VC-5 Checkerboard colours

Spad

Hi

I'm looking for some guidance on the colours for the checker pattern on the tails of many of the VC-5 aircraft.

I ask because I am really keen to build the checker-tailed DP-2E "128342". I spotted the Caracal Sheet 72057 "P2V Neptune PART 2" and bought it as it included that very machine. I have always believed it to be red/orange (aka International Orange) and yellow (Orange Yellow?) so was a little surprised when the sheet arrived and had red checkers (to be laid over a yellow fin).

Any thoughts?

ATB
Rick

There's a profile of your bird in Warpaint Series No. 51, "Lockheed Neptune" showing Red and Yellow checks. No photo yet

EDIT: found a B&W photo in Squadron's "PV Neptune in action" Caption says Red/yellow checks

Edited by fubar57

Thanks for that fubar57 - I have that "In Action" and have seen that same pic (or ones in the same series) on-line. To me the fin seems to be a much paler shade of grey than the bar in in the national insignia. Personally I never trust descriptive captions without specific names or FS numbers,  but I did find this pic which suggests orange/yellow to me (I base this on a comparison with the Insignia Red in the star and bar).

http://hikokikumo.net/a5500-60-Sinmeiwa-P2V5-DP2E-Hamano.jpg

On top of this any reference online to VC-5 always seems to show orange.

The hunt continues....