English Electric Lightning - holes in belly tank

Pete F

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place or has been answered before. I have searched but can't find the answer. 

My question is what is the purpose of the line of five small holes that run centrally the length of the belly tank on the EE Lightning F6 1/72 Airfix kit. I have seen builds where they are filled and others where they are not. Any advice would be appreciated so I know how to deal with them.

• Like 1

I was going to guess at vents for the guns but looking at F.6s without the gun packs they are visible on those too. Hopefully a Lightning expert will be along in a flash.

Duncan B

p.s. I do remember being told what they were for but I'm jiggered if I can remember the actual reason, age does strange things to the memory!! 

• Thanks 1

Fuel/water sediment test points ? but I cant recall ever seeing them being used.

Guns vented through the holes in the Gun doors (the gun doors caught the spent cases too)

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter, Have a google Ian black  or Firestreak books, Ian's an ex Lightning pilot and a cracking photographer got some great air to air photos on the Lightning both here in the UK and South Africa.

https://hushkit.net/2015/06/30/english-electric-lightning-english-skies-ripped-apart-by-riveted-lunacy/

https://www.firestreakbooks.com/  this will show you on the title page what you need to know I think.

Edited by tweeky
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

I'd show the diagram if it's not breaching copyrights.

Thanks but I suspect it would breech the copyright. I wonder what they are attaching?

24 minutes ago, Pete F said:

Thanks but I suspect it would breech the copyright. I wonder what they are attaching?

Pete, on the diagram, (although it might seem unlikely), it looks like they go right through the centreline and attach to the fuselage underside??

24 minutes ago, Pete F said:

Is this the best book on the aircraft?

I wouldn't claim that it's the 'best', as that's always going to be a matter of opinions. Some are best for one thing and others for another. It's a good general book which happened to include

a diagram that I was after (on page 219 as mentioned).

Like Tweeky says, if you're after photos (or want to know what it was like to fly the Lightning), you can't go wrong with any of Ian Black's books.

Here's a selection of some of mine that I've dug out to try and find your answer.

My 'faves' are the Ian Black ones at bottom left and (the very well thumbed photo book) top right. 

spacer.png

Some are better for period photos and others (like the Danny Coreman one 2nd from left at bottom) show all the intricate details on existing aircraft. Cheers Bob.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Pete F said:

I wonder what they are attaching?

The fuel tank to the fuselage. There's more fastenings on the outer edges.

The belly fuel tank on Lightnings is a conformal tank separate from the fuselage.

The bottom of a Lightning fuselage is a straight line when viewed in profile apart from the curves up to the nose and tail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the English Electric Lightning A comprehensive guide for modellers by Richard J Caruana is a great book,

it has a good diagram of the Ventral/gun tank there's two attachment points for both the centre and rear ventral tank.

In the forward part of the gun tank there was a similar hole this was the No1 engine starter exhaust exited.   

Edited by tweeky
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, bobsyouruncle said:

Here's a selection of some of mine that I've dug out to try and find your answer.

Thanks - amazing collection. Inspires me to start my Lightning book collection. Don't tell my wife!

46 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The belly fuel tank on Lightnings is a conformal tank separate from the fuselage.

Thanks to all again. I now understand. Hopefully this thread will be of use to future modellers when faced with these holes.

What an amazing repository of knowledge here on Britmodeller.

2 hours ago, bobsyouruncle said:

If it's the holes I'm thinking you're thinking about, on page 219 of Tim Mclelland's Lightning book, they're labelled as 'attachment bolts'.

That's it! I remember now (better late than never) access for the attachment for the forward belly tank/gun pack. If I remember correctly Dennis Robinson (sloegin57) )posted some photos of them on here a few years back when someone else asked a similar question.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pete F said:

For completeness this was the earlier posting referred to above:

For some reason my searching didn't find it.

It's a bit of a worry that I remembered the post from 2012 but couldn't remember the actual content lol 

Duncan B

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete F said:

If they are holes for attachment points maybe they are actually access points for the bolts holding the belly tank on; I'm fairly sure the tank and gun packs were removable.

I've also checked through "Last of the Lightnings" by Ian Black and the holes appear to be clean and not venting oil/smoke/fuel etc.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, iainpeden said:

If they are holes for attachment points maybe they are actually access points for the bolts holding the belly tank on; I'm fairly sure the tank and gun packs were removable.

All the tanks were demountable the four holes (two in the centre two in the rear) were for spigot type bolts that held the tanks on, The gun tank/ fwd ventral this also has one hole at the front centre but it was a smaller diameter  this was the No1 starter exhaust. This tank was attached via a number of bolts  the ran down each side where the fuselage meets the tank.