Westland WAH-64 Apache 2007 Jugroom Fort

perdu

Jugroom Fort is a complex of fortified buildings south-west of Garmsir in Helmand Province, Afghanistan and was used as a base by the Taliban in 2007.

During an attack by Royal Marines several soldiers were wounded and casevaced out and after a head count one man was unaccounted for, a search by Apaches found his heat source deep inside the Fort where a rescue by ground forces was deemed impossible under the very heavy fire from the Taliban fighters.

The Apache crews suggested an unconventional way to get him, Lance Corporal Mathew Ford back to the aid station and evacuation by Chinook by carrying in a recovery team on the wings of the Apaches.

In incredibly poor dust-out conditions the rescue was undertaken and is very much detailed in Ed Macy's Book Apache.

However, sadly Lance Corporal Ford died from his wounds before reaching safety.

Mr Macy was crew in Ugly Five One and for their actions in the rescue he and another pilot received The Military Cross and the other two crew members were awarded The Distinguished Flying Cross.

This is my model of Ugly Five One, ZJ224, Mr Macy's steed during the action.

Part of a dual build of Italeri Helicopters the build is here.

And the photographs are here:

P1010180-2.jpg

P1010181-2.jpg

P1010182.jpg

P1010185.jpg

P1010186-2.jpg

P1010187-2.jpg

To show that the rotors DO turn on this one (mine usually do not!)

P1010188-2.jpg

And without the harsh light of the flash, in the north-facing light of the grim and rainy morning which greeted me this morning.

P1010183-2.jpg

it's a bit like dusk in the desert huh?

P1010184-2.jpg

The model has lots of alterations and has been painted in Colourcoats ACUS25 Helicopter Drab and detail touching in was done using Vallejo 70.979 German Cam Dark Green, which gives a colour match so good I cant tell the difference.

Benefits are that the basic paint coat is fine, thin and enamel paint strong but any touch-ins necessary can be done happily in no-odour Vallejo. The best of both worlds in a house of paint aroma sufferers.

win win.

OK that is it, my tribute to the helicopter crews who fought for us.

And to Lance Corporal Mathew Ford RM    RIP

• Like 38

• perdu changed the title to Westland WAH-64 Apache via Italeri AH-64A
  • perdu changed the title to Westland WAH-64 Apache 2007 Jugroom Fort

Nice one Bill,..... I`d hope that the lads who went in strapped to the winglets received awards too? Great model and this aircraft must be a contender for preservation at Middle Wallop one day,... if the AAC and its Museum is still in residence by then?

Great to see a model representing such modern day bravery,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was lucky enough to meet one of the chaps strapped to the side of one of the Apaches involved a while back (identity withheld for PERSEC reasons.)

What was intended to be a brief hello and me presenting him with a model of the same helo that I had built, quickly unfolded into a valuable life lesson that you should never try and outdrink a Marine!

It was a very humbling experience to hear his recollection of the event though, and I can vouch that - at least in my experience - those involved were just as genuine and deserving of praise as all accounts of the event portray. 

You've done a cracking job of your Apache. The Italeri kit isn't exactly the best offering by any means, and you've done so much more with that kit than I would've thought possible. Big congrats on a fantastic build! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for that Daryl, appreciated mate.

They had to have been very special people, glad to hear they were from you.

Yes the Italeri Apache was er, interesting.

Never doing another and that is a fact.

Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Fantastic finish Bill. Really (and still) enjoyable build thread too. The work that goes into your models is amazing, how you manage to get something that one second looks like a jumble of patchwork plastic the next a stunning model every time is beyond me. We are not worthy. 🌟

Bravo dear boy. 

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/12/2020 at 23:29, The Spadgent said:

how you manage to get something that one second looks like a jumble of patchwork plastic the next a stunning model every time is beyond me

I know how he does, I said it already: it's sorcery!

:rofl:

Ciao 

• Haha 2