1/144 B52

Big Dave S

Hi Everyone

I see Great Wall Hobbies have released a model kit of the iconic B52, something I'm looking forward to getting hold of.

Has anyone seen one of these in the flesh?

There are a few already on the market in 1/144 scale, and they are surprisingly expensive. It made me wonder why this is the case?

Last few, now collector's items? Are they short runs in this scale?

The Victor and the Vulcan were both over thirty quid, and to be fair they're really nice quality.

Anyway, bring it on, and a letter to Santa is getting posted soon.

Best regards...

Guess that the high prices are due to the fact that these kits are currently OOP. In imy corner of the world a Great Wall kit delivered from China is the cheapest I can find for a Buff in this scale.. around £30, that makes sense for a kit of this size... even in 1/144 scale the B-52 is quite a big beast.

Not seen one yet but the pictures I've seen seem to show a very detailed kit

22 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Guess that the high prices are due to the fact that these kits are currently OOP. In imy corner of the world a Great Wall kit delivered from China is the cheapest I can find for a Buff in this scale.. around £30, that makes sense for a kit of this size... even in 1/144 scale the B-52 is quite a big beast.

They do look nice. And certainly large. What is OOP?

On 25/11/2020 at 09:44, Giorgio N said:

They do look nice. And certainly large. What is OOP?

1/144 Revell B-52H(and G) is out of production ( https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-4584-b-52h-stratofortress--187428 ) and is quite nice model that represents late 80th-early 90th B-52H (and there was a G repack as well). It has nicely detailed wheel wells, vortex generators, rear gun and acceptable for 1/144 scale approximation for pilot's cabin and a modern for that time loadout of AGM-86. People who measured it against drawings say that it is a bit too narrow for the real B-52, however it does look good when is built.

1/144 Minicraft B-52 taking it's roots all the way in 1970 and was released as Crown, Revell and Academy ( https://www.scalemates.com/kits/crown-542-1000-boeing-b-52h-stratofortress--136546 ). Original model represented accurate for that time B-52H. Surprisingly enough model is well detailed, has engraved panel lines and very good fit. Compared to the Revell one it has a bit less panel lines, does not have vortex generators, no wheel wells, too simplistic pilot's cabin and rear gun, however could be built with flaps deployed and armed with Hound Dogs, Skybolts and SRAMs (also includes a 2 models of Quail, however since those were carried internally it could be only displayed as standalone inflight model), also has clear stands to display those missiles as standalone models. Goes together quite easy (however has few injection marks that needs to be puttied out) and according to the people who measured it against drawing is very accurate. Through the years has been "upgraded" to look as 90th H (added few sensor bumps and rear section extension) model as well as high tail D/E/F model (new "early model" fuselage and 2 sets of engines as well as free fall bomb external loadout for the Vietnam birds). At the current price of $50 IMHO is a bit overpriced however is a solid model, it is still produced and is quite easy to find in US (last time I was at my local drug dealer hobby shop they had all of the variants).

Scalemates also claim that Academy is planning new tool B-52 https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12622-boeing-b-52--1261363 so it would be very interesting to compare both new offerings against existing models. 

Edited by Doom3r
  • Like 1

PS: It is really sad that all these manufacturers think about only latest and greatest H model (with the exception of Minicraft) instead of iconic high tail early model... Not even mentioning "B" model "balls 8" or "A" "balls 3" with X-15...

EC81804.jpg

Edited by Doom3r
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Doom3r said:

PS: It is really sad that all these manufacturers think about only latest and greatest H model (with the exception of Minicraft) instead of iconic high tail early model... Not even mentioning "B" model "balls 8" or "A" "balls 3" with X-15...

Can we add in the XB and YB-52s? There's aftermarket sets in 1/72 scale but the most complete one is horribly expensive and the other, while not expensive, gives only the nose section and its accuracy, to me, is a bit questionable.

31 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Coincidentally........  I dug this out from the stash earlier today, whilst trying to decide what would be my winter project.

spacer.png

Mike

Do you know if currently somebody produces NB-52A conversion sets and how to get those (as well as decal sheets)? I am currently have latest repop of this in SAC markings that I would gladly convert to the balls three (since I already have early H built in using old Revell decal sheet "Dear Rocky...") 

19 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Can we add in the XB and YB-52s? There's aftermarket sets in 1/72 scale but the most complete one is horribly expensive and the other, while not expensive, gives only the nose section and its accuracy, to me, is a bit questionable.

Well, I was trying to be "realistic". However it would be really great if somebody would come up with those in 144 scale.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, David H said:

IIRC, Minicraft DID do a 1/144th scale B-52F, with the taller tail, J-57s with external generators and AFAIK, the shorter nose. In theory anyway, that gets you a lot of the way there.

-d-

Yes, Minicraft did B-52D/E/F boxings (in both Vietnam war and SAC markings) which are nice, however I meant new releases (GWH & Academy)... Though after checking unboxing video on the Youtube of the GWH model it looks like a marginal upgrade from the Revell one and not a huge leap ahead from the Crown one. The biggest difference is that it has bomb bay, few bumps, pods, latest weapons and gunless tail. What really surprised me is that even they try to do full interior you'd better get crew into those seats that look even worse than Crown's. However it is a welcome addition and hopefully they would try to milk it in a way like DML milked B-52 in 1/200 which had even "balls eight" with X-15 and Pegasus.

On 26/11/2020 at 16:31, Big Dave S said:

I like Academy. But will be aiming at GWH when it's out.

Actually, Academy's offerings seem a tad erratic. Their Banshee was very simple, and a quick-fix build, but had a number of rough edges (nose wheel short, rocket mountings very askew) that mean it'll never be more than a practice model that I keep in the cabinet and am at least pleased with the paint job.

Got their B-47 in 1/144, so am hoping for a better kit there.

Everything else by them has been good: F-8 Crusader, Hellcat, Corsair, Warhawk.

On 11/26/2020 at 3:00 PM, bootneck said:

If anyone has a Revell, or even a Crown B-52H kit and is interested in doing a conversion to a B-52B/C/D or E then Domi at Retrokit does a resin conversion set for this.  He also does a set of HSAB & MER Pylons.

Mike

Nice! I’ve never seen that one before.

Minicraft’s tall tail B-52s still have the too-thick wing from the earlier kits and there’s something off about the windscreen.

Ben

On 11/28/2020 at 5:39 AM, Big Dave S said:

Actually, Academy's offerings seem a tad erratic. Their Banshee was very simple, and a quick-fix build, but had a number of rough edges (nose wheel short, rocket mountings very askew) that mean it'll never be more than a practice model that I keep in the cabinet and am at least pleased with the paint job.

Got their B-47 in 1/144, so am hoping for a better kit there.

Everything else by them has been good: F-8 Crusader, Hellcat, Corsair, Warhawk.

Their Banshee (as well as B-47, B-58 and I-16) are old Hobbycraft kits. Good for the time they were released originally but should not be compared against their latest releases like Crusader, Phantom II, Super Hornet or B-1B.

• Like 1