Firestreak Dummy Rounds - Black or Dark Blue?

neilfergylee

Another random question!

I have seen a few images of Javelins with Firestreaks that were obviously drill or dummy rounds.  Some are white, some silver but some very dark.  Might anybody recall if they would be dark blue or black?  I have failed to find a colour picture to confirm either way.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by neilfergylee

• neilfergylee changed the title to Firestreak Dummy Rounds - Black or Dark Blue?
1 hour ago, neilfergylee said:

Another random question!

I have seen a few images of Javelins with Firestreaks that were obviously drill or dummy rounds.  Some are white, some silver but some very dark.  Might anybody recall if they would be dark blue or black?  I have failed to find a colour picture to confirm either way.

Thanks,

Neil

They would probably be Oxford Blue post 1964 (Oxford Blue = Drill)

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

@Selwyn and then I came across this (in an electronic copy of an old 'Warpaint' book.  I think they may well be black.  What do you think?

spacer.png

I'd hardly say it was convincing either way 🙄

The things we do, eh?

Neil

Both are probably correct, pre 1964 the drill colour scheme  would be black, post 64 Oxford blue. The UK  adopted the NATO colour marking system at that time. There was obviously some overlap as  it took a while to get things repainted, which was probably done on the next servicing.

Selwyn

2 minutes ago, neilfergylee said:

Hi @Selwyn,

Thank you for that.  In the end, I decided to go for black, so my Javelin FAW.7 fit-out will be 2 x active Firestreaks and 2 x dummies.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Neil

Be aware! This is in real life a big no no for safety reasons, the RAF never flew/flies with live and dummy weapons fitted at the same time.

Selwyn 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2020 at 16:00, Selwyn said:

Be aware! This is in real life a big no no for safety reasons, the RAF never flew/flies with live and dummy weapons fitted at the same time.

Selwyn 

Oh lordy you are right!  I took a look and drill and live rounds are never mixed.  Thanks for that: I'll have a rethink.

Neil

14 hours ago, scotthldr said:

My understanding is that anything finished in Oxford Blue is ‘not for flight’?

This general rule is correct, however I have seen numerous examples of Drill weapons flown!

Selwyn

• Like 2