TV, IR and photocontrast guided bombs of the Red Army WW2

Aardvark

Hi, all!

Probably, this work on guided aerial bombs of the Red Army Air Force pre-war and WW2 will be of interest to someone.

1. Self-Guided  photocontrast air bombs  KAB-436 and KAB-5103 (design NII-24) tasted from 1939 to 1941: 

scale_600

scale_600

Bomb KAB-436 - anti ship bomb - " cruiser/ battleship killer"

2. TV-controlled airbomb

TUB (Design LIIS) 1942 -project:

scale_600

3. Self-Guiding Infrared air bomb

SB1-M (design VEI)

scale_600

scale_600

Work from 1942 to 1945, tasted in 1945, late infrared head used on post war self-guiding Infrared air bomb

SNAB-3000 "Crab":

scale_600

More information in Russian article

"Tele-controlled Red Army: guided aerial bombs of the Red Army"

here:

https://zen.yandex.ru/media/id/5f251c2d9c243b211cc751a5/teleupravliaemye-krasnoarmeicy-upravliaemye-aviabomby-rkka-5f8ade46a70d4515e74e9aae?fbclid=IwAR1_mibZyMHLcB5WKpf28xrVWT4Ww4EMDcv1OjH1jUS34obsdWNQCa8RiM8

B.R.

Serge

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Wow, and I thought I'm quite well informed about the technical/weapon developments in WW2 but I was not aware of the Soviet efforts on guided bombs.

Many thanks for sharing these interesting information Serge. Can you recommend any books/literature on this topic?

Thanks!

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

Not to mention the Russian inventor of the electric light bulb, the telephone, the computer, television, manned motorized flight, the newspaper, the internet, the wheel, the car and so on.

Makes me wonder why we learn about guided Russian bombs of WW II in 2020 for the first time. How come Airfix and Frog never produced a kit of an Илью́шин with one of those?

• Like 1