Hurricane G-AMAU "The Last of The Many" small descriptions?

KayFranz

Hi

I'm looking for information on small inscriptions on the Hawker Hurricane G-AMAU ("The Last of the Many"). I mean these two inscriptions on the port side, rear, bottom of the fuselage.

spacer.png

One is above the lifting area. I thought it was just LIFT HERE, but the first word is longer, maybe six or seven letters, the second one - maybe four or five letters. The arrow below text, ofc.

The second description looks like a weight description, but only two lines of text. The first one is probably FUEL & OIL and then their weight in LBS, but this one is lower? Three words, the first about eight letters, the second - four, maybe five, the last quite long. And the number at the end.

Does anyone know what was written there? And even better - can anyone show some good quality, legible photos of these descriptions?

THX, KayFranz

• Like 1

copyright Hornby Models 2017? (Yes, I know, go sit with @corsaircorp in the Naughty Corner and think about my behavior!)

Seriously, somebody here must have the capability to enlarge/enhance the photo to decipher the text...maybe that neat optical scanner from the movie Blade Runner?

Mike

• Haha 6

9 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

I did check my LifeLike G-AMAU decal set, but that text is not present, alas.

Ya, I know it...

8 hours ago, gingerbob said:

the first (of the two) lines says EMPTY WEIGHT

Rather TARE WEIGHT...

It's possible that this short text is TRESTLE HERE ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KayFranz said:

Ya, I know it...

Rather TARE WEIGHT...

Trestle here is under wings ...

May be tyre pressure...lbs

CC

Hasegawa 1/48 Hurricane IIc 'Last of the Many', by Tom Cleaver https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/tmch2c.htm

Hans Joachim Marseille Bf-109F-4/Trop markings and paint? | Aircraft of World War II - WW2Aircraft.net Forums https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/hans-joachim-marseille-bf-109f-4-trop-markings-and-paint.36637/

Thank you.  I know this site, but there is no information about these subtitles on this page.

I hope that somewhere in local collections, difficult to trace from the net or in some old books or magazines, there are photographs or even the content of these inscriptions.

And that's what I'm looking for.

----------------
One hour later...

Surprise!!!

spacer.png

Do you have any ideas for reading these inscriptions?

My suspicions here (I wrote it in WHITE color :) ) ---> FIRST AID + SUPPORT HERE + EMPTY WEIGHT / MAXIMUM LOAD WEIGHT PERMISSION???   😜

Anyway - after this show of software possibilities, I started to believe what they show in the movies ...

Edited by KayFranz
My suspicions...
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The one in the green box above is FIRST AID

On the rear fuselage, the most forward marking is SUPPORT HERE

Further back the upper line is EMPTY WEIGHT and then later on will be a four-digit number followed by LB

Lower line is *something* possibly MAXIMUM TOTAL WEIGHT and I can't guess the last word, but again then a four-digit number followed by LB

And having now looked at your white-out text I'd say MAXIMUM TOTAL WEIGHT PERMITTED, not PERMISSION

As for the weights, the empty weight starts with a 5 but is probably not a lot higher than 5000 LB given the removal of the guns. 

Maximum depends on what the CAA said, it;s not necessarily the military max gross, but probably something beginning with a 7. 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, KayFranz said:

Ya, I know it...

Rather TARE WEIGHT...

Possibly? Trestles were placed under the tail at this point to lift it in order to test and align the guns.

Good morning...

I woke up in the morning and found a picture in the email, that explained, what was written on the rudder in a later version of TLoTM paint. At this point I marked.

spacer.png

Big thanks.

I got others too, but this time it won't be that easy.

spacer.png

The plane also had a three-line inscription on the left wing, next to the oil filler cap. Typically, the following text was placed there:

OIL
9 GALLS
AIRSPACE
1 1/2 GALLS

But there are only three lines here. The most probable version seems to me: OIL | ??? | 9 GALLS.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Rgds, KF

Edited by KayFranz

On 11/25/2020 at 4:17 PM, 72modeler said:

Seriously, somebody here must have the capability to enlarge/enhance the photo to decipher the text...maybe that neat optical scanner from the movie Blade Runner?

BTW: that's how you get those wonky incorrect stencil data some early Trumpy kits had.

Enlarging and interpolating text from a compressed, lossy format image is fraught with disaster.

Maybe someone has tech drawings for the stencil data? I would expect the format of the text to be defined to conform with regulations, even if the colours and exact locations may differ due to modifications made (such as the extra oil tank in the wing root).

Perhaps @Troy Smith or @Graham Boak ?

On 11/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, KayFranz said:

Hi

I'm looking for information on small inscriptions on the Hawker Hurricane G-AMAU ("The Last of the Many"). I mean these two inscriptions on the port side, rear, bottom of the fuselage.

spacer.png

One is above the lifting area. I thought it was just LIFT HERE, but the first word is longer, maybe six or seven letters, the second one - maybe four or five letters. The arrow below text, ofc

According to the Aviaeology Hurricane stencil sheet it says TRESTLE HERE on a standard Hurricane.  2nd hand evidence perhaps, but Aviaeology are on the very short list of transfer manufacturers I would trust.

OK, but I think SUPPORT HERE is more likely.

Judge for yourself: https://www.diomedia.com/stock-photo-hawker-hurricane-iic-pz865g-amau-image25031507.html

You have to press the magnifying glass icon (left) and then zoom to the maximum. Other photos, of course, too.

My friend, who sent the enlarged fragments, made a joke for me. I suspected that it was impossible ;))

But I'm still waiting for attempts to guess what is written on the left wing.

3 hours ago, Seahawk said:

According to the Aviaeology Hurricane stencil sheet it says TRESTLE HERE on a standard Hurricane.  2nd hand evidence perhaps, but Aviaeology are on the very short list of transfer manufacturers I would trust.

It does indeed. And if this were a military Hurricane in service markings, that is what it would say. But it isn't a military Hurricane, it's not in service markings, and it is abundantly clear that most service stencils do not appear on it and that many of the stencils that do appear  on it do not conform to the service pattern.

So what a service Hurricane would wear is not really relevant.

23 hours ago, KayFranz said:

Anyway - after this show of software possibilities, I started to believe what they show in the movies ..

How did you process the photo?  Very interested in how this was done ?

yes, I could search it but since you have shown these results....

cheers

T

I can't say because I don't know. The photos were enlarged by my friend who works for You-Know-Who.

When I asked him, he replied: something like Photoshop + two plugins + one specialized program + 30 seconds of work per "cluster" + 20 years of experience.

Don't ask me what a "cluster" is. I just combined the pictures sent to me into one.

BTW - any suggestions for the inscription on the oil tank?

KF

you may find this 

1 hour ago, KayFranz said:

I can't say because I don't know. The photos were enlarged by my friend who works for You-Know-Who.

When I asked him, he replied: something like Photoshop + two plugins + one specialized program + 30 seconds of work per "cluster" + 20 years of experience.

Don't ask me what a "cluster" is. I just combined the pictures sent to me into one.

Thanks. 

you may find this of interest.

https://www.key.aero/forum/historic-aviation/23820-blue-hurricane

"During the current work being undertaken on PZ865, we removed a blanked over air scoop about the size of a 2p coin. Under the rivetted blanking plate was the intake scoop in the original blue paintwork:) I duly fetched my books of colour chips and set to work. Although the colour does change in different lighting conditions (they all do) it was a strong match for one of them: Oxford Blue. Here's a picture, you decide...

Oxford%20Blue%20002.jpg

"

Note BS105  is  wartime RAF Roundel Blue.

A request, can your friend do the same for the name under the cockpit here please, which seems do-able

DpswxTRW0AAwGtj.jpg

serial  (P25?? )  possibly P2539,  as it fits with the squadron.  

50648743566_1aab22a091_b.jpgHurricane TP-O P25xx  may 1940. by losethekibble, on Flickr

Mystery Hurricane, serial in shadow,   

50654056642_3bbd42a1d3_b.jpgHurricane 'A' Marielle by losethekibble, on Flickr

Don't worry if a hassle,  just be great to find out if possible.