from CarlV ( Carl Vincent ).

"  I fear that photos of RCAF Siskin 303 without tail stripes are not plentiful. However, Photos 1 and 2 do show it. While the second photo is of very poor quality, it is unique because, as it was taken in January 1939, it is the latest dated Siskin photo I have ever come across. Photos 3 and 4 show another couple of Siskins of that era.

I am not certain what level of detail you are aiming for, but photos 5, 6, 7, & 8 might be of interest.  "

Carl

50649437782_c0185619c6_b.jpg

50649352856_5383bdb815_b.jpg

50649352886_6e902f2215_b.jpg

50649352911_bbcac0958a_b.jpg

50649437847_c157f62f98_b.jpg

50648601618_be87317a6b_b.jpg

50649439597_47cb7e08ee_b.jpg

50648603368_a81dd8f825_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

• Like 6

@Tweener

I have a spare set of decals from my Matchbox Siskin kit that has all the roundels, serials, fin stripes, and the blue markings for a No. 32 Squadron Siskin, J-9338.  (I used the No. 29 Squadron markings for the one I built.) If you don't want to do the No. 32 Sq. one, then you could always apply the roundels and use the fin stripes for a pattern if you wanted to a different airplane. as the serial is printed across the stripes on the rudder decal. PM me if you would like them, and give me   your mailing address,  as I have no use for them.

https://imodeler.com/2015/01/camouflage-markings-armstrong-whitworth-siskin/

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

22 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@Tweener

I have a spare set of decals from my Matchbox Siskin kit that has all the roundels, serials, fin stripes, and the blue markings for a No. 32 Squadron Siskin, J-9338.  (I used the No. 29 Squadron markings for the one I built.) If you don't want to do the No. 32 Sq. one, then you could always apply the roundels and use the fin stripes for a pattern if you wanted to a different airplane. as the serial is printed across the stripes on the rudder decal. PM me if you would like them, and give me   your mailing address,  as I have no use for them.

https://imodeler.com/2015/01/camouflage-markings-armstrong-whitworth-siskin/

I had originally been hoping to build the blue option, so that would be greatly appreciated. I'll have a PM outbound soon.

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Information from CarlV ( Carl Vincent ).

"  I fear that photos of RCAF Siskin 303 without tail stripes are not plentiful. However, Photos 1 and 2 do show it. While the second photo is of very poor quality, it is unique because, as it was taken in January 1939, it is the latest dated Siskin photo I have ever come across. Photos 3 and 4 show another couple of Siskins of that era.

I am not certain what level of detail you are aiming for, but photos 5, 6, 7, & 8 might be of interest.  "

Carl

50649437782_c0185619c6_b.jpg

50649352856_5383bdb815_b.jpg

50649352886_6e902f2215_b.jpg

50649352911_bbcac0958a_b.jpg

50649437847_c157f62f98_b.jpg

50648601618_be87317a6b_b.jpg

50649439597_47cb7e08ee_b.jpg

50648603368_a81dd8f825_b.jpg

Chris, for Carl

Please extend my gratitude to Carl for the photos! I plan to build another Siskin in RCAF markings if I can get another for a reasonable price, so I will store the photos away.

Thanks all for the help, Tweener

2 hours ago, Tweener said:

Please extend my gratitude to Carl for the photos! I plan to build another Siskin in RCAF markings if I can get another for a reasonable price, so I will store the photos away.

Thanks all for the help, Tweener

Not to worry. He'll see it.

Chris

14 hours ago, Tweener said:

Does Hannants ship to the states?

Oh they most definitely do!  I have been ordering stuff from them for decades and have an order in now that just shipped.  Just remember that with the holiday season coming up it sometimes takes a little bit longer for an order to arrive.  I know that you are making arrangements with Mike, but this will help you if you ever decide to order from them in the future.

Later,

Dave

14 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Oh they most definitely do!  I have been ordering stuff from them for decades and have an order in now that just shipped.  Just remember that with the holiday season coming up it sometimes takes a little bit longer for an order to arrive.  I know that you are making arrangements with Mike, but this will help you if you ever decide to order from them in the future.

Later,

Dave

Good to know! I've seen a few nice rarities on there but never pulled the trigger on anything. Maybe now I will have to.

Hannants has been around since 1890 and I have always found them utterly reliable.

Seasonal postal delays are a fact of life but they don't seem to have bitten - yet.  Just this morning I received (in Toronto. Ontario) a letter from my solicitor in Yeovil.  It was posted on November 23 and arrived here in four days flat, plain old air mail no special service.  No muss, no fuss.

Edited by RJP
clarity

1 hour ago, Michou said:

Hobbyshop.cz has decals to replace those "old, yellowish and not very nice decals".  They stock a reprint of the Matchbox Siskin decal sheet - Reference: APCR72030.

Mike

That's an intriguing idea - but a quick look suggests the blue is too pale, even allowing for reproduction on my laptop screen. It's a common misconception that RAF roundels had a pale blue in the pre-WWII era but it's due to early film being more sensitive to blue light and it should be similar to the post war blue. The Modeldecal and Xtradecal sheets referred to above are about right IMHO

PS - that's a cracking site, replacement decals for many old kits!

Edited by rossm
PS